Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Empty Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind
    by Alawar / Epic Star - December, 2013

Available at:
    Alawar as Platinum Edition / Standard Edition
    Big Fish as Standard Edition only
    GameHouse as Platinum Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Platinum Edition / Standard Edition

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Alex-hunter-lord-of-the-mind_feature

Alex Hunter thought the case of the missing professor would be an easy paycheck. But his investigation has proven to be anything but simple. Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind will thrill casual game fans looking for their next great adventure!

Private investigator Alex Hunter thought the case of the missing professor would be an easy paycheck. But his investigation has proven to be anything but simple. What began as a routine open-and-shut affair quickly turned into a race to save a city from a madman who has invented a machine with which he can control the mind of every citizen. Set in a beautifully rendered and atmospheric game world, Alex Hunter challenges the player to guide the title character through a point-and-click mystery of surprising depth. As you locate hidden objects, solve puzzles, and open new locations, you'll untie the ingeniously knotted thread designed to keep you from accomplishing your goal: stopping the insanity before it spreads to every person within the lunatic's reach!

The Platinum Edition of Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind includes a multitude of bonus materials. As you play, you'll unlock stunning desktop wallpapers, concept art, music, videos, and a gripping bonus case that takes Hunter into the hideout of an evil crime syndicate. With hours of captivating game time, a richly detailed world, and a storyline inspired by classic detective novels, Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind will thrill casual game fans looking for their next great adventure!

• Rich, atmospheric world
    • Sherlock Holmes-style story
    • Cleverly designed puzzles
    • Challenging hidden object scenes

Click images to enlarge
    Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Th_screen1_Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Th_screen2_Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Th_screen3

REVIEW IN PROGRESS

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind CE (IHOG)

Options include separate sliders for music and sound, plus full-screen, custom cursor, and keep aspect ratio.  There are two modes to choose from:  Casual and Expert.  Expert requires you to "find all 35 secret symbols" to unlock the Bonus Chapter faints  I actually went with Casual mode since the description says nothing about sparkles (which I hate >_< )  and I didn't want to risk not being able to see the bonus!  The tutorial is optional in this mode, and there is NO rapid misclick penalty... at least in this mode!  And the nice part?  NO SPARKLES! Happy bounce

There are no mini-game instructions unless you want them.

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 am; edited 5 times in total

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind O9fj
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind Empty Re: Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

Post by genkicoll Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:07 am

Big Fish has gotten the Standard Edition ONLY of this game, but I just read this about the BF version:

"It has an ingame strategy guide as well as achievements and collectibles."

Nice!  Okay

Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind O9fj
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Based on the reviews at Big Fish I bought it with a PCC without even demo'ing. A real rarity for me but it sounded like my kind of game so we'll see... I hope I like it!

ETA - So far, so good. I'm finding it very enjoyable!! One flaw (distracting but far from fatal) is that the game supposedly takes place around the turn of the 20th century in a London-ish setting - certainly the policemen appear to be English constables - yet everyone has a modern American accent and turn of speech. But that kind of thing is often par for the course in these casual games.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 am

Exceptional Stand-Alone SE Game  

Sunny Sunny SunnySunny

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    At first, with no intro before the main menu, I thought this game was going to be another not-quite good-enough SE. But in extras alone, this is a good value game, and even without them, would have received 3 stars from me. Set in the 40s (?) era of the old classic gumshoe stories, with a little steam punk thrown in, it is surprisingly atmospheric, has a promising story, and no major down side.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The graphics are okay. You’re not going to be wowed by them, but they are clear, and although it is a story that tends toward dark, it is not overused. HOPs are very clear, if not in loving detail. There are a fair number of cut-scenes,  and they are about the same quality. There seems to be very little animation, until you start messing around clicking interesting bits and pieces, which sets some of them in motion.

The voiceovers are well done and, perhaps more importantly, well used. There is an attempt at an approximation of lip synch, which I thought worked well. The sound effects and background are competent. The music is quite interesting, changes frequently, and is not at all intrusive.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    If there is one thing that goes against this game, it is that the story moves too slowly. At the end of the 1st chapter (50mins of demo), I still know very little more about what is going on than what is written up about it. You are hired by a young lady to find her father, and so far the only thing we have learned about him is that he is a genius on the workings of the human mind (and as puzzle-crazy as all these lost profs are), and received an invitation recently to visit another expert with the view to working together.

MAKING PROGRESS
    This is more a puzzle/lite adventure game than it is a HOPA. There are 2 HOPs in the demo, each visited twice, but there are oodles of mini-puzzles (none original, some uncommon, none difficult – so far!) and inventory items to find and use. The HOPs are interactive lists, with a close-up in each scene. All objects are clearly visible and the interactions make sense.

There is 2 modes of difficulty, a directional hint, an interactive jump map, excellent journal – and, wait for it! – an in-game walkthrough!

The game also boasts: bonus chapter, wallpapers, achievements, collectibles (where higher difficulty mode requires more of them to release the other extras - cool!) 2 other yet-to-be-revealed gallery items, and a secret room!! I’m overwhelmed, but it is so nice to see a stand-alone game going that little bit further.

FINAL VERDICT
    I had low expectations for this game and was genuinely astonished to see how much it had to offer and how much I enjoyed it. Definitely a buy.

I Recommend This Game!

Last edited by JustTheFacts on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm