Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale

genkicoll
    genkicoll

GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale Empty GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:44 pm

2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale Begins Now!
    600+ games discounted by at least 50%, bundle deals up to 80% off, daily personal deals!

GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale 4bf3e0068095fae6182dfc2cb6c0461da4be148e_smallWe're currently experiencing server issues due to the highest traffic ever noted on GOG.com. We did anticipate much interest in our 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale, as well as our Fallout 1,2, & Tactics giveaway, but the number of visits exceeded our highest expectations by far. And we mean FAR. For today, we've prepared double the number of servers that were needed to support our highest day in traffic to date, but it turned out to be not nearly sufficient. We're working on quadrupling our server supply, now.

We're terribly sorry for all the inconvenience you might encounter today, while visiting GOG.com store. If you're new to the site, rest assure that this is far from our day-to-day standards. We're working around the clock until all the problems are fixed, and everyone can enjoy everything we have to offer. If you've encountered any problems, please give it some time. Most issues will be resolved automatically, soon, as the first batch of extra servers is coming on-line right now. If you're affected by something more serious, please be assured that our support team will assist you and fix whatever needs fixing.

Again, we apologize for the user experience, that is not up to our usual standards.

It is here: 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale on GOG.com! The biggest, the loudest, the most varied, and the most exciting sale we've ever done begins now. How big is it? There are way over 600 games from our catalog steadily discounted by at least 50%. How loud is it? Let's just mention the fact, that we're opening with a triple nuclear blast, giving away Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics for FREE the next 48 hours. How varied is it? On top of regular discounts you'll have daily deals including games presented by YouTube personalities, hot thematic bundles chosen each day by our dear users, offered with up to 80% discounts, and--finally--daily personal deals where you pick one of the special offers available to you, and you only. How exciting is it? Well, you probably get the idea by now. So, there you have it: time to save BIG on the best games in history, available DRM-free for Windows and Mac.

This holiday season, your GOG.com Winter Sale experience will include the company of Jesse Cox, Dodger from Press Heart to Continue and the YogsCast team. Let them set the gaming holiday mood for you:

Section updated:Don't forget about your gamer friends that may not know GOG.com yet! Sadly, for the sake of unburdening what servers we have, we had to turn off the option for gifting free games. But you can always just let them know they can sign up with GOG.com and claim a free gift of Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics. On top of that, when they register to our service, they'll receive all the 12 free games we add to all the newly-created accounts. That way your friends will start their adventure with GOG.com with a collection of 15 great games total already on their virtual shelves! Be kind, share the good news! :-)

http://www.gog.com/xmas13

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale Empty Re: GOG's 2013 DRM-Free Winter Sale

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Let's just mention the fact, that we're opening with a triple nuclear blast, giving away Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics for FREE the next 48 hours.

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series_giveaway_winter_promo_2013

Good for another day + 10 hours at the time of this posting~!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:51 am

Please help the newbie - what does DRM free mean?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:08 am

DRM is what the sites add to the games to keep people from stealing them, such as game managers, activation codes, etc.  ALL games at GOG are DRM-free, meaning that you get JUST the games -- no sneaky stuff or advertisements.  You get an exe file to install, and that's it!  You have the option to use their GOG Downloader (which I actually like very much!) but it's absolutely optional. Sunny

And they have a bunch of free games!  Just look for the topic in this section to find them -- I think it's pinned at the top.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 am

cool! thank you! will look - yes, I use their downloader when I bought the dracula trilogy, which heaven knows if I can play! And less chance for these fallout ones, but they intrigue me
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 am

...and you can't beat the price! Elk grin
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:19 am

Big smile 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 am

They have a "DAILY SURPRISE: PICK ONE SPECIAL OFFER FROM THESE 3 BOXES EACH DAY," with the three choices being:

Timeless Classics --- Brave New Worlds --- Random Magic

I chose Random Magic today, and the deal was The Cat Lady for $2.99.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am

Did you buy it? I heard it was really disturbing and gory so I've held off.
    Last night I chose the Brave New World category and bought The Book of Unwritten Tales for $3.99.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 am

Ooh! This sounds like lots of fun - I'm gonna have to have a little lucky dip myself - when I get paid!  Okay 

I am still struggling through Fate's Carnival. I was beginning to wonder if it ever ended or if I was caught in some type of virtual cortex or something!  Stars 

Finally finished main game, and am too exhausted to write up the se review for it (for bfg, you'll get the bonus content review, assuming I ever finish it).Sweat drop  And too tired to play the bonus. So far I have spent about 10 hours on this game and I think I've ended up skipping every one of those super-puzzles - even with the SG and puzzle hint button to help. Gah!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:03 am

No, I didn't buy it, for the same reasons you mentioned, RM.  Still, I thought I would post whatever I "scratch" every day in case that choice (Timeless, Brave, or Random) is the same for everyone who makes that choice for the day.  That way y'all either know which to pick... or to choose something else! Laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 am

Yeah, which to choose? Hmm.... brb
    Okay, I chose Timeless Classic and was offered MDK 2 for $1.49. Umm, never heard of it and - no.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 am

I chose Timeless Classic today, which is Thief 3: Deadly Shadows for $2.49.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Brave New Worlds' choice today is Symphony for $2.49
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 am

There are 12 bundle deals on the front page today, and the grab bags are showing what's in them!

