Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

Talk about Dean Koontz books

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Talk about Dean Koontz books Empty Talk about Dean Koontz books

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 am

There is something about Dean Koontz and the way he writes. Some of his books are fantastic journeys into realms you cannot escape - books you will read over and over again. Then there are others that are anywhere from OK to ho-hum.

I think it would be great to list the books we LOVE and the books we don't love as much, so that those that have similar tastes can see which ones they might want to pick up!

GENKI'S FAVORITES:

Books featuring Christopher Snow: Fear Nothing and Seize the Night (my AND my hubby's absolute favs!)
    Twilight Eyes
    Midnight
    The Taking
    (fascinating take on the apocalypse)
    The Funhouse (hubby loves it, but it reminds me a lot of Twilight Eyes, and I'd rather read that )

Worth reading once, maybe not again:

The House of Thunder (really didn't enjoy this one)
    The Darkest Evening of the Year
    One Door Away From Heaven

Strangers (Fascinating book, all 681 pages of it. I had it partially figured out, but it really didn't happen the way that I had thought it would.)

You can see that there aren't a ton of Koontz' books here, although some of his books are among my favorites. I'm always leery of starting a new one, afraid it will be another House of Thunder.

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
    tweetypie

Talk about Dean Koontz books Empty Re: Talk about Dean Koontz books

Post by tweetypie Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I have read a few Koontz books. I like Stephen King and my favourite author is John Connelly. I'm reading the Reversal at the moment by Michael Connelly.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 pm

I've not read any John Connelly before. Can you tell me your favorite(s) for a starting point? Maybe start a new thread for him, even Big smile
    tweetypie

Post by tweetypie Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Yes, I will do a topic on him and some of his books. I'm not good at explaining stuff though Rolling Eyes Will do it tomorrow, I'm on UK time so ready for bed lol
    oregonpandora

Post by oregonpandora Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 pm

I loved the earlier books in John Connelly's series. Haven't cared for the lasr couple though. I have not read the one you mention, though. Hope it is good.

I like a lot of Michael Connelly's books, too. Never thought about it before, are they related?

Just finished Stephen King's 1962. Not his best, but very good. It was about 1000 pages as I recall.

(Genki...I finished Koontz's latest paperback a few weeks ago but I do not remember the name. It was one of his more graphic books about a "ghostly" serial killer. It was very good but a bit unsettling, possibly because it involved kids. But then again, Stephen King is my favorite author and many of his books involve children. Give it a try only if you like scary. )
    tweetypie

Post by tweetypie Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Holy Moly, I never did my review can't even remember the book now lol. Sorry, I'm so bad at keeping track of things. Not had much time to read the past few months. I see Fifty Shades of Gray is big at the moment. Not sure it's my type of book, my mum loved it so will give it a shot.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm

How's your reading coming now, Tweetypie?

I've been reading much more often lately, now that my obsessive must-read-can't-stop-no-matter-what-I-need-to-be-doing tendency has lessened.Talk about Dean Koontz books 2192154215 Ahhh, I so love good books.

Speaking of which, back to topic. I recently read a Dean Koontz book that I absolutely did not enjoy at all, Dark
    Rivers of the Heart
    . This book is 600-some pages long (or thereabouts, I don't have the book at hand to look at the moment), and the interesting parts of the story could have fit in less than 100. I had no idea what kind of book I was reading until I was about 385 pages in Talk about Dean Koontz books 4271371901 Like many of Koontz' books, there was nothing on the back cover explaining what the book was about, nor was there the usual one-page excerpt from the book to give you an ideas. Talk about Dean Koontz books 2371270459

Koontz spent too much time rhapsodizing on the antagonist, and very little time on the protagonist... as a matter of fact, it took me a while to figure out which was which!

The only thing that kept me reading was the intermittent flashbacks one of the characters had -- Flashbacks that weren't explained until the very end of the book. What a waste of (my) time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So, on to the new Koontz book I've started reading, Cold Fire. Within 5 pages I knew that this was going to be one of my new favorites. What a difference! THIS is the type of Koontz writing that I love, with every word painting a breathtaking picture of beauty, fear and the mysterious, even making the mundane take on new life.

I'm only 115 pages in to a 431-page book (which includes the "new afterword"), so it's going to be a few days, but I'll definitely be posting a full review when I've finished. I'll be quoting a piece of the above paragraph, but I'm sure you can handle re-reading that small bit Talk about Dean Koontz books 580207494

Now, back to reading whilst I have a chance!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am