Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome

genkicoll
    genkicoll

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Empty Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome

Post by genkicoll Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome
    by MagicIndie

Series links:  Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome, Brink of Consciousness 2: The Lonely Hearts Murders

Available from:
    Alawar Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Big Fish for Mac as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    GameHouse Platinum Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Brink-consciousness-dorian-gray-syndrome-ce_feature

Help Sam Wilde rescue his love Anna in Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome, an incredible Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game! Sam’s every move is being tracked so he has to be extra careful. Putting his journalistic talents to the test, Sam must find the maniac who has kidnapped Anna, and stop him before it’s too late. Explore gorgeous locations and solve tricky puzzles in Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus gameplay
    • Interview with the developers
    • Concept art

Standard Edition:

Click images to enlarge

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Th_screen1  dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Th_screen2  dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Empty Re: Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome

Post by genkicoll Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome (IHOG)

This game is made by MagicIndie Softworks, and it's quickly becoming a new favorite developer for me.

We have bunches of options on this game, with separate sliders for music, voices, sound effects, and environment, plus options for full-screen, wide-screen, custom cursor, and film grain. Nice! dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  1404866550 You can also add on a choice between regular and expert mode.

The first thing you see when you enter the game is a note mentioning that for best results, to play with the sound ON. The music is really outstanding, and there's a nice chill effect from the intermittent taunting we receive from the antagonist when the sound is on.

We have a journal that nicely rounds out the story, as well as a separate, easily-accessible MAP which shows us where we are, where there are active areas, where we need to do a puzzle, etc. Even with the help of the map, this is not a game that you can walk away from for long periods of time - there are just too many locations, and too many things that need to be remembered.

The HINT button is refillable, and if used during the adventure portion of gameplay, will either highlight where we need to look, or tell us there's nothing to do (in that location) at the moment. Using a hint during a HOS will ask you which hidden object you'd like to find.

Hidden object scenes are well-spaced, and naturally-cluttered. No ballerinas floating in the sky on this game! There is some light interaction during the HOS - enough to keep it interesting. There is NO mis-click penalty.

Mini-puzzles are nicely tied in to the story, and instructions are not forced on you. If you want to know how the puzzle is done, there's a "?" in the top left of the scene that will give you instructions.

Gameplay is pretty linear in the beginning, but it's not long before things start to become more challenging. There's quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing in the game, and if you get to a point where you're not sure what to do, try retracing your steps (or just check the map to see where you might have missed something *giggle*)

The inventory bar is retractable, giving us a better view of the beautifully done graphics. There are times when just moving your mouse over the scene will cause a reaction. Just one of those little touches that really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

WARNING: I did not notice any spiders (how unusual!) in this game, but there is a snake to deal with. It's not bad at all, in my opinion, but then, I'm not afraid of snakes dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  2981382511

This is a gorgeous game, deeply immersive, and with a very twisted (and interesting) storyline. The very highest quality in every way, I would say that this game is superb, and one of the best I've played. I'm excited that the new Brink of Consciousness is due soon - can't wait! dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  2520623126

CE Content:

Integrated strategy guide
    The strategy guide is very clear, and will stay open to the page you leave it on.

Bonus chapter

The main game had a very satisfying ending, and the bonus chapter continues the story three months later. There are 15 locations, plus two hidden object scenes (each of which you will play twice.)

12 musical tracks
    , which you can download to your computer
    This is one of the rare soundtracks that I hoped would be included in the game, so I'm very happy to see this!

Concept art

Always interesting to see!

5 Wallpapers

Two scenes from the game, plus three specially-made wallpapers

"Unknown Oscar"

Very funny! 10 caricatures of Oscar out in the world dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  580207494

Interview with the Developer

The interview is subtitled, since the devs are Russian, and lasts for 10 minutes! There's some interesting stuff in there, but it's good that the extra content is locked until after you finish the main game -- towards the end of the interview, you get some spoilers!

Awesome, awesome game, and SO glad to have the CE version! dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  737505495

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  O9fj
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  Empty Re: Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:18 am

WOW! After your review of this game, genkicoll, I'm embarrassed to even show my paltry effort!
    But thank you for such an in depth report on the CE contents, I have been thinking of upgrading, and now I will.

Top Quality Game  
    Sunny SunnySunnySunnySunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

This is an elegantly designed, superior game, serious and challenging, with a disturbing story aimed at grownups.

For me, it is its atmosphere that makes this game. The quality of the visuals is exceptional throughout. The interactive HO scenes are clear and relatively easy, though they play with the lighting a bit. Watch for some interesting uses of light to add realism.

Oscar’s voice actor gives an award-winning performance and just gets creepier and more oppressive. You, on the other hand, have only a range of grunts, sighs and coughs for expressing yourself. Along with a subtle but effective musical score, this game’s sound is at least as important as the visuals in creating a truly chilling atmosphere.

Overall, the game is not easy. Despite an excellent interactive (not jump) map, just getting around the enormous mansion is tricky. There are a lot of puzzles and some of them are quite difficult.

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Wow, thanks for the praise, Justie!  These games aren't loved by everyone, but I am absolutely enamored with this series.

dorian - Brink of Consciousness 1: Dorian Gray Syndrome  O9fj
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:43 pm

I totally agree! This is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Last edited by djrum on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not thinking!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:48 am