Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Empty Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Post by genkicoll Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    by Ninja Theory - August, 2017

Available at:
    GOG
    Steam

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Header

From the makers of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and DmC: Devil May Cry, comes a warrior’s brutal journey into myth and madness.

Set in the Viking age, a broken Celtic warrior embarks on a haunting vision quest into Viking Hell to fight for the soul of her dead lover. 

Created in collaboration with neuroscientists and people who experience psychosis, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will pull you deep into Senua’s mind.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Ss_c873e1a5f9e9218d6d3b2038b7063489879d315d.600x338

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Ss_6d653f7215d5a60330a85c27116f07a0c5dbc670.600x338

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Ss_f5c08e784ff587ad38d775c59ca6ad4bf6166ac9.600x338

Last edited by genkicoll on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tbone
    tbone

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Empty Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Post by tbone Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:25 pm

looks awesome
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Some screens
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 9E14B61713D0C7F0C869399ECBA8CE1CC732E58B
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 2F2A06BA225F2F8FDED60B60395FF2670F18FCED
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice EB09C72E22FDF19DBBD3B7824DBD4CC78C68722F
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 38A8BEA63808028EFFCF9F77915637CB096DE86C
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 876A83D967832DE8B3ED53F6E0AEF84F6BF5DBFB
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice 455103079E4FA983F7E633B03544C34BB840611C
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Action-Adventure)
    TL; DR - Skip to the Verdict at the end of the review

A few of the available options are sliders for brightness, Master Volume, Music, SFX, Voices and Menus; Subtitles (OFF by default), Graphic quality, mappable controls, combat difficulty, and more.

Let me address the whispers of permadeath in the game - I died many times over, and my game was safe, so I can assure you that if you're terrible at combat, you will still be able to play and enjoy this game without worrying about losing all of your progress. 

Ninja Theory, the developers of Hellblade, made two games that I enjoyed immensely: ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West, a true gem with its gorgeous visuals and interesting story; and DmC: Devil May Cry with its stylish and beautiful combat. When I heard that they were coming out with a new game, I was excited, anticipating something that would be an epic mixture of the best qualities of these two games.  What I got was not even close to what I had envisioned, bringing me something wholly unexpected.

So what IS the game like?

Reality.  Dark, gritty and full of inner turmoil.  Most games have a very cut-and-dried story line, with a clear antagonist to destroy.  It's not so straightforward in Hellblade... Senua's greatest enemy is her own shattered mind.  The devs did a brilliant job of handing an issue that is so sensitive that most people simply refuse to acknowledge it, much less make it the central focus of a AAA game.  I will come back to this a bit later, for now focusing on...

The Gameplay

The gameplay is story-based, with a lesser emphasis on combat.  All fights in the game come at scripted intervals - there are no random encounters or wandering enemies to accidentally bump into.  Senua can see patterns in the abstract around her, and by "Focusing", she can unlock or create new pathways to traverse.

Periodically you will need to seek out rune-shaped patterns in the surrounding area.  When you are close, you'll see glowing red shapes floating around you, indicating which rune you are nearby.  Other times, there are areas that look weird... blurry.  This is yet another kind of puzzle which can be solved by looking at it (focusing) from the right angle.  This is where having a controller gives you an edge, as it will vibrate when you are close to finding a piece of the missing shape or rune (assuming that you have the feature turned on.)

Collectibles and Achievements

There is only one collectible in the game, which consists of finding "Lorestones", and "focusing" upon them to hear a tale.  Basic exploration will reveal the lorestones, and I highly recommend seeking them out, as they not only expand the story, they also add a new layer of interest (I personally found some of the stories fascinating!) 

As this is a reality-based game, there is no "fast-travel" between areas, so explore well before moving on to a new location!  There is a button you can hold down to jog, which helps, and the game is semi-linear, so you don't have to worry about getting lost.  I say "semi" linear because you do have choices, at times, of which direction you're going to take, but in the end you'll have to complete everything in the area before you can move on.

Finding all 44 of the lorestones is the only achievement that you'll have to work for, as the rest unlock through game progression.

Battle

Senua is a fearsome opponent and great warrior - despite her slim stature - and the reason is actually explained as the story unfolds, so BRAVO for that, devs! *claps* I do love logic in my games ;D

You have five moves to choose from during combat:  Fast strike, heavy strike, melee, block and evade.  The "run" button that usually makes Senua jog will allow you to charge your enemies. I am not great at fighting in games, and I found that dodging was my best friend, greatly reducing my defeats.

When your mirror glows during battle, you can "focus" to slow down your enemies and give you the upper hand.

The battles themselves are beautifully-choreographed, and I found myself frequently stopping the action to take screens.  There is a nice variety of enemies to fight, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and all intimidating to behold.

The Sights

I thought that ENSLAVED and DmC had amazingly-realistic nuances and mannerisms for their characters, but Hellblade blows them both out of the water, adding a depth that makes you feel like you're in control of an actual movie.  It's not only here and there that the graphics look cinematic-quality -- it's EVERYWHERE! 

The blue paint on Senua's face makes her look odd - even cross-eyed at times - but as you play and the blue wears away, she looks pretty, even stunning at times.

Adding to the feeling that you're in a movie is the built-in Photo Mode.  You can enter photo mode at any time - even during most cutscenes!  Doing so will pause the action, and you can zoom in, out, move the camera approx. 20 yards in any direction, add photo effects, and much much more!  TIP: If you enter photo mode during a cutscene, Senua will almost always be blurry.  Simply adjust the focus to 100% and find your perfect shot!

The Sounds

It's not just the graphics that shine in this game, but the sounds as well.  Every utterance, every sound effect and every tick and hum you hear in the game is brilliantly-placed.  The acting is top-notch, and I especially loved the female narrator.  Senua's friend, Druth, really chewed up the carpet, but it worked with the stories that he was telling.

The Story

I won't go into specifics, as I don't want to spoil the game for anyone, but I will touch upon a few things.  Senua's psychosis is central to the narrative, plunging us deep into her perceptions and fears.  Ninja Theory heavily researched the topic, bringing in not only neuroscientists, but people who experience psychosis to shed light on the subject from both sides of the coin.  The result is captivating, giving us a glimpse of what some people live with as a part of their daily lives.

I am not into gore, and though there is definitely some blood involved, it's handled in a way that never made me uncomfortable.  There is a definite psychological aspect aimed at us, the players.  There are moments that are frightening, creepy, downright unsettling... all of it pulling us even further into Senua's world.

The Verdict

Hellblade is a game like no other, exploring mental illness in a setting that is rich in stunning detail and fascinating in its delivery.  Everything about the experience is stunning, from the sounds to the acting to the superb graphics, and everything in between.  I can't recommend this title enough - Absolutely two thumbs up from me! Two thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm