Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

It's Celiac Disease Awareness Day!

genkicoll
    genkicoll

It's Celiac Disease Awareness Day! Empty It's Celiac Disease Awareness Day!

Post by genkicoll Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

September 13th, 2013 is Celiac Disease Awareness Day!

What is Celiac Disease, you ask?  Well, I hope you're wondering, 'cause otherwise you're having to live gluten-free already.

Celiac Disease - a disease in which the small intestine is hypersensitive to gluten, leading to difficulty in digesting food.
    Doesn't sound too bad, right?  Well, a better definition for you:

Celiac disease is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. The damage is due to a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats.
    Starting to sound a bit more of something to worry about?  People with Celiac disease must NOT have gluten of any kind in their diet, even when there don't seem to be any symptoms!  Gluten seems to be in EVERYTHING, and for those of us who can't have gluten, it can really limit what we can eat!

Am I implying that I have Celiac Disease?  It probably seems that way, but actually I have a gluten intolerance, which is different than CD.  Those with CD may not have any symptoms when they accidentally ingest something with gluten in it.  Me?  I get a low fever, swollen glands, and horrible aching all over my body for at least three days after being exposed -- even breathing in flour dust will do it to me! :(

Wikipedia wrote:Gluten sensitivity (also gluten intolerance) is a spectrum of disorders, including celiac disease and wheat allergy , in which gluten has an adverse effect on the body. Symptoms include bloating, abdominal discomfort or pain, diarrhea, muscular disturbances and bone or joint pain. It can also cause other unexpected symptoms such as headaches and vertigo, among many others.
    I mentioned that gluten seems to be in everything, so let me give you a SMALL example of the things we have to avoid:

Wheat, barley, rye, spelt, malt/malt syrup (derived from barley), brown rice syrup (has MALT in it! Meh,) triticale (cross between wheat and rye,)  durum, semolina, beer, soy sauce (there are a FEW brands with no wheat in it), couscous, etc. etc... and for those of us who are REALLY sensitive (like me!) we can't even have OATS! Cry

For those who want/need more information, here are a few web sites that will help:

Celiac.com (TONS of useful information!)

Gluten-free Diet: What's Allowed and What's Not

Hidden Sources of Gluten

It's Celiac Disease Awareness Day! O9fj

Current date/time is Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:17 pm