Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Magic Cauldron Chaos

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Magic Cauldron Chaos Empty Magic Cauldron Chaos

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 am

Magic Cauldron Chaos
    by Hearthfire Studios (Pub.) - July, 2013

Available at:
    Big Fish
    GameHouse

Magic Cauldron Chaos Magic-cauldron-chaos_feature

Lisa is an inventive witch, highly skilled in the art of crafting potions. One day, however, one of her potions goes awry and opens a rift that drops her in another world. This strange world is made up of floating islands inhabited by peaceful gnomes and thieving imps. Only the gnomes know how to get Lisa back home to her own world. But first, she must help them defeat the imps who have been stealing all of their magic potion ingredients. By constructing resource buildings and matching potion ingredients, Lisa can clear the way across the five islands for the gnomes to gather the artifacts that will open the portal home.

• Construct various buildings to produce potion ingredients.
    • Guide the gnomes to match ingredients to make potions.
    • Purchase dozens of upgrades to create more valuable potions.

Click images to enlarge
    Magic Cauldron Chaos Th_screen1  Magic Cauldron Chaos Th_screen2  Magic Cauldron Chaos Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Magic Cauldron Chaos Empty Re: Magic Cauldron Chaos

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:48 am

Certainly Chaotic!  
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON DEMO

Okay, I admit it, I am not good at these timed games, I get flustered. But this one is stress on hyperdrive. There are sure to be some experts of this genre, though, who’ll find this game easy enough to be fun.

In production terms, this is a very basic game, but surprisingly, you can adjust the aspect ratio in options which greatly improves the visuals. They are, however, low def cartoon graphics, and there is no voiceover for the (lengthy) introduction to the story.  You are spun off into an alternate world where the gnomes are friendly and besieged by imps. They can help you get back home, but only if you can help them get rid of the pesky imps.

Music is quite good, upbeat but not the usually irritating few bars.

To explain why this game is not for everyone, I can only describe the gameplay on a level (even the early ones).

You must make potions, cast spells, raise money, collect gems, outrace imps and beat the timer. Once you’ve managed all that, you get a rift stone, many of which you need to get to the next of 5 islands.

POTIONS – there are 5 types of potions to make, each a different colour. To make them you must first build a well and a flower garden, and with each choose a colour for the potion, because once chosen, only that colour can be made on them or go into the cauldron. The annoying thing about this action is that to get these items to the cauldron, you must click on the item hovering over the building then click on the right cauldron, all before an imp gets there.

CAST SPELLS – these are the usual power ups (freeze imps, increase speed etc.). You get them with progress in the game or you can buy them at the shop using the gems you find, but only between levels. They use up your limited supply of magic power.

COLLECT GEMS – this is my favourite bit because I don’t have to do anything other than hover the cursor in the general area to pick them up. They used in the shop.

IMPS – they walk towards your buildings, if they get there before you’ve collected the products, they destroy it (both your water and your ingredients). From as early as level 3, there seem to be an awful lot of them!

NO UNTIMED MODE – no good for me, I’ll be lucky to get more than I have in the demo. I’m already repeating levels.
    There are, according to the promo video, also puzzles, but I unfortunately don’t have the skill or fortitude to get that far into the game.

It has perhaps a greater appeal to children than adults – and they usually have a better ability to play with these types of high tension games.

But if all this complexity sounds great to you, then you’ve got yourself a nice little game here.

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 pm