Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Empty Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames

Post by genkicoll Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:39 am

Dark Realm: Queen of Flames
    by Mad Head Games - October, 2014

Series links: Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames, Dark Realm 2: Princess of Ice, Dark Realm 3: Lord of the Winds, Dark Realm 4: Guardian of Flames

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    GameHouse as Platinum Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Dark-realm-queen-of-flames-collectors-edition_feature

The evening started like any other in your village. But without warning, a group of mysterious figures arrives and reduces the town to flames and rubble. What are they… and who is controlling them? Your only way to find out is to flee the village and seek help from the Queen. But you’ll have to lie low to avoid becoming another minion of the flame banshees. Use special abilities and power-ups to make your way through a mystical world in this thrilling Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Save Northpearl from a deadly new threat in the bonus game!
    • Unlock challenging time-based HOPs
    • Collectibles, achievements, advanced mini-games, and more!
    • An available Strategy Guide

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Th_screen1_Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Th_screen2_Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames Empty Re: Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:05 am

SPECTACULAR ***** 

BASED ON DEMO 

EXTRAS IN BRIEF 
    I was shocked to see there were no reviews in the Big Fish Forum, so I thought I’d have a look-see. Well, it’s done the unbelievable – fired me up about a HOPA game. 
    This is just what I added to the reviews that turned up while I was playing, basically a CE Bling! review. There are 2 good reviews there now, if you’re thinking of wandering over there. And so far, no animosity.
    There are some flame symbols that are collected and lead to a gate to "somewhere", not sure where exactly. They take a little to get your eyes attuned, but then they are not too difficult - yet. 

There are replayable HOPs with timing accuracy and hint counters. There is also a puzzle section you must unlock. 

There is a card game in the main game that you must play to unlock its "out of game" use. It has its own gallery. 

Wallpapers (12), Sound (the best I've ever heard, I think, and I'm a HUGE fan of Cadenza, also made by these developers, and the best music up till this one!   

And a "making of" video you must unlock. 

The graphics are stupendous, awesome, magical! The use of 3D style panning adds surprisingly real experience. My heart rate actually surged, and stayed right that way to the end, where I think I blew a fuse!   

This is very dark fantasy, so while full of magic and enchantments, the wolf cubs you rescue are given immediately back to Mama. LOTS of gadgets of a mystical nature means lots of keeping your eyes open, the HOPs are so original, sometimes I didn't even know I was in one! 

And that mean dragon? Man, would he give the entire species a bad name. And you know how I feel about dragons! Voice was dishy though.

This game has it and is put together in as awesome as you can expect to get in a game. 

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:11 am

Sounds like Mad Head has done it again, and I'm not surprised!  Thanks for the review, Justie!
    snapnhiss
    snapnhiss

Post by snapnhiss Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 am

A really well made and beautiful game.  They've gone way beyond what we've become accustomed to (and bored by) in hidden object games by putting a new twist on nearly every puzzle and HOS. 

There are still a few items that will infuriate some of the members at BFG like a thematic use of colors, cute fairies and magical items that need to be used to advance the game but what would a fairy tale be without magic?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:49 pm

I bought this one... can't wait to give it a spin!  Happy bounce
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Dark Realm: Queen of Flames (IHOG)

An amazing, quality offering from Mad Head Games ♥

Options include separate sliders for Music, Ambients, SFX and Voices, Full-screen, Aspect Correction and Custom Cursor.  Choice of three pre-set difficulties, or you can go with Custom mode.  Difficulty can be changed at any time.

Story:

You are the fiery, independent daughter of the village's blacksmith.  You've never been one to turn from danger, but the dark figures destroying the town cannot be easily-defeated, so you heed your father's plea and run.  Now you're on a quest to alert the queen of the mysterious attack, but your every move seems to be blocked.  It will take every bit of your cunning, some magical powers and a little help from your friends to save your father, your town and the kingdom itself.

Our Journal is really a glorified task list, but it does hold clues we've gathered as well.  You'll find them pictured on the right-hand side - just click on them to enlarge. There are three tabs, in case you want to double-check the map or achievement progress before you close it.

The story progresses via cutscenes and story-laced hidden object scenes like this one:

Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames 0E3FBCDCAE5DA634B393D19EE78522FC6337BD13

Gameplay:

I'm going to warn you from the outset that there are some battles in the game which require accurate mouse-work (dragging the cursor in a certain shape or accurately clicking at the right time).  I mention this for my friends who are dexterity-challenged, but I also want to point out that these sequences can be skipped.

Be on the lookout for collectible flame insignias as you play.  There is an indicator in the bottom right corner that is gray if you've not yet found the flame at your current location.  These CAN be collected after the game is completed, but I'll come back to that down below.

Our MAP can be interactive (depending on which difficulty you've chosen), and has instant-transport available.  Inventory items can be zoomed-in on and interacted with.

There is a whole lot going on with our task bar, so a quick rundown:  Besides the flame/morphing item indicators and the usual map, journal and hint buttons, we also have magic boots and a flame medallion.  Our boots can make us invisible when we're in danger, and the medallion holds multiple powers all by itself.  This is heavily-utilized during the game, and central to the storyline.

Using a HINT during the adventure portion of the game will either pinpoint something or give you a directional arrow.

The Hidden Object Scenes are wonderfully, beautifully varied, and many are designed in a way to draw you deeper into the story.  There is a morphing item on each HOS, and the indicator in the bottom right corner will be gray if you've not yet found the one on your current scene.

Sights and Sounds:

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, with minute details everywhere you look.  This isn't on one or two scenes, this is throughout the game, including every item in the hidden object scenes.  The characters are beautifully-drawn and full of character.
    Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames B4AF519806B383912DD00C2975E9831942345143

I normally don't notice soundtracks, but Queen of Flames stands out in every way, including the music.  Beautiful, amazing, moving, dramatic - just everything you'd want from a music score.  Most of the voice overs were really good, and one in particular makes me grin whenever I think about him.

CE Content:

• Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Bonus Chapter
    • 57 Collectible Flame Insignias
    • 20 Morphing Items (found in HOS)
    • 15 Tiered in-game Achievements
    • 16 Wallpapers
    • "Making of" Video (Concept Art, models and behind-the-scenes crew)
    • 11 Music Tracks 
    • 20 Replayable HOS
    • Northpearl Jigsaw Puzzle
    • Original Card Game with unlockable character cards

In the Hidden Objects area of the Extras screen, you can replay HOS from the game.  It tracks how long it takes you to finish, accuracy and gives you a score for your performance.

The Game of Cards is introduced during the main story.  In the Extras menu, we have Basic (what we've already learned) and Advanced (winning cards can be stolen) Mode.  The game is easy-to-learn and not terribly challenging, but the cards are beautiful, it's mildly-entertaining, and each time you win on Advanced mode, you get a character card, which will then go into your Cards Gallery.  Here you can read an informational blurb on each character, as well as zoom in on the cards so you can admire the lovely details.
    Dark Realm 1: Queen of Flames E9F2F52B0BB498806D1E9C2CF7F150574A880801

Any fire symbols you've missed during gameplay can be obtained through the "Collectibles Hunt" on the Extras page. There's a symbol for each location, and any that are black you can revisit in order to find the missing insignia. Hints can be used to find the insignias during the collectibles hunt portion!

PRO TIP for those who love taking screens:  Most of the HUD is gone when you revisit the scenes this way, making for great screenshots!

Once you finish finding all of the flame symbols AND the Northpearl jigsaw, you'll unlock a find-by-list hidden object scene that has new items listed for each object you find until you've found most everything on the scene.  Like the replayable HOS, this is timed, scored and has a % accuracy, as well as a high score.

Bonus Chapter:

The extra chapter takes place after the main story has ended, and involves trouble in your hometown once again.  The gameplay was just as enjoyable, but this time, you get to make some decisions on how things will play out.  (I think I made the right choices. Ho ho ho ;D) The story for this part was a little predictable, but still well worth playing.

Verdict:

I had some logic issues in the early part of the game, but these are things I think very few people would notice.  Overall this was an amazing experience. I am blown away by the quality throughout the game - every little detail just shines.  There was honestly more work put into the 'Making of' video than I've seen put into some entire games!  If every hidden object game was held to this kind of standard, there would be a LOT more fans of the genre.  Absolutely recommended!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 pm