Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+14
Butterflyshrimp
JustTheFacts
Perheart
BloomingLilac
marianne
Fairjuno
jeanniemouse
luvtoread
djrum
RenaissanceMom
Esme
Spirit_of_Auron
vervaine
genkicoll
18 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1 - Page 30 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread 1

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 am

I am demoing it now having downloaded it from GH
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 am

JustTheFacts, after you demo, please let us know if it's a true D&E game. It's still not listed at Alawar's site.

My reasoning says, BFG should get it next week (I'm sure it'll be a CE).
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 am

Sometimes Alawar doesn't get their own games until AFTER the other portals get them! OH!  I'm not sure why!  Pretty sure the Alawar Five-BN games always show up at there first, but the Alawar Stargaze games (like The Fog) tend to go to the other portals first.  Go figure *shrugs*
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 am

Okay, well it is certainly not happy happy joy joy!

It's night, everywhere is abandoned and in ruins, lots of rust, and scary teddy bears with teeth. The music disappears often and you hear crickets and frogs and what sounds like owls hooting (we don't have owls, so I am going on experience limited to tv and dvd).

It is not a big budget impressive game. And it might quite suit you, because there seemed little hand holding. I found myself using hint just to get around. There is a lot of to and fro, and the map doesn't jump.

Graphics are clear and crisp though, which means I won't rule it out yet. But I have so many games I want! Argh!faceplant 

Will have a full review up shortly.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

I kind of knew what to expect when I loaded up this tire commercial, but it still made me jump, anyway! Laugh

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:19 pm

This is a tire commercial? Huh?  The guys reactions are funny.....after that first scare!!

Is there a translator in the house??
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 pm

I've got to say I am so proud of Elephant Games! They have restored the awesomeness of the MCF door lock puzzles. I am having so much fun with Fate's Carnival. It's like I'm rediscovering how fun and challenging and exciting these games can actually be. Happy bounce
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow, jump? That commercial almost made me pee my pants! Shock  

Thanks, JustTheFacts! I've read your review of The Fog and since I love dirty graphics, an abandoned anything & isolation, it sounds like it's right up my alley!
    I'm surprised it's not a CE though. Alawar's Stargaze usually releases CEs.

I have to agree with you, Esme. I am very impressed with Fate's Carnival. EG did a fantastic job. I have finished the main game and am working on the bonus now.
    It's funny...here I thought I'd get this game done before Thanksgiving since it was released early. But nooooo, I'm tellin' you, it was those darned difficult puzzle locks. Stars
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 pm

I just finished the beta for Nightmares From the Deep: Davy Jones, developed by Artifex Mundi. 

I'm a huge fan of this series & I will buy #3 when it comes out! Happy bounce
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 am

I think I played the first one of that series, DJ. I think it was okay, but I didn't love it.

It's weird... give me a haunted asylum or hospital or orphanage or especially a circus/amusement park and I'll go in an play the game every time... no matter how many of those asylums, hospitals, orphanages or amusement parks I've played in. However, I just hate games set either under water, or with some sort of Aztec-y type theme. I won't play or buy them. It's a weird quirk I have. 

Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one with game "quirks"??? It can't be just me, right? Cry
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:50 am

I have quirks too - the opposite to yours though! I love anything and everything underwater. I don't mind 'ugly' aslyum ones. I also don't like photo-realism, and it is often enough to spoil the game for me, and I hate most of all the games that don't use some sort of aspect ratio setting or at least give you something other than black bars on the sides.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 am

esme--I also am loving MCF-Fate's Carnival. I tell you though--my sympathies to anyone
    with bad eyesight. Some of those puzzles are hard on the eyes.
    As for quirks....do I have any....Hmm... ......yup....Big smile .....lately for me its not so much
    about scenery that gets to me.
    Its about doing a bunch of useless stuff. Like the way I went off on the second Mysteries
    of the World about running errands for someone while they just stand around and an animal
    is caught in a trap.
    Its those things that are sending me around the mental bend.....Overreaction .....and that is
    a very short bend. Snicker 

I am looking forward to trying out The Fog.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:09 am

It's a funny thing about 'quirks'. I sometimes think, what IS it about certain games that make me love or hate them? It's so hard to answer. It isn't the setting: some games set in ______ (fill in the blank) I adore and some make me cringe. It isn't necessarily the artwork or story or HO/puzzle ratio or even the developer (though you'd think it might be). How often a game appears perfect for me on paper but sinks like a stone upon playing! I've learned never to say never, and also to demo everything (lots of anticipated sequels were awful to me).
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 pm

For a long time, I had such a restricted data allowance, I couldn't afford to try everything first - boy did I love reviewers then! I haunted a game's site and forum, reading over potential games, again and again and again, trying to decide how I spent my pittance - now it is like heaven. I have unlimited data and boy am I taking advantage of it!

I usually can't help myself - if there's a sequel, I almost always end up buying it, even if I don't like it. Guess they don't call them collector's editions for nothing!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Heck, I'll play anything as long as it's got a halfway decent storyline.

I don't like cartoon graphics, a huge cursor (I like the small, sharp-pointed ones), unnecessary backtracking, a useless journal or diary, annoying music & sound effects...I could go on & on.

I'm not fond of water/underwater games either, mostly because my computer used to feel like it bogged down in water scenes. Not so much anymore and pirate-themed games, I really like!

My favorite settings in a game are usually abandoned/haunted buildings and I love a spooky carnival/amusement park! 
    I prefer total isolation with absolutely no helpers, just me & the story.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 am

The Fog is at BF. I won't be able to demo till later. I am just wondering if certain things
    were left out of this version. I won't know, but will be wondering if I am missing anything.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:16 am

lol, I'm gonna replay the demo today too, so I'll let you know if I see any startling gaps! Of course, they could mess with the rest of the game.

I was shocked to see how low the MB for this is. 329MB full version!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 am

I could barely tear myself away from the demo of The Fog long enough to buy. I'm hoping BF allowed the uncut version. I'll find out, I'm playing it next because I need a D&E game.

I finished Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone (SE) last night, which I thought was a very good murder mystery game.
    Immersive storyline and beautiful locations, with the right amount of HO scenes and not-so-hard puzzles.
    The SE had a suitable conclusion.
    I almost wished I would've got the CE. With Vast games, it's hard for me to decide on whether I want the CE or SE. The Nightfall Mysteries series are the only ones I will immediately purchase the CEs (if offered).
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:34 am

Gosh, I am a motor-mouth today!  Rolling Eyes
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Nothin' wrong with that, DJ! Sunny

Justie, I used to have the problem with having a sequel, even if I didn't love it.  Nowadays I'm finding more gaps in my series, because I refuse to buy a game that I  a) likely won't play, and b) probably wouldn't enjoy even if I DID play it!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm

genki - Haven't quite got to that level of self-discipline yet - but at least I'm waiting for the SE in most cases. Fates Carnival being an obvious exception.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:07 pm

djrum wrote:I could barely tear myself away from the demo of The Fog long enough to buy. I'm hoping BF allowed the uncut version. I'll find out, I'm playing it next because I need a D&E game.

I finished Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone (SE) last night, which I thought was a very good murder mystery game.
    Immersive storyline and beautiful locations, with the right amount of HO scenes and not-so-hard puzzles.
    The SE had a suitable conclusion.
    I almost wished I would've got the CE. With Vast games, it's hard for me to decide on whether I want the CE or SE. The Nightfall Mysteries series are the only ones I will immediately purchase the CEs (if offered).

I really enjoyed DC: B & S. I have the CE version. The Bonus story was interesting.
    If you like The Fog, then I know I will too.  Hug 
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am

Have both games on my to buy list, but it is getting sooo long! I keep forcing myself to wait, wait, wait because I also have 20 games I own but have never played through! There's gonna be an avalanche soon though, can't keep holding back that I-must-buy energy!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 am

I am very much enjoying The Fog with the grungy scenery and awesomely eerie sound FX and it is creeping me out somewhat.  Okay 

It's hardly intuitive and neither am I, so those two things are making for some long-ass gameplay! But that's fine with me.
    I really needed a D&E game to balance out all the fairytale games I'd been playing.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 am

JustTheFacts, I've got quite a few unplayed games, too, CEs and SEs. I cannot keep track anymore. I have to look through my Purchase History & write down what games I need to play...and my list keeps getting longer.  Shock 

I am what some might call a game hoarder, um...I mean, Game Collector (as luvtoread likes to say) and I'll get to them eventually.  Big smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am