Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Sable Maze 1: Sullivan River

genkicoll

Sable Maze 1: Sullivan River

Post by genkicoll on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Sable Maze: Sullivan River
    by Daily Magic Productions - October, 2012

Series linksSable Maze 1: Sullivan River, Sable Maze 2: Norwich Caves, Sable Maze 3: Forbidden Garden, Sable Maze 4: Twelve Fears

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Every night you have the same nightmare. You see children wandering through a maze, crying for help. These sleepless nights are ruining your waking life. To stop them, you must return to Sullivan River Summer Camp to uncover what happened during that long-forgotten summer. Beware though, this camp isn't all that it seems. With every step, you can feel eyes watching you. Reveal the secret of the ancient labyrinth in this eerie Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus gameplay
    • Full soundtrack
    • Wallpapers and concept art
    • Integrated Strategy Guide

For the Standard Edition

• Strategy Guide
    • Blog Walkthrough (Big Fish)

Click images to enlarge

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun May 17, 2015 6:12 pm; edited 5 times in total

genkicoll

Re: Sable Maze 1: Sullivan River

Post by genkicoll on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Sable Maze: Sullivan River CE (IHOG)

Technical stuff first. There are three difficulties to choose from: Casual, Advanced, and Hard. Other options include separate sliders for music, sound, and voiceover, plus custom cursor and full-screen. You can also view your trophies from the options menu, if you wish (CE-only content, I assume.) Trophies are awarded for things such as not using the HINT button and not skipping mini-games, etc.

The hidden object scenes are interactive, for instance, opening or moving objects to find hidden items. There is a penalty after repeated misclicks.

We have a nice, jump-to map. It does not show where active areas are, but I don't mind that a bit -- it just adds to the difficulty in a good way~ HINTS are rechargeable, and using one during the adventure portion of the game will show you which direction to go (assuming that there's nothing left for you to do on the scene you're on ) A directional hint will not discharge your HINT button.

The story progresses nicely through a combination of short cut-scenes and additions to our journal. Awesome

Something that I really appreciate is that we keep useful items and use them more than once. We also use some things in inventive ways, which I love! I'm the queen of finding ways to get things done with a limited amount of items on hand, so this really made me smile If we try to use an item somewhere, and it's not going to work, the game tells us WHY. For instance, maybe the tool we're using is too fragile for the task at hand. Well done, devs!

On the mini-games, you can get directions by clicking on the Info button in the bottom right corner of the screen, or SKIP it entirely if you wish (once the skip button finishes charging.)

I worked on the second half of the game throughout the week (after work,) but the distraction level was so high that I wasn't able to immerse myself as much as I'd have liked to.

All discovered locations are available throughout the game, though you have a limited number of scenes you will be working on at any given time (as opposed to, say, Return to Ravenhearst, where you may have to travel to the other end of the map to do something to progress the game.) You can re-watch the ending of the game by clicking on the Play button.

The main game was truly excellent, and I enjoyed it very much

Bonus content includes:

• 12 Music Tracks, which can be saved (one at a time) on your hard drive
    • 7 Wallpapers
    • 10 Concept Art
    • Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Bonus Chapter
    • Achievements aka "Trophies" (present in SE?)

Bonus Chapter:

The bonus gives us answers to questions we might not have realized we had, telling us
    Spoiler:
    what happened to the nurse, Alyssa. Our quest is to free her from the Dryad.

Your full journal stays available during the bonus play -- something that I have not seen before, but it's nice to still have access to it

There are eight brand new locations (not including zoom-ins), and three new hidden object scenes. Each HOS in the game (main and bonus) is played twice.

The bonus took me an hour to play, and it was very well done -- not just a "tack on" at the end of the game.

Final impressions: The music and sound effects are beautifully done, and never overwhelming. They set the stage of this spooky experience without becoming annoying or overstated. The graphics are excellent, the story interesting, and bonus features for the CE were worth it for me. Overall, this is a truly enjoyable game.

Last edited by genkicoll on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Full game completed, and review finally done! Big smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:55 pm

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:55 pm