Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Lost Civilization (IHOG version of NiBiRu)

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Empty Lost Civilization (IHOG version of NiBiRu)

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 am

Lost Civilization
    by Icarus Games*  - November, 2013

*HO Scenes by Plata Games, Original Concept by Future Games

Available at:
    Alawar
    Big Fish

Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Lost-civilization_feature

After making an important discovery, your archaeologist fiancé, Michael, is kidnapped in Prague. Clues indicate that the kidnappers want whatever it is he's found and will stop at nothing to get it. Your search for Michael will reveal far more than you could have possibly imagined as you learn that the very fate of the world hangs in the balance!

Explore richly detailed and animated scenes set in Prague, England and Mexico. Solve fascinating challenging puzzles, uncover earth-shattering secrets hidden in a forgotten mine and tap into your inner heroine in Lost Civilization, a magnificent Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure.

• Intense storytelling
    • Over 120 richly detailed animated scenes
    • More than 30 interactive characters
    • Atmospheric sound effects
    • Original musical score

Click images to enlarge
    Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Th_screen1_Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Th_screen2_Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Empty Re: Lost Civilization (IHOG version of NiBiRu)

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am

I downloaded this game, and have a little more information.

The game is by Icarus Games, BUT, the hidden object scenes were done by Plata Games, and the original concept by Future Games, who made NiBiRu.

So, is it the same game?  I don't think so -- the antagonist's name is different.  Is it a sequel or is it that the story was inspired by Future Games' NiBiRu?  This I don't know, yet!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Lost Civilization  (IHOG version of NiBiRu) Empty Re: Lost Civilization (IHOG version of NiBiRu)

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, looks potentially promising to me. Smile
    Many are complaining about the game's dated look but it looks happily nostalgic to me, lol. And I'm happy to have a break from that ERSish fuzzy monochromatic artwork prevalent in every game, which most people love but I'm so-so about. And doesn't look like there'll be unbearably - I mean adorably - cute furry buddies in this one! Snicker
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Let us know what you find out, RM!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Okay, I played most of the demo. Not the whole way through because, sadly, it IS a dull and uninspired retelling of the NiBiRu story with the addition of very easy HOs. The character names are different and the game is incredibly dumbed down but it's the same story.

I couldn't wait to delete it. But I don't get it - why fix what's not broken?! I doubt this version's going to win any new fans. Gah!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Being out of action last week, I've only just now finished my review for this one - I see I was right, RMom, looks like I'm gonna be a little lonely on this old limb Sweat drop 

Unusual!

Sunny Sunny SunnySunny 

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    I read some reviews of this game before I played the demo, and because I did, I wasn’t expecting much from this game. There’s no doubt about it, this game doesn’t meet the normal criteria for a 2013 game. Its biggest crime is it is just too slow, and it harks back to an older style of HO game... But it is not really like any other game, now or then. It is unique, and I’m going out on a limb, because I liked it!

The opening is low key and in tune with the game to come – relaxed, leisurely, with an emphasis on story and dialogue. Then there is also “travel time”, which really has no purpose I can think of but to make sure you get the feeling of distance. Throughout the game there is, I admit, far too much of both. It slows the game right down, but if you can reconcile yourself to that, it plays quite well. Have I mentioned: leisurely.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    The graphics are different and a little weird. They seem somehow shiny. But I liked the overall effect. It made me feel like I was seeing what Prague really looked like for the first time. I’ve never been to any part of Europe, but the Prague of this game is what I imagine Eastern European cities would look like.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the game’s clarity, and in the HO scenes, the look is different, with a more painterly aspect to it. And I liked that too. There is a strange thing that is done with the voiceover (which, overall, is good). Initially the entire dialogue is acted out, but later only important lines are spoken, so it changes the effect that the voice has, increasing its importance to the game. The sounds, like the images, seem  appropriate to an intriguing investigation rather than a gut wrenching thriller.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
    The story is the first I’ve noted on Big Fish that has at its heart a Nazi conspiracy. A well-loved theme of novel writers! Between them, your uncle and your archaeologist fiancé have managed to get into trouble over a site with alleged evidence of alien technology on earth, which the Nazis apparently knew about, way back when. So of course there are bad guys who want to get there first, and your fiancé is kidnapped.

Unlike most games, the start of your investigation begins, not with a car crash, but with red tape at government departments. This is so incredibly like the Eastern Bloc stereo type you have just got to get into it.

GAMEPLAY
    This is not much of an adventure game, although you do get to find some inventory items and must figure out how to use them. Most of this is fairly obvious. It is played more like a HOG, with HO scenes interspaced by travel time, dialogue and an occasional (almost obscenely easy) mini-game (fill the colours on a painting). There are 3 types of HOP. An interactive list, multiples, and misplaced items. There is also a sorting game.

There is a journal to track the story, and there is a hint that does indeed give you a hint. I like that in a game. The map is used by the game to get you around, but you have no access to it.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
    The litmus test for any demo is, of course, whether you are disappointed when it ends. I certainly was, both disappointed, and surprised. The time had run completely away from me. Which is why I am happy to recommend giving the demo a try. It might surprise you the way it did me.

I Recommend This Game!

PS. I love no censor!! I am aloud to say Nazi here lol!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:44 pm

lol~ There are so many things that I love about this site, not the least of which is that everyone here respects others' opinions without trying to either force their own, or belittle the other party.  I love my site AND my members! HeartElk grin

As for the game, I think it will be interesting for those of us who haven't ever played NiBiRu to play this, then play NiBiRu... which I do own, but of course haven't played Embarrassed

I will give this one a try for myself... again, eventually! Belly laugh
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:57 pm

JustTheFacts, you haven't played the original NiBiru, have you? For those of us who have, I think that plays a large part in coloring how insipid and derivative this 'knock-off' feels, how the game plays without much rhyme or reason, how undeveloped the story is, and that it's missing the fun of thinking things through and solving problems as they come up. Try the original, you might really like it.

And if you are interested in a superior and very fun adventure game filled with humor and action and some Nazi intrigue, there's always the excellent Broken Sword!  Two thumbs up  No longer sold by BFG of course meh  but available as a download elsewhere.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm

You're right, I haven't played NiBiru. It has been a long time since I played true adventure games, I am not sure I could play them anymore. I did think of mentioning this, after I'd already posted my review but was feeling up to editing Smile 

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 am

Now, girls, are we serious about NiBiRu being good, cuz you know, I will have to rely on your recommendations for this one - no demo! And I'm inclined to buy it.
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 pm

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Nice Okay  Thanks for the feedback, Sporty --  it's always nice to have another point of view to look at!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks for your review sporty!

Can you believe it? We agree! I too didn't know about NiBiRu before I wrote the review, and it is obviously making a big impact on people's reactions to Lost Civilization. I think I'll go your way and get both!
    Sportygal2009
    Sportygal2009

Post by Sportygal2009 Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 pm

DELETED

Last edited by Sportygal2009 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:26 pm

To me, there's something fascinating about a game that's been given a different interpretation. I like it when franchises get a new developer too. It is interesting to see what they make of it.

I am pretty hopeless with the large file adventure games (although they're not large files anymore - half the CEs are over 1GB too), so I haven't played many, but I am itching to get back to what, years ago, was my favourite genre.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm