Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

AutismSpeaks.org & Autism Society of America

ScarletteSpider
    ScarletteSpider

AutismSpeaks.org & Autism Society of America Empty AutismSpeaks.org & Autism Society of America

Post by ScarletteSpider Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Did you know that one in every 150 people you meet and know has Autism? Yeah...it's that prevelant, I should know, I'm a high functioning Autistic myself. But not all my fellow afflicted are as fortunate. Many are moderate to low functioning, whom cannot live independently and need lots of special stuff to help their families care for them.

We get/need life skills classes to learn how to do the everyday things most folks take for granted like cooking, getting dressed, taking a bath, doing laundry and dishes, etc. Most of us are reaaaaallly good at some things, most are good at math and science. Others like myself suck at math and science but are good at liberal arts instead. We are the folks that the term "idiot savant" was coined for. We seem like everyone else until it comes to something our brains simply will not fathom no matter what we do.

Both of the aforementioned charities use their proceeds to fund independent life skills programs, fundamental and higher special needs education programs, and are lobbying in state and federal legislatures to get bills passed into laws for disabled rights.

When giving generously to your other charities, please consider dropping a few bucks to one of these too?

Thank You in advance! Sunny
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

AutismSpeaks.org & Autism Society of America Empty Re: AutismSpeaks.org & Autism Society of America

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:06 pm

You're in good company here, Scarlette. You might enjoy this thread:
    Austim, Asperger's Syndrome and other Autism-Spectrum Disorders

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am