Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

3 posters

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)?

genkicoll
    genkicoll

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? Empty What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)?

Post by genkicoll Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 am

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)?

GOG is a site that specializes in bringing us the "Good Old Games", mostly classic adventures that would normally not work on our newer computers. There you will find a variety of titles, from Gabriel Knight, to Syberia, to the Ultima Series, to Simon the Sorcerer, to the recently-released 7th Guest and 11th Hour.

You will also find RPG's (Role-Playing Games), FPS (First Person Shooters), Action, Strategy, SIM's, Sci-fi, Racing, and Sports!

All GOG games are DRM-free, meaning that there is no embedded spyware, game manager or need for registration codes. The games you buy at GOG are simply .exe files that you download and run, with no strings attached. Very cool What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? 737505495
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? Empty Re: What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)?

Post by genkicoll Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:50 am

I've never had any trouble with GOG (Loooove them!) or their payment options, but they have now started accepting a new form of payment, and the info is below:

New payment option: Paysafecard

A pre-paid option in GOG.com checkout!

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? Af8014091d888d293a7a7358ceee85f2b3a1e252_smallYesterday, we've introduced a new payment option into GOG.com checkout, namely Paysafecard. The ability to complete your order using a pre-paid type payment method was one of the site features you requested quite often via e-mail, forums, social media, and even our own community wishlist. We decided to go with Paysafecard, which is the European market leader in online prepaid solutions. Not sure what pre-paid means? It means that you buy a physical card from one of 450,000 sales outlets available and use it to make safe online payments without a bank account or credit card.

How to utilize this new feature? Easy! After clicking the 'Process order now', you will be redirected to the Paysafecard page to complete your order. (Please note that we charge in US Dollars, and, if a currency exchange is required, Paysafecard will charge an additional fee.)

You can read more about this payment option on the official Paysafecard website. You can also use the site to easily locate a retailer offering the Paysafecard near your location. Hope you'll enjoy this new feature!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:08 am

genki--I have a question. I remember I asked this awhile back--when the BF forums were
    open and mariannequilts answered me, I believe.

I bought Dracula Trilogy. It was sent to my GOG downloader. Now what? How do I
    get a game to dl so I can play it?
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 am

Luv, every time I download a game from GOG (usually around 1x a month or so) I have the same problem. I forget what I do to load the game, each and every time. I know I fiddle with it a bit - I think I always re-download the GOG installer (pops up on the right I think) although I'm not sure I need to - and then after a few attempts it finally loads just fine. But I'm never sure what I'm doing wrong/right.

Sorry for my lack of technical finesse, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone although it does eventually load and it's always worth it.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 am

I had to sign in to GOG and look to remember, myself! Laugh

Go to My Games (top left, click on your name to see the link,) then click on the picture of the game you want to download.

You don't HAVE to have the GOG downloader, but it makes things much easier if you have more than one file to download! Big smile  The option to get the downloader will be on the right-hand side, and you only have to dl it once.  If the switch is turned to "off," simply switch it back on so that it will work Wink

Once the downloader is ON, you'll have light gray buttons you can click on to download all of the files at once.

If you don't want to use the downloader, here's how to DL your stuff:

For the game itself, click on the game name at the top left of the dark gray box.  For extras (like manuals, soundtracks, etc.) click on each that you want on the right-hand side.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I have all the files dl/d onto the GOG dler. It shows Dracula Trilogy and then shows
    it dl/d Avatars, Wallpaper, Manual and Windows Installer.

And it sits there, taunting me Huh? 

So....how do I get the game to download so I can play it?

I know.....I am...hmmm.....what's the word? Computer pathetic?? Embarrassed 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Click on the name of the game, there above everything else on the left (after you've clicked on the picture of the game you want to download.)  Confusing >_<

Unless you have the GOG downloaded, in which case you can click on the light gray tab that says Windows Installer (or something like that) on the left-hand side.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 pm

OK...I know I am being a pain.....but bear with me.

I wish I could take a pic of my GOG Game Page. And my downloader.

On my dl/dr it shows what was dl/d and the pic of Dracula. Above it are tabs that
    says Resume All, Pause All and Clear. The only one that will respond is Clear. On
    the right is Settings.
    On My Account Page, it shows My Games on the Left. I click on a game, to the right
    pops up the option to install GOG dler, which I have already done.
    Then it shows the Windows Installer (English) and Bonus Pack.
    All of which is on the dl/er and just staring at me. meh 

I sent them an e-mail. I am really stumped.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 pm

I hope these screens will help.

GOG downloader on:
    What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? Gog-110

GOG downloader off:
    What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? Gog-210

and you can try this if you want to try taking a screen capture:
    How to Take a Screenshot
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 am

FINALLY--Sweat drop -I had (the first time) clicked on the Windows Installer.
    I noticed that it wasen't included in the dl/er. So I clicked on it again.
    It is now on Set Up. Happy bounce 

Thanks for your patience. We\'re Unworthy! 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:51 am

CONGRATULATIONS! This is really similar to what I go through when I download. And you'd think I remember the steps but I never do. However, I thoroughly enjoy each and every game from them so much!  Heart
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:59 am

Nice to know I am not the only one who forgets the steps......I forget the moment the
    problem is solved Rolling Eyes ....out of sheer relief that it was somehow solved!! Big smile 

I mentioned over at Challengers that the quality of this game on GOG is much better then
    that of Gamersgate (I own the same Dracula games from both sites. After playing it from
    Gamersgate awhile back, decided to spend the whopping $2.99 for the Dracula Trilogy
    at GOG to do comparison.)
    I still have to finish MCF Fate's Carnival, I am on the Bonus Chapter.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 am

Announcing Our New Guarantee!
    Game doesn't work for you? Tell us to fix it! If we can't we'll give you your money back!

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? 6e71a191a4b54d58b8bf11831ab6d22d76b5d513_smallSo, you bought a game on GOG.com and you've run into some trouble launching and playing it on your system, despite the fact it meets the specs we've put on the game's catalog page? This happens rarely, as our test lab does its best to assure your experience with our titles is as smooth as possible. But it does happen. And when it does, we want to give you the best support you'll ever get from an on-line store. Just navigate to our Support section--it's quite possible that the solution to your problem is already posted there. If not, just fill in a ticket describing your troubles and our top men will do their best to fix it all for you, so you can enjoy your purchase.

But what if they cannot find a solution? If such a rare event should occur, we'll give you your money back. Simple as that. If you buy a game on GOG.com and find that it doesn't work properly on your system, and our support cannot fix the problem, you get a full refund. It's a worldwide guarantee, and you have whole 30 days after the purchase date, to contact us about the refund.

There's even more! If you bought a game by mistake, or simply changed your mind about a purchase, you can get a full refund within 14 days, as long as the game wasn't downloaded. If in any doubt about our refund policies, please consult our FAQ.

We hope our Worldwide Money Back Guarantee will make you feel secure while you expand your DRM-free catalog on GOG.com. Having that said, we're confident that our titles won't give you any trouble in 99.9% cases!

NOTICE:
    Even though this policy is introduced today, its effect goes back 30 days. If you bought a game within the last 30 days and have any of the trouble described here, contact us! We have you covered.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 am

Announcement: Big Preorders & Launch Day Releases Coming!
    The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

What is GOG (aka Good Old Games)? 78a7482aa1d97f08d73e95a4cb1fe2fdaea21071_smallGood news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 am