Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix)

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Empty Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix)

Post by genkicoll Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 am

Mystery Age: Liberation of Souls
    by Digital Quarter - September, 2013

Series links: Mystery Age 1: The Imperial Staff, Mystery Age 2: The Dark Priests, Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls

Available at:
    Big Fish

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Mystery-age-liberation-of-souls_feature

Defeat the Chaos God in Mystery Age: Liberation of Souls! The treacherous god of chaos has fled to the east, conquering an entire desert kingdom in his wake. Every man, woman, and child who got in his way became trapped in a mysterious orb, including you! Now you find yourself in a strange realm, where villagers have been turned to things like plants, ice, and scarecrows. To free them, you must defeat the Chaos God once and for all! But watch out – his minions are hiding around every corner! Overcome their evil and escape from the orb in this exciting Hidden Object adventure!

Click images to enlarge

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Th_screen1_Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Th_screen2_Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Empty Re: Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix)

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 am

Simplistic, But Not Bad  
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON DEMO

This is a simple little HO game, and I wouldn’t even consider buying it at full price, but on sale or as a Punchcard filler it has much to recommend it.

The graphics are fair, no wide screen settings, but not so poor a quality as to make the game unplayable. The music is lovely, but unfortunately there just isn’t enough of it to prevent it from becoming tedious, even in the demo.

Some of the things we expect in games today are not to be found here. There is no voiceover, no introductory video piece, just a series of stills with text to bring us up to date with the story so far (this is the third game in the Mystery Age series). There is also an assumption in the intro that you have played the other games and know the backstory. However, I did not find it a problem.  Story isn’t really that important here.

Which isn’t to say that there isn’t one. Our ancient enemy the Chaos God is once again causing troubles, capturing souls in a black crystal ball. Soon, you too find yourself trapped in there, and must help the other trapped souls to break the spell. It is nothing inspired and could have been told better, but it was intriguing anyway. It was a delight to see a story set in the desert lands of the Middle East. I don’t think I’ve come across Bedouins before!

The gameplay, like the graphics, is fairly simplistic. But there is variety. There are non interactive list HO scenes with little or no animation, but the same scenes are also used for progressive fragmented objects scene. Similar to the progressive silhouette, you must first piece together one object to be used in the scene to find others. There are also a few scattered puzzles, nothing so far that we don’t already know, but tricky nonetheless. Adventure gameplay is the least attractive aspect of this game. Found and inventory items are used almost immediately, as a rule, and the next step is generally fairly obvious and not at all imaginative.

The interactive map cannot transport, but does tell you when you have a ‘scene’ puzzle and/or a ‘close-up’ puzzle or a HO scene in a location. It can be found in the journal, which also has a task list.

I do have a couple of beefs with this game. First, the cursor pick up is exceedingly fickle, sometimes requiring many tries before you can get and use your item. And the speech balloons and story text does not close automatically when finished, you must press ‘skip’ to get rid of it.

I am sure I will buy and enjoy playing this game, but I’m not in any rush – it is not a game that screams ‘buy me’, nevertheless...

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Empty Re: Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix)

Post by genkicoll Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 am

Nooooo Mystery Age 3: Liberation of Souls (FROG / IHOG mix) Tuzki-bunny-emoticon-001  It has be be awesome like the last one!  Well, you never know, I may love it.  Different strokes, and all that Big smile  Thanks for the review, Justie!  Glad to see you back~!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 am

Nah, don't fret! If you liked the last one, you'll Heart LOVE Heart  this one!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm