Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+2
RenaissanceMom
genkicoll
6 posters

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Empty Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Post by genkicoll Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:40 am

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

by Phoenix Online Studios - 2013

Available at:
    Official Site - Episodes or Complete Season
    GOG
    Steam

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Fea_wide_2

FBI agent Erica Reed has an uncanny talent: she can see the past and piece together how a crime unfolded. But not even this sixth sense could save her younger brother, Scott, from a brutal serial killer. Three years later, the investigation into Scott’s murder has gone cold -- but Erica’s work has only just begun.

Jump into Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, the exciting four-part series that brings Erica face to face with the deranged demons of her past. A serial killer is loose in Boston -- one who seems to be leaving deliberate clues that only Erica, with her unique post-cognitive abilities, can uncover. Is she finally on her way to solving Scott’s murder? Or, blinded by vengeance, is she falling into a trap that could cost Erica her life? And how does this new killer know her secret?

Winner of six 2013 Reader’s Choice Aggie Awards, including Game of the Year, this edition of Cognition includes everything in the original game, plus brand new director commentary for all 4 episodes and exclusive content including concept art, storyboards, outtakes and other behind-the-scenes material about the development!

Developed by Phoenix Online Studios (makers of the King’s Quest spin-off The Silver Lining), with contributions from veteran game designer Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight, Gray Matter) and comic book artist Romano Molenaar (Batman, X-Men, The Darkness), Cognition is a thrilling adventure that grips you and won’t let go.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Screen_1
    Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Ss_88b457325e17ab8be43784da734a9340493c1476.600x338
    Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Ss_c3e83328b086cb62b6140c60a3ebb47df042cf84.600x338

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Empty Re: Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Post by genkicoll Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Episode 1 - The Hangman (Adventure)

Immediately upon entering the game you get options for resolution: anywhere from 640x480 to 1960x1280, and you can choose the quality of the graphics as well (nice for those with slower systems.)  If you want to play Windowed, check the option here.  Once you're in and check out the Settings, you'll see there are three tabs with options:  Display with Anti-aliasing (which I didn't touch; ) Audio with separate sliders for Music, Sound Effects, Voices, and Master Volume; and Gameplay with options for Subtitles, Hints, Tutorial, and English or Dutch for the language.

SO, the game!  Let's get to the game!

I highly recommend having the hints and tutorials ON the first time you play... and maybe subsequent times, as well Snicker  These are not invasive at all, and it's important to understand the mechanics, which are not your basic adventure fare!  OK, some are pretty basic.  For instance, click on an active item and see a circle with one to three options:  An Eye (the better to see you with my dear!) a Hand to physically interact with things, and a Suitcase, which is how you use your inventory.  Whatever item you have showing in the top right corner is the item which you'll try to use when you click on that suitcase button.

So how to change the inventory item?  Click on the square box at the top right of the screen to open your inventory.  Now you have three options (again?  Yes, again!)  There's an Eye (same as above), a Hang (yes... same again!) and a Plus Sign, which is what you use to combine items.

Sound complicated?  It's really not, it just takes a little bit of getting used to.

Back to the inventory, you select your "active" item (the one you're currently holding) by simply clicking on the item you want.  You don't have to click on any of the options to change what you're holding.

Double-clicking will make Erica run (yay!) and when we click on an exit, you automatically leave the scene -- we don't have to wait for her to walk over there.  Very much appreciated!

Hold down the space bar or click and hold the question mark at the top left of the screen to show you the active areas in the scene(s).  Also at the top left are quick access to your cell phone (much easier and faster than accessing it through your inventory!) and clicking on the computer image will take you back to the main game page where you can SAVE SAVE SAVE!  I recommend doing this often!  For one thing here are choices you can make that will affect gameplay, and you may want to do things differently the next time you play.  In the end you will find yourself in the same place, but the journey will differ depending on your actions.  Second is that you can -- and will -- die.  You get to replay this sequence as often as you need to, but still... knowing that you can die makes things a little nerve-racking! Laugh

Your cell phone will be invaluable to you.  You use to search the web, look up music, make phone calls (of course,) take pictures, look at the calendar, and make NOTES.  Yes, you make your own notes.   There is no journal -- if there's something you want to remember, be sure to add it to the notes in your phone.  There is one other option:  Message Dad.  Sending messages to Dad is how you get HINTS in the game, and they are truly HINTS, and not just telling you exactly what to do.

The art style is probably the first thing you notice about the game.  They are very graphic novel-esque, with cartoon-like cutscenes.  Don't let that throw you off!  The voices and mannerisms of the characters are so beautifully done, and the story so intensely interesting that you quickly become immersed in this world.  I'm kind of glad that the graphics aren't any more realistic than they are, as it would be just too much for me, I think.  I'm so impressed with how well Phoenix Studios integrated realistic human movements into the characters, right down to the way we tend to rub our fingers together to get the salt off after we've eaten a potato chip.  VERY NICELY DONE!  Okay

The story itself is gritty and dark, as would be expected with a real life-type environment.  We have horrible antagonists, strong personalities, some f-bombs, and semi-disturbing imagery.  It's not gory but do expect to see things you would see on a crime-type TV drama.

Speaking of which, our forensics guy and someone we interrogate remind me strongly of characters in Criminal Minds, and that's an apt comparison since the game kind of plays out like this TV drama:  Intense, full of personality, and very interesting.

Ahh, I just realized that I haven't mentioned what's so different about the gameplay, yet! D\\'oh!  Haha, there's just so much to mention!  What we have is a psychic detective!  As we progress through the game, we learn new ways to use our abilities.  Hopefully you've got your tutorial on so that you'll learn what that's all about!  Whistle  To use your abilities, you click on the glowing ball at the bottom left side of the screen, then click on the item(s) you want to learn about and click on the ball (which will now have an image in it) again.

The psychic abilities are, I think, what really makes this game stand out for me.  It's so beautifully and seamlessly done... I'm just so impressed.

For me the gameplay was very intuitive, and I love not only being able to make my own choices about how the story plays out, but also that there is freedom to explore as you wish.  Yes, it if was more linear I wouldn't be traveling around so much, but in this game, I really LIKE that I had this freedom!

I admit that I had to use the walkthrough a few times... mostly because it took me more than one sitting to play the game, and I forgot some things.  Twice, though, I got completely stuck despite the walkthrough  Embarrassed   The first time was my own stupidity, and the second was because I didn't even think to try the solution Rolling Eyes  Silly me Silly face

Overall I'd say that this is the most immersive pure adventure I've played (not that I've played that many.  Laugh  )  I truly enjoyed every minute I spent as Erica Reed, and I most definitely need to get the other three episodes!  Now to wait for a really stellar deal to come along... Overreaction

Highly recommended if you like playing the detective!  Okay

RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!! I'm waiting for a killer deal on the whole season at GOG.  Whistle
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:39 am

Yeah, that's where I am now.  I'm kicking myself for not getting the series when it was at Daily Royale, but I won the first episode in a contest, and at the time (of the sale) I wasn't sure I'd ever play it!

jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks to you Genki, i'm deep into Cognition I, and am so loving this game  Happy bounce So you were right... I don't want to play the others.  I MUST play the others   da blame i'm gonna fall behind on some other games I was so stoked to be almost caught up on, but it's a good trade off.  I know I wont be ready to quit when this one's finished.  After finishing Face Noir (a good one, btw), I thought i'd give the adventure thing a break but nooooo... Erica pulled me in so fast with that amazing opening, I couldn't even think about waiting another day let alone a week.  Thanks again for sharing  Heart   Who knew it'd be like giving drugs to a junkie - I just want more!  Hey, wait a minute - YOU knew!!   Elk grin LOL.  - j.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm

haha, yeah, I knew Silly face  So did the gal at Phoenix Online who gave me permission to pass it along to you, I'm sure!  That's how good it is!

It may be that Cognition will come up in GOG's current sale, so keep an eye out!

jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:03 pm

There are some good sales going on all over the place, & i'll be trying to watch 'em all for Cognition.  That's not as easy as it sounds; it's soo hard to let other goodies pass by while waiting to scarf up the other Cognitions but gonna try to bide my time & be patient  Yeah right    Rolling Eyes   Sweat drop  Whistle ... which is definitely not my forte Smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:20 pm

We're going to wait on a group play of Cognition for you to get the rest of the series, Jess.  See? New Group Play Proposals.

I will, of course, let you know when I see a great price!

jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Excellent!  Deal me in when y'all are ready for that  Elk grin
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 am

Okay, I gotta get Cognition, right? I mean, $7.49 for the full season - 4 parts, yes? And it's a cool game, not too hard for imbeciles like me?

