Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

The Black Company (series)

genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Black Company (series) Empty The Black Company (series)

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 am

The Black Company series
    by Glen Cook

Wiki page

Books in Chronological order:

The Books of the North:

• The Black Company
    • Shadows Linger
    • The White Rose

The Books of the South:

• Shadow Games
    • Dreams Linger

The Books of the Glittering Stone:

• Bleak Seasons
    • She is the Darkness
    • Water Sleeps
    • Soldiers Live

Spin-off:

• The Silver Spike

Description of the first book, The Black Company:

Some feel the Lady, newly risen from centuries in thrall, stands between humankind and evil. Some feel she is evil itself. The hardbitten men of the Black Company take their pay and do what they must, burying their doubts with their dead.

Until the prophesy: The White Rose has been reborn, somewhere, to embody good once more.

There must be a way for the Black Company to find her...

Adrift in a world torn by sorcery gone wild, the Company is the last remnant of a once-great mercenary army. Led by Croaker, former physician and primary chronicler, they must search the world for the last ray of hope--the White Rose.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Black Company (series) Empty Re: The Black Company (series)

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 am

The Black Company is a series I have read through twice, but it's been a very long time since my last read-through.

I would deem the series dark fantasy - not generally my genre. The books are rich with detail, and suck you in immediately. They are definitely rough and gritty, but fascinating. I enjoy the first two series the most, and they're the most likely for me to re-read. The latter books are just too hard (for me) to handle more than the two times I've read them. Maybe in another 10 years or so Silly face

I definitely recommend giving at least the first book a try Two thumbs up

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm