Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Mystery of the Ancients 2: Curse of the Black Water

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 am

by Mariaglorum Games - November, 2012

Series links:  Mystery of the Ancients 1: Lockwood Manor, Mystery of the Ancients 2: Curse of the Black Water, Mystery Of The Ancients 3: Three Guardians, Mystery of the Ancients 4: Deadly Cold

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Big Fish for Mac as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

You travel to the remote island town of Black Water, investigating the mysterious disappearance of two archaeologists when you encounter a mythical monster straight from the ancient myths of Poseidon! What cursed secrets have these archaeologists unearthed beneath the town? Now it’s up to you to save the world from falling into a curse of eternal darkness! Play Mystery of the Ancients: Curse of the Black Water to uncover the truth lurking deep below the island’s darkening waters.

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus gameplay featuring breathtaking vistas!
    • Full Soundtrack
    • Concept Art gallery
    • Downloadable wallpapers

For the Standard Edition

• Blog Walkthrough
    • Strategy Guide! (Big Fish)

Click images to enlarge

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:40 pm; edited 4 times in total

Sable

Re: Mystery of the Ancients 2: Curse of the Black Water

Post by Sable on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

I thought this game was terrific - bought as a CE and am so glad I did. One of the most satisfying games of the year.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh awesome! Thank you so much for the info, Sable! I haven't checked out #1 in the series yet... Do you need to play that one first to know what's going on?

Sable

Post by Sable on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 am

Genki, the games in this series are pretty much stand-alone, and not dependent on the preceding games. I wrote a more fulsome review in Upset Fishies and copied it to the Diving Bell, so you can seem more there, if you like. I think you'll really enjoy this one - the graphics were beautiful, I thought.

Course, I'm not a very good or fast player, so keep that in mind, lol.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Fri May 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Mystery of the Ancients 2: Curse of the Black Water (IHOG)

There are sliders for Music, Effects, and Ambient Volume, plus options for full-screen and custom cursor. There are three difficulty levels, which can be changed at any time during the game -- just open the Options panel.

The journal both documents what's happening in the game and adds a bit of extra story. WARNING: When you open the journal, you will be on page two -- page one of the journal contains a spoiler about the ending of the first game, Lockwood Manor.

There is an interactive map, which not only shows your current location, but where active areas are, and offers a jump-to option. The task bar at the bottom of the screen is retractable, but you can lock it in the open position if you wish.

The devs added something that I truly appreciate -- when a tool won't work for the task at hand, it will show and/or tell you why it won't work. Those little extra touches are definitely appreciated.

The hidden object scenes are not indicated by sparkles unless you are playing on the easiest difficulty setting. The HOS are interactive -- some items require tasks before they become visible/accessible. These are some well done scenes, interesting to look at and not horribly cluttered. There is no misclick penalty on the first two difficulty levels. Not sure about the hardest level, though.

Mini-games are skippable, and the instructions are not in-your-face -- you can access them if you want them, or try to solve the games without the help -- your choice.

Sadly, my computer died before I could finish the game and this review :( I can tell you that this is definitely a quality game, and one that I was really enjoying

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:12 am

Irresponsible Archaeological Dig Threatens World Again
    Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny 

GAME COMPLETED TWICE 

This is a much more sophisticated sequel to Lockwood Manor – it feels more lively and active. The story started off familiar, then took a couple of interesting turns. It was paced very well and there was plenty of background on the myths if you wanted it. The graphics are well done, particularly the cutscenes. The monsters really are monstrous. There is fun animation and colour in the interactive HOs, making them more appealing. The puzzles are more difficult than the first game, making it a bit more challenging for those who like that. Me, I skipped a lot. I’m hopeless at puzzles.

Hint and skip are very quick. Hint is useless outside of HOs, just the usual “There’s nothing to do here”. The interactive jump map was excellent, acting as a good substitute for the hint button. And the game timer is a great addition. This is a solid game.

I recommend this game!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:37 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:37 am