Right now they're showing:

Normality --- Aarlash Legacy --- Incredipede

Weird, because I took a peek right before I left home, and the middle offer (Brave New Worlds) was showing Machinarium!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:47 am

Genki, I'm off in a sec to go Xmas tree shopping, but just wanted to say that my 3 offers are completely different from yours. I think they just may be randomly generated. Have you tried refreshing the page to see if something else comes up?

Will drop by later.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 pm

I'm signed in here at work, and it hasn't changed via refreshing, BUT...

I tried the site via a different browser and got:
    Anachronox --- To The Moon--- Atlantis: The Lost Tales

So it IS completely random!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Ha - yes! Checking in on my phone I got 3 different games. Still no titles I want though.  Rolling Eyes
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Gosh, Tales of Monkey Island is only $5.24 for all 5 sections. DH and I just played this together. Wub  LOTS of fun, especially if you've ever played any of the original Monkey Island games. I'll admit we had to use UHS for hints now and then, but we were riveted - SO clever!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:53 am

Picked up Machinarium today for $2.49. I have the DVD version (and  Wub  it!!!) but I figured for under $3 how could I refuse?
    volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 pm

I have never bought a game from there.  I am looking at To the Moon.  Any other recommendations??
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Machinarium is a great point-and-click puzzle-adventure, and if you like that, I'd also recommend Botanicula and Lilly Looking Through.

You can try both Machinarium and Botanicula online at the dev's website HERE.

To the Moon is a great story game, and highly recommended.  It's NOT an RPG, despite the sprite-type graphics.

Trine 2 is a gorgeous platformer-puzzle game, if you like that type.

You could go classic-adventure and do The Longest Journey, Sanitarium (weird graphics, but supposed to be really good... it's in my library, just haven't played it, yet Embarrassed  ,) the Syberia games, the Dracula games, or Myst.  Most of the Daedalic adventures are on GOG (ie. The Whispered World, The Dark Eye of Satinav, Deponia, etc.) too.

There are just so many good games!  It kind of depends on what you like!  I see that the two games on my wishlist are on sale for $2.99... EEKS~!  My pocketbook! Laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 am

I will echo Genki (and add some):
    ~To the Moon
    ~Broken Sword (Shadow of the Templars. The sequels are also great but start with the original)
    ~Syberia 1 and 2
    ~The Longest Journey
    ~Machinarium (wordless, puzzle-based. You will use your brain; delightful!)
    ~Botanicula (ditto)
    ~Tales of Monkey Island
    ~Myst (and its sequels; dated and require lots of patience but I still love)
    ~Gabriel Knight (the first) is great but the graphics are bad on my computer

Already in my GOG library that I will be playing next: Sanitarium, Stacking, Whispered World, Book of Unwritten Tales, Waking Mars, Sam & Max, Theme Hospital, Tex Murphy, Primordia and more.  Evil Grin Most of these I've played at least part of (even if years ago); all have been highly recommended to me.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 am

Okay, it's about time I admitted my ignorance of all things pc gaming to somebody.

When you say point and click, what exactly do you mean? A non-rpg which you basically play in the same way?

What's a platformer? The ones you have to jump and scroll along?

And are these genuine adventures like the rpg's I played on PS2 where they lasts weeks - 60+ hours of gaming each?

Anything else I could do with knowing? You know, before I go off and buy all the draculas and fallouts without actually knowing what I was buying - aw, that's right, already did that!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:58 am

When someone refers to a point-and-click adventure, they usually mean the TRUE adventures, such as Syberia or (as you mentioned) the Dracula games.  What I meant in this case (a couple of posts up) is a specific style of point-and-click, which is different than the true adventures.  Makes a lot of sense, right? Laugh  If you've ever played a game by Amanita (most are free to play on their website -- the link is above) then you'd know what I was talking about.

To me a platformer is just what you said -- a game that you jump/walk and scroll along.  There are two types:  Your basic platformer like the original Mario Brothers or Donkey Kong, and your side-scrolling platformers like Super Mario Brothers, Trine, etc.

To The Moon is a special, and unique to me, game.  I've never seen another like it.  You can see from the screenshots that it has classic RPG-style graphics, but it does not play like an RPG.  Take a look at my review HERE to get a better idea of what I mean.

Back to the topic at hand, The Book of Unwritten Tales is one of the pick-a-surprise deals today, and the price is $3.99 if you pick that box (Brave New Worlds.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 am