Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

5 posters

Emberwing: Lost Legacy

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Emberwing: Lost Legacy Empty Emberwing: Lost Legacy

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:48 am

Emberwing: Lost Legacy
    by Boomzap Entertainment - March, 2014

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Emberwing: Lost Legacy Emberwing-lost-legacy-ce_feature

Dragons have not been seen for hundreds of years and were just a bedtime story for your young son Tevin. Suddenly, a real dragon attacks your house in the dead of night and takes Tevin, believing he has a special power that will help their kind. But elves and other magical races, hidden in the unexplored Dark Forest, are after him as well. Can you save your son from the dragon's clutches before it's too late?

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Strategy Guide
    • Hidden dragon collectibles
    • Achievements and awards to earn
    • Wallpaper and concept art
    • Bonus chapter: The fate of an unborn dragon is in your hands!

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Emberwing: Lost Legacy Th_screen1_Emberwing: Lost Legacy Th_screen2_Emberwing: Lost Legacy Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Emberwing: Lost Legacy Empty Re: Emberwing: Lost Legacy

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 am

Marvellous Fantasy Puzzle Adventure*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

This is a truly gorgeous game to look at from the first moments. But that is hardly surprising, if you know the Awakening series, made by the same developer. The location scenes are “realistic” fantasy in style, while the close ups have a more ‘painterly’ look about them. Both are beautiful.

The cut-scenes are wonderful, cinematic and engrossing. And I didn’t even mind that there were a lot of them early up, giving us a lot of back story via interaction with other characters. All of whom spoke well. For those of you who’d rather skip these interactions, there is a brief summary of the conversation that flashes up instead. Fabulous idea! Another subtle touch I liked was having the centre of the cursor change colour, rather than a complete change of cursor, to indicate something of interest.

From the beginning sound is an integral part of the atmosphere. It is so sweet in the opening sequences, and the ambient noises are lovely. Then it is exciting and dramatic in the next series of cut-scenes, somehow turning the same music ominous.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    Our son has always been fascinated by stories of dragons, but until now, they’ve never shown any interest in him, and stayed safely in their story books *grin*. Now one has stolen the boy and is taking heaven knows where, and you are desperate to follow. That is immediately fraught with difficulty. From the fire he started in your home, to the long drop down from the balcony, there are obstacles both magical and mundane in your way.

You meet an uncertain ally, the Dark Elf Eridan, who is also hunting the dragon, and you take up his offer of help. Together, you must find out what the dragon wants with your son, rescue him and defeat the dragon, who is a threat to the whole Dark Elvin kingdom and other kind who live in the Dark Forest.

GAMEPLAY
    There are very few HOPs in this game – at least in the demo. There is one mini-game where you must find a multiple number of a single item, spread across a half a dozen different paintings on the wall. Plus one interactive word list at the start. So far, that’s it.

This is, I therefore conclude, is almost a Puzzle Adventure, so HOP players, this may not be for you. The puzzles so far have been interesting and different, and not so difficult I couldn’t figure them out with enough time. Some are quite charming. There is a diorama I enjoyed in part because it is so quirky. In adventure terms, it had its tricky moments, but overall, I did not find it overly difficult.

Getting around and finding the tools you need is helped by an excellent map that gives you your current objective as well as where tasks are immediately available, at least, on the lowest of the three levels of difficulty. There is no journal. The hint is directional.

And there is no animal companion or special gadget to use. Of course, there is Eridan. He might be... entertaining. I finished the demo in about 45 minutes, and it is 2 chapters of an 8 chapter main game.

CE BLING!
    The gallery items include wallpapers (14) of the kind where some effort has been made to make these interesting. I feel I represent a minority of one here. I like wallpapers, and will be swayed by good ones, like these, into going with a CE, if I am kinda leaning that way. Concept art (29), cut scenes, and music (12) – good sign for variety in the sound!

The achievements include collectibles – 50 gold medallions. Both performance and story based awards.

Spoiler:

COMBINED IMPACT
    I am impressed. This is shaping up to be a really nice story, a bit different from the rest. And likewise, while this is another gorgeous fantasy game, it is again a bit different from all the others, being a bit darker and being basically a puzzle game.

Even though, as I said, I love my HOPs, I will be giving this one a go.

I recommend this game!

Last edited by JustTheFacts on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 am

A quote from the bfg forum, just for you Frodo!

calsmom2001 says:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup"  Happy bounce 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks, Justie! This sounds so good - can't wait to demo it!!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 am

Yes, right up your alley, now I think about it RMom!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:00 am

Justie, love that quote   Elk grin 

And I'm sure the dragon would appreciate it, if you brought your own ketchup with you    pfft 

Very excited that the game is out now.   (why is there no dragon smileys here, Genki?   Silly face ).  Happy bounce 
    I did the beta, and loved it then! 

Even in the bonus game...
    Bonus chapter: The fate of an unborn dragon is in your hands!

A wee, unborn dragon?  So cute!   Okay 

It goes without saying, I'll be buying this one.   Happy bounce

Last edited by Frodo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 am

When I finally got to play it, I really loved it too! And I think I'm going to have to have the CE too, because a little baby dragon?? How could I ever abandon such a cutie (although, thinking about it, unborn things aren't usually cute)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 am

LMAO at the quote!!  Belly laugh 

I really enjoyed the beta & will be buying this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10 pm

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup" 
    My parents have this sign on a post that leads up their driveway, compliments of my brother. Snicker

Frodo wrote:(why is there no dragon smileys here, Genki?   Emberwing: Lost Legacy 3286387481 ).  Emberwing: Lost Legacy 2520623126

Well now we do!  I've added this sweet green one Cute Dragon  and this full-of-attitude one  Dragon Attitude

You'll find them both in the Misc section of the smilies.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon  Dragon Attitude  Cute Dragon 

Thanks for adding them Genki.   Hug   They're both so CUTE!    Happy bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm