Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

5 posters

Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Empty Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward

Post by genkicoll Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward
    by Specialbit Studio

Series links: Haunted Hotel 1 (straight HOG), Haunted Hotel 2: Believe the Lies, Haunted Hotel 3: Lonely Dream, Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward, Haunted Hotel 5: Eclipse, Haunted Hotel 6: Ancient Bane, Haunted Hotel 7: Death Sentence, Haunted Hotel 8: Eternity, Haunted Hotel 9: Phoenix, Haunted Hotel 10: The X, Haunted Hotel 11: The Axiom Butcher, Haunted Hotel 12: Silent Waters, Haunted Hotel 13: The Thirteenth, Haunted Hotel 14: Personal Nightmare

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Haunted-hotel-charles-dexter-ward-ce_feature

Track down your missing twin in Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward. The  only trace of your missing twin is the necklace he never took off…and a  swampland address. Follow the clues to an abandoned hotel and unravel a  mystery of necromancy and more in this eerie hidden-object puzzle adventure  classic!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus Gameplay
    • Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Concept Art

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Th_screen1_Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Th_screen2_Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Th_screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 10 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Empty Re: Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward

Post by genkicoll Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 pm

When I first pulled this up this morning and saw the graphics, I wondered if it was actually part of the Haunted Hotel series. The graphics are just beautiful, and look nothing like the previous games. Usually Big Fish will add a link to the previous game in the description when it's part of a series, and they didn't do that for this game.

Looking at the font they used, then looking up the author, I realized that this is, indeed, the fourth installment of the Haunted Hotel series. Big smile

I'm hoping that Charles Dexter Ward will be like the most recent Hide and Secret and Margrave games - a wonderful departure from the usual gameplay. High hopes from me on this one!
    bribling

Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward Empty Re: Haunted Hotel 4: Charles Dexter Ward

Post by bribling Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm

I was unimpressed by this. I own the first two games in the series. I did not like the 3rd and did not buy it. This is the worst of the series for me. My main problem was the long loading between scenes but I also found it just a bit boring. IMO, the first game had the best graphics and gameplay. I did not finish the Demo but did play most of it. I finally gave up on the slow load and tiresome, simple game. This is just my opinion and several people love this, saying they think it is the Best in the series. Reviews at BFG are mixed so it may be worth playing the Demo.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 am

Just Like A Movie      
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I really surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying this game. From the demo, I expected lots of HOS with ‘cut & paste” GRAPHICS (which I generally dislike) and not much else. In fact, there is a lot MORE ADVENTURE than HOS & PUZZLES. And the STORY is INVOLVING.

The STORY runs along familiar lines. We must save our brother from an UNSPECIFIED EVIL FORCE. We find ourselves searching an ABANDONED HOTEL looking for answers. There is a lot of ground to cover, and many locations: the hotel, the gardens and a swamp are just some. There is also lots of activity within each LOCATION, and we will return to all of them several times. Unfortunately, we DON’T have a MAP or a JOURNAL, so we’re on our own about where to go next. Luckily, HINT is VERY HELPFUL outside HOS, giving the item you need and its location.

Some of the CUT SCENES are great. They are OLD MOVIE in style, and many are DEFINITELY CREEPY. But others that take on a more familiar style seem very poor quality. Still, the good ones are in the majority. Accompanying the CREEPY VISUALS are some REALLY SCARY AMBIENT SOUNDS and some UNIQUELY EERIE MUSIC.

Early on, there are a LOT of HO SCENES. These are LISTS with NO INTERACTION OR ANIMATION. Despite that, they are still enjoyable to play. The CUT & PASTE GRAPHICS are very clear and crisp, and realistic. Objects are easy to see. As the game progresses, the number of HOS dwindles, but near the finish, we will revisit the early ones.

PUZZLES & MINI-GAMES are RARE, but INTERESTING. I had to skip a few. A lot of time is spent finding necessary items for our inventory. Some inventory items can be COMBINED. We are also COLLECTING the 30 or so INFO PAGES which not only give you BACKSTORY, but also REQUIRED INFO needed for potions etc. These are kept as an “INFO” menu rather than a journal.

This is, I think an EXCELLENT LOW BUDGET game. While there are no bells and whistles, the QUALITY of the GAMEPLAY makes them UNNECESSARY.

I Recommend This Game!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 am

I LOVE this game, and found it highly absorbing and entertaining. I'd rate it at least 4 stars!  Two thumbs up
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:59 pm

This,  to me,  is the best Haunted Hotel in the series.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 am