Well, I bought it anyway, cuz it looks good and genki liked it!! lol, total game purchase this month - 23 and rising lol
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Where did you find the full season for $7.49? OH!  We must let jessmom know so she can grab it!

Wooo, found it! Happy bounce  Messaging Jessmom now!

jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm a Happy Camper Laugh  she sings, poorly but with heart... 'cause the full season of cognition is on my comp  Yahoo!  .  JTF, I do hope you
    enjoy it.  I absolutely loved the first (thanks to Genki) & can't wait to get rolling on the rest.  If I was the character in a game, i'd be Erica.  She's such a badass wench, I love it, hehe.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Oh good, you found it. Was busy sleeping and only just now have seen your post, genki!

I knew it was a good one, just couldn't remember why lol - Erica Reed! Good. Will definitely be trying to actually play this one. Sometime. In between the other 400 games I have on my desktop lol  Big smile 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:06 am

Muwahaha Evil Grin  Yes you will... because we'll be doing a group play of it as soon as Rmom and jessmom are ready to start! Laugh

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

Actually, I am just fiddling around with it now, getting to grips with what it's about. I like it better than the others I have bought since I started reading all the deals you put up!  Laugh 

I mean, I can see it, and I can read it, and I click on stuff and things happen! Cool! Happy bounce 

Have not yet managed to download all four yet, they are taking forever. Then I have 12 other adventures to download lol - heaven knows what that'll include! Huh? 

I have started a special "genki got me into this" folder for these games and separating them from my HOP adventures - the folder's called "Truly Adventurous" hee hee
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 am

I have started a special "genki got me into this" folder for these games

Ahahaha Belly laugh  Awesome!

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 am

Game Update & Price Drop: Cognition: GOTY Edition
    Detective-mystery meets paranormal thriller!

Today Cognition. An Erica Reed Thriller, an episodic point-and-click adventure story packed with challenging puzzles, branching paths, and a disquieting mood, is getting a free update to Game of the Year Edition and a permanent price drop! Not only you'll be getting plenty of fresh goodies--like developer commentary, a collection of concept art, or the GOG-exclusive vol.2 of the soundtrack, now the game costs only $14.99! Actually, scratch that! You can also take advantage of our GOTY Edition launch discount and get the game 33% off! That's only $9.99 for an entire goodie-packed season of Cognition. An Erica Reed Thriller! The offer lasts until Thursday, August 8, at 9:59AM GMT.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller 51851e434f3c3e379e3421ff491a5d522cb28c31_smallErica Reed is an exceptional detective, but being special always comes at a price. Her extraordinary gift, allowing her a peek into the past by simply touching an object, makes her the ultimate bloodhound, and yet, causes excruciating mental pain. Her own past is marred irreparably by a personal tragedy. Can she conquer her demons by solving one morbid case after another, or will the unfading shadow of her brother's killer torment her forever? The mystery thickens, as someone starts leaving clues, that can only be uncovered with the use of Erica's unique ability. Who? Why? Can the troubled detective last long enough to find out?

Uncover dark mysteries behind grisly killings and lead detective Erica Reed to absolution over four tension-filled episodes of Cognition. An Erica Reed Thriller is available DRM-free for Windows and Mac OS X, with Game of the Year Edition goodie pack, only $9.99 for an entire week!

http://www.gog.com/game/cognition_an_erica_reed_thriller

Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Excellent news.  I got this in the Insomnia sale a while ago, and LOVE it!  So to get this GOTY update made my day.   Happy bounce
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

GOG is killing me with kindness.  They're putting everything on my wishlist on sale.  My game budget is blown for the rest of the year.  But I am still buying this despite the fact that most of the reviews say there are real immersion-breaking aspects (like poor dialogue and shoddy police procedure).  Unless I truly can only get one game right now ... then the Trine update has to win. 

Choices, choices, choices.  Games are as bad as books for my budget.  They just don't get along.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 pm

I didn't have ANY immersion troubles with Cognition!  Of course I've only finished the first episode, but I truly loved it!

pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 pm

genkicoll wrote:I didn't have ANY immersion troubles with Cognition!  Of course I've only finished the first episode, but I truly loved it!

Well that settles it ... I'm getting another game.  Yep; I think I need a Genki talked me into it folder too!   Elk grin Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:55 am