for those new to the world of Pern:
- - Dragonsong
- - Dragonsinger
- - Dragondrums
- The White Dragon
These are the first two trilogies of the series, though I have stuck the Harper Hall trilogy in the middle. This is because you will miss a LOT of information and some very special development of characters if you go
right to the third book of the original Dragonriders of Pern series, The White Dragon.
To continue with the original characters introduced in these books, you might want to go on to read these next:
The Girl Who Heard Dragons (a short story, but the main character comes up later books) This story is available by the book of the same name, as well as in the book, A Gift of Dragons. Stopping down to read all 4 stories in A Gift of Dragons would be nice
All the Weyrs of Pern
Dolphins of Pern (centers on a new character related to someone you've read about by now, but you'll want to read it before the next book, regardless)
The Skies of Pern
From here, it's up to you what order you read them in, depending on your own personal preference.
Here are the books in
Chronological order, Pern time:
- Book or "Short Story"
- The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (Contains the following four stories:)
- - "The Dolphins' Bell"
- - "The Ford of Red Hanrahan"
- - "The Second Weyr"
- - "Rescue Run"
- Red Star Rising (known in the US as Dragonseye)
- "Ever the Twain"
- Dragon Heart
- Dragon Girl
- Dragon's Time
- Dragonrider (tentative title)
- Dragon's Kin
- Dragon's Fire
- Dragon Harper
- Nerilka's Story
- "Beyond Between" Can be found in the book Legends II : new short novels by the masters of modern fantasy
- Masterharper of Pern
- Renegades of Pern
- "Runner of Pern" (In the book, A Gift of Dragons)
- "The Impression"
- "The Smallest Dragonboy" (In the book, A Gift of Dragons)
- "Ever the Twain" (In the book, A Gift of Dragons)
- The White Dragon
- "The Girl Who Heard Dragons" (In the book, A Gift of Dragons, also in a book by the same name)
- All the Weyrs of Pern
- Dolphins of Pern
- The Skies of Pern
As for the books in quotes, McCaffrey sometimes writes short stories based on Pern, which are published within other books
Last edited by genkicoll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total