We found out that the landlord's selling the house afternoon before last, and we got quite the surprise yesterday -- about 26 hours later.
I was on my way home from work when I got a phone call from my husband.
"The damned oven element exploded and caught fire! I checked the elements and the oven before I turned it on, like always, I don't know what happened! I turned it on, and before I could get to the next room, I heard a electrical whine and boom. I opened up the oven and sparks shot out, the damn thing was on fire! Scared the life out of me!"
"Really?" I asked tiredly, "Not again!"
You see this has happened before. The first time the owner said it was out fault because we didn't have the tabs supporting the bottom element properly. Regardless, he replaced the element. We've always been careful since, but it happened again a year or two later, and we replaced it, ourselves.
THIS time he can't blame it on us... it's the UPPER element, which nothing has ever touched except the back of my poor husband's hand (such a bad burn, poor guy!
) and that was years ago! The element was perfectly clean, my husband checked the oven before he turned it on (as always) and yet the element burned right through... towards the back, nowhere near where he burned his hand!
It's like the house is saying, "Yeah that's right
Even if the landlord changes his mind and decides not to sell the house (wouldn't be the first time,) we are leaving -- it's time, we can just feel
it. While it's stressful, this is really a good thing for us. I look forward to seeing what the next few months holds for us!