Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Batman: Arkham Origins

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Batman: Arkham Origins Empty Batman: Arkham Origins

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Batman: Arkham Origins
    by WB Games Montreal - October, 2013

NOTE: Origins is not technically the third in the series, as it is made by a different developer. I recommend playing Asylum and City before tackling Origins.

Series links: Batman 1: Arkham Asylum, Batman 2: Arkham City, Batman: Arkham Origins, Batman 3: Arkham Knight

Available at:
    GameHouse / Season Pass
    Humble Store
    Steam / Season Pass

Batman: Arkham Origins Header

As of December 4, 2016, the online services portion of Batman: Arkham Origins will be retired. We thank those that have joined us to battle over the last 3 years. The Single player campaign may still be played and enjoyed offline. For any questions relating to Batman: Arkham Origins, please contact WB Games customer service http://support.wbgames.com/.

Batman™: Arkham Origins is the next installment in the blockbuster Batman: Arkham videogame franchise. Developed by WB Games Montréal, the game features an expanded Gotham City and introduces an original prequel storyline set several years before the events of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, the first two critically acclaimed games of the franchise. Taking place before the rise of Gotham City’s most dangerous criminals, the game showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces a defining moment in his early career as a crime fighter that sets his path to becoming the Dark Knight.

• The Arkham Story Begins: Batman: Arkham Origins features a pivotal tale set on Christmas Eve where Batman is hunted by eight of the deadliest assassins from the DC Comics Universe. Players become an early-career Batman as he encounters for the first time many of the characters that shape his future.
    • Enhanced Detective Mode: Think like Batman with an all-new Case File system that allows players to analyze seemingly impossible-to-solve crime reconstructions in real time. Combining Batman’s cowl sensors with the Batcomputer, players can digitally recreate crimes and study detailed simulation of the act as it happened.
    • Gotham City will learn to fear Batman: Take back the sprawling streets of Gotham years before its transformation into Arkham City. Glide above or battle your way through new and ever more dangerous districts in the quest for justice. Prevent crimes in progress, take down gangs of violent new criminals and explore deadly new locations, from the impoverished streets to the penthouses of Gotham’s wealthy.
    • Gotham’s Most Wanted: The city streets are filled with more than just Black Mask’s assassins. Locate and take down Gotham’s most violent and dangerous criminals to earn unique upgrades.
    • Lethal New Enemies: Fight new foes such as the Armored Enforcer, the Martial Artist and more – each of which challenge players to approach Batman’s FreeFlow Combat scenarios in different ways. Classic FreeFlow combat is expanded with every new opponent – and with Batman’s abilities to engage them.
    • New Gadgets: Utilize Batman’s signature gadgets or take advantage of powerful new additions such as the Remote Claw, the Concussion Detonator and more. Use the Remote Claw to create new routes by deploying strategic tightropes or directly attack enemies by stringing them up from vantage points. Ready the Concussion Detonator to stun and disorient groups of opponents in close combat.
    • New and Familiar Characters: Experience a fresh take on iconic Batman characters including Black Mask, Penguin, Deathstroke, Bane, Deadshot, Anarky, Captain Gordon, The Joker, Copperhead, Firefly and others yet to be revealed.

Batman: Arkham Origins Ss_462c48dd9fa9e76d1f3f8159eeadea3da6b0e43e.600x338
    Batman: Arkham Origins Ss_c627d2ffac1be5b846af610342ea99a0d2891434.600x338
    Batman: Arkham Origins Ss_41f68844251c4acbf5d8b68899b212705c6afc0e.600x338

Last edited by genkicoll on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Batman: Arkham Origins Empty Re: Batman: Arkham Origins

Post by genkicoll Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Batman: Arkham Origins (Action-adventure)
    Review from July, 2015:

There are definitely some similarities between Origins and its predecessors. The action buttons are almost the same, which was nice since I didn't have to learn an entirely new system. There is a ton of content, we still have The Riddler as a background story, there are many optional side-quests and distractions, but it felt like there were *too* many distractions in this one.

In Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, I never lost track of the main storyline, despite my frequent forays into side-quest territory. Not so with Origins. I can't count how many times I came back to my computer with absolutely no idea what I was supposed to be doing. It felt aimless and repetitive, even when I was working towards a side-goal.

One of the things I REALLY enjoyed about the first two games is the riddles we had to figure out. Oh we still have two hundred data packs to find (the predecessor to the Riddler trophies we saw in Asylum and City,) but no actual riddles to figure out. I really missed them, and the data packs simply don't hold enough of my interest to make up for the lack of riddles -- I'm not even going to try to get them all.

The in-game achievements would sometimes work, most times not. I literally flew from one end of Arkham to the other, and never got the flying achievements. It took four or five tries to get the notification that I'd taken down two criminals in a slide. Just frustrating.

Besides the irritation of not remembering where and what I was supposed to be doing, there was also the frustration of not being able to grapple places that clearly should have been accessible. It was very obvious where we could and couldn't grapple in the previous games, so I don't feel like it's asking too much for this third game. We DO have a quick-transportation option, which is nice, but I still would have liked it to be clear where we could and couldn't grapple just by looking.

There *are* some improvements over the first two games. For instance, when we are locating the "extra special" criminals (those holding information we need, etc) we don't have to save them for last in order to get the information. If we want to, we can take them out first, then go back and interrogate them when the fight is over. Another improvement is the crime scene investigation. They've really added an element of interest to it, though in my opinion, they underutilized it.

Origins is clearly the inferior product game-play and story-wise, but I still recommend it for fans of the series. It was interesting to see how the back-story emerged, and I'm glad to have played it. Next time, though, I'll know to skip a lot of the side content and concentrate on the main storyline. I think that if I do that, I'll enjoy the game much more. Smile

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am