Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Esme
    Esme

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Empty The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Post by Esme Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm

I finished this one a few weeks ago and I just can't get it out of my head. To my way of thinking, that is an awesome book!

Here is the official blurb: 

"A brilliantly imaginative and poignant fairy tale from the modern master of wonder and terror, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is Neil Gaiman’s first new novel for adults since his #1 New York Times bestseller Anansi Boys. This bewitching and harrowing tale of mystery and survival, and memory and magic, makes the impossible all too real..."

You can poke around his website and find out more about his books here: http://www.neilgaiman.com/

I've been thinking about what to say about this book since I finished it. I don't want to give too much away, because that would spoil the wonder of it all. Suffice it to say, it's so well-written that it makes you think that it could really almost happen. It makes you want to believe in the unbelievable. And it makes you remember the sort of breathless joy and fear of being a loner child with a vivid imagination. (probably even if you weren't... though I totally was). It is full of myth and monster, archetype and fairy story... in short, all the things I have loved since I was a child. You're never too old for a fairy tale in my opinion. Somehow there is more truth to them than a thousand works of non-fiction. 

For some reason this book just spoke to my reader's soul and made me happy. The more of Gaiman's work I read, the more I believe he is one of the most brilliant, wise and kind-hearted authors ever. 

I would heartily recommend this book!Okay

Last edited by Esme on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Empty Re: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Post by genkicoll Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Nice, Esme!  I'll have to check it out at the library!  Thanks!

EDIT:  Holy COW! OH!  There are SIXTY-FIVE holds ahead of me at the library!!
    Esme
    Esme

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Empty Re: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Post by Esme Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Genki, Gaiman is incredibly popular... and the book hasn't been out very long at all. I'm not surprised there's a long wait. 

I think DJ bought it too, or at least was going to. I can't wait to talk about it with someone when they've finished it! 
    :dance:
    vervaine
    vervaine

Post by vervaine Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I bought the hardcover too! It just arrived ^^
    I'll report back once I finish it :3
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 am

I can't wait to hear what you think, Vervaine!

It's a short novel, but I loved it. Wub
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:06 am

Esme, yes, I have bought "The Ocean at the End of the Lane." I just started it last night!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Esme, I have finished "The Ocean at the End of the Lane." Oh, it was so very good, I couldn't put it down. I was angry and I also felt a little sorry (but not that much), then I think I got angry again. And I was so sad, I cried. Man, I was on an emotional rollercoaster!

I just ordered "American Gods."
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 am

Oh DJ, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's just a perfect little book. I always get swept up into Gaiman's stories. Didn't you just want to hug the little protagonist? Maybe make him some soup or something? And just let him read for pity's sake? I always want to protect and nurture the "dreamy" kids... perhaps that's why I became a teacher, huh? Anyway...

I'm so happy you are enjoying discovering Neil Gaiman!Happy bounce 

American Gods is a different kind of story. I really liked it a lot, but it's not as fairy tale-ish somehow. That's not to say there's not a bunch of mythology and legend to it, because there totally is, it's just got a different vibe. Just be ready to go along for the ride it'll take you on!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm

It only took a month, but I got the book on Friday, then read it on Sunday.

I'm not in love it with, but that is probably because I've never been fond of the first-person perspective in books.

I've been completely spoiled by Kevin Hearne and Kim Harrison, where 1st person writing is concerned.  They paint such a vivid picture that I can see every little nuance of motion and every crack in the wall, so to speak.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane did not have that kind of immersive effect on me.  There was a time whilst reading that I felt something akin to wonder, but it never fully fleshed out.  Close, but not quite.

Judging Gaiman from this work alone, I would say that he's a fairly good writer, but one who tells brilliant stories.

I will say that I have never been scared by the contents of a book... but this one came really close!  It's just as well (for me) that I wasn't able to fully commit to the story, 'else I would have had no sleep last night! EEK!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm