Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Empty Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 am

Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine
    by Icarus Games - July, 2014

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish
    GameHouse

Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Sharpe-investigations-death-on-the-seine_feature

Journalist-turned-food critic Taryn Sharpe and her assistant/photographer George Haske are sent on assignment to France to cover the opening of Paris's hottest new restaurant, Le Roi Soleil. When they get there, they discover the restaurant's celebrity chef is dead!

Strangely, the police rule the death a suicide and refuse to investigate. The restaurant's owner, an old friend of Taryn's, is convinced his star chef was murdered and begs her and George to find the culprit.

Fly to Paris and discover who murdered the famous chef!

• 10+ beautiful Hidden Object scenes!
    • Explore many unique locations in Paris
    • Solve puzzling minigames!
    • Enjoy original music score

Click images to enlarge
    Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Th_screen1_Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Th_screen2_Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine Empty Re: Sharpe Investigations: Death on the Seine

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 am

Another Nice iHOG****

BASED ON DEMO

I like this game! It’s simple, no flashy videos or special effects, no complex story, no fanfare at all really. But it looks lovely, is light-hearted despite the subject matter – murder – and it has fun HOP scenes that are a just a little challenging. I really enjoyed the art and the music in this one. Even the office atmosphere created by almost subliminal voices in the first location. The imagery is basically static, but the impression of movement is created by a little animation in the right spots.

But it is not for everyone. It involves a LOT of (written) dialogue, most of it unnecessary, but amusing. If you liked Toymaker, and can ignore or enjoy a little repartee between characters, this will probably appeal. The next step in the game is explained and justified by all this chatter, but the map will take you to the right place anyway, as it is labelled with the areas where a task awaits.

The gameplay is pure HOPs with the occasional easy but fun puzzle. The HOPs are mostly simple interactive word lists, although there is at least one multiples of. The scenes may be visited twice – one scene is so far. There are locations within locations – for example, the kitchen of the restaurant has a walk-in freezer. Hint is quick on the easiest of  3 levels. And I needed it occasionally. There is a little more back and forward than ideal, particularly for a HOG.

The story is a bit different, always good. You are a food reporter and are accompanied by a “paparazzi” (your word, you really don’t like him) photographer on your mission to investigate the death of a famous chef. Luckily, you know the restauranteur, and are given access to the scene of the crime, and the most likely suspects.

I like the fact that you sleep in this game lol! How often is that taken into account! I also like the fact that we are in Paris is a part of the game. French words pop up everywhere, and the French stereotypes are part of the fun.

An easy game, with pleasant visuals and very pleasant music. A lot of light-hearted quips, and visible items in cluttered but clear and interesting HOP scenes. That’s enough for a punchcard credit, and I’d even buy it in a sale, I think. It is relaxing and engrossing.

I recommend this game!

PS. I think radcherub (bfg forums, claims to have finished in 1 hour) is faster than me, I'm certainly not finished, but it does seem to be a short game.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm