Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+4
kac
Smallhaven
genkicoll
jeanniemouse
8 posters

Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing?

jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? Empty Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing?

Post by jeanniemouse Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Staring one more thread for us to share good D&E games (or Grim & Gory ones) that were in the midst of...and not so good ones, to share our opinions with others.

I just finished "Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls". It's a very solid D&E, though not all the scenes are dark. The storyline is "average good" (i.e. nothing that really stands out, but it holds together and keeps you going). The graphics are nice and there and both H0G scenes and FROG scenes in it. Items are somewhat challenging, but can be found without too much exasperation (though a few times I went to the "hint" button just to hurry things along). It's more of a "Dark & Eerie Lite"; not too intense and not at all graphic.

Now I've started "Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Bane of the Family", which is # 2. Just now began it, but so far I like it better than the first one, mainly because the storyline builds nicely on the way the first one ended. It's a "typical ERS" game, which means good production values, "OK" voice talent, decent music and nice graphics and puzzles.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? Empty Re: Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing?

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 am

The last game I played was Mystery Stories 3: Mountain of Madness.

I absolutely loved it! Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? 1626129382 It starts out with a very The Thing (Kurt Russell movie) feeling to it, which was awesome. The graphics are beautiful, the story engaging and the gameplay a great mixture of IHOG and Adventure. Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? 737505495
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? Empty Re: Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing?

Post by jeanniemouse Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm

genkicoll wrote:The last game I played was Mystery Stories 3: Mountain of Madness.

I absolutely loved it! Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? 1626129382 It starts out with a very The Thing (Kurt Russell movie) feeling to it, which was awesome. The graphics are beautiful, the story engaging and the gameplay a great mixture of IHOG and Adventure. Dark & Eerie discussion: what are you playing? 737505495

I liked that one too, Genki. It had fantastic music on top of it all.
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 am

I'm in the midst of playing 9: The Dark Side and am enjoying this game immensely.
    kac

Post by kac Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 pm

I started Escape from Ravenhearst and need to get back to it. Skyrim has been taking all of my time. I go exploring in dark caves killing monsters -- so does that count!
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm

kac wrote:I started Escape from Ravenhearst and need to get back to it. Skyrim has been taking all of my time. I go exploring in dark caves killing monsters -- so does that count!
    Absolutely it does! Big smile
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 am

I actually took some time to play games yesterday, and revisited Blackbeard's Castle. This game that had me gritting my teeth, originally, has become enjoyable, thanks to the developer update. It really is a very good game, and the little changes they made really made a difference. The way they lightened up the HO scenes was well done, making the scenes less frustrating, whilst keeping the ambiance intact. :thumb:
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Smallhaven wrote:
    kac wrote:I started Escape from Ravenhearst and need to get back to it. Skyrim has been taking all of my time. I go exploring in dark caves killing monsters -- so does that count!
    Absolutely it does! Big smile

And as much as I'd love to try something like this, I can't stand killing things! Cry (However, I did buy the soundtrack! Me and my game music... Embarrassed )

I'm behind the times on this one, but I just finished "Strange Cases: the Secret of Gray Mist Lake". A good D&E overall, albeit with some familiar storyline themes. Much better than the second one in this series, IMHO, especially since "The Lighthouse Mystery" had an impassable glitch that kept me from finishing it! meh But "Gray Mist Lake" has wonderful graphics and very good gameplay that kept me going for several hours.

ETA: and you're right, Genki; Bluebeard's Castle was a very good game. I must have gotten the later incarnation because I didn't run into any problems with it, but I really enjoyed it.

Mjallhvit

Post by Mjallhvit Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 am

..played Bluebeard's Castle,too! > good game!
    A few weeks ago I played Fallen-the Flowers of Evil..great game!
    Well, at the moment I can´t decide between Chimeras & Fairly Twisted Tales..
    Guess I´ll start both games and play the one which will be a bit better at
    the beginning..
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am

Let us know what you think~! I just bought Chimeras, but I also bought Brink of Consciousness 2 the day it came out and haven't played it yet. Choices, choices! Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm playing Otherworld: Omens of Summer... and it's been.... not as compelling as th first one. I'm in no hurry to finish it, which is never a good sign. Rolling Eyes
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

kac wrote:I started Escape from Ravenhearst and need to get back to it.  Skyrim has been taking all of my time.  I go exploring in dark caves killing monsters -- so does that count!

I haven't gotten in that far with Skyrim.  Forgot what creature I picked and cannot seem to be able to
    use my weapons that I've collected.  I thought I accessed them--but my fists keep coming up.
    Useless against swords.  Some other guy fighting my battles!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 am

I just finished Stray Souls 2, and really liked it. I remember really enjoying the first, and was nervous about the second, but it had all the stuff that I liked of the first in it with a fun new story. I'd recommend it!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm happy to hear it! 

I started Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood a couple of days ago, but I haven't been able to concentrate well enough to continue playing.  Ah well, I'll get back to it at some point Silly face
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am

I continued playing Fears from Childhood last night, and started playing the first Final Cut (here at work) for lunchtime-play.

Fears is pretty good -- I wouldn't say it's excellent, but it is definitely reminiscent of the first game.

Final Cut is an amazing game, just set in a time period that doesn't excite me.  I should have a full review of it done in the next couple of days. Smile

I think I'll play Stray Souls 2, next!  I did love the first one~!
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi, everyone!  I've got lot of catching up to do, in the threads AND in games.  Sadly enough, I've been bogged down in the very game that I was warned to avoid: Aurora's Peak.  Mouse Shades  This is an excruciatingly dull game, but just intriguing enough to keep me from quitting it.  t the rate I'm going I'll be done with it sometime next year...  Gah!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:56 am

Jeannie, how nice to see you! Hug

I started Enigmatis 2, which is deliciously dark & eerie (and actually scary!) but I haven't been able to play it :(  I've been playing the most recent Emily game, and I'm ALMOST finished with it, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into my other games soon Smile
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi there Jeannie! Happy bounce 
    I'm playing Scratches with my DH (s-l-o-w-l-y) and Royal Envoy (the first) on my own as a while-away-the time game. I'm looking forward to playing Enigmatis 2 once the SE is released.
    I'll definitely be playing a game or two this weekend - yay, holiday weekend!!! - but probably nothing brand new since none are catching my eye right now.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Holiday? Dunno
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Heehee, Monday is Columbus Day!!  Oh You
    ETA - Mind you, before working in a school I never used to get that day off. Yeah right
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Btw, Genki, if you (and/or anyone else) want to jump in and start a group play of Scratches with me that would be great. DH and I are moving slowly so you would catch up to us rather quickly. Snicker 

It's starting to get a little  Shock
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Wow!  I forgot their was a holiday too!  I FINALLY finished Aurora Peak and just downloaded Enigmatis: the Mists of Ravenwood.  Great to hear that it's a D&E!  I'm going to get started on it tonight!
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:46 pm

And hugs everyone!!!Hug
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Hugs back! Hug 
    From all the rave reviews I think you'll *love* Enigmatis 2. Let us know!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 am

BF  is having a 2 for one sale,  including  CE's   Happy bounce 

My Favorite Sale!!     I have just dl'd  The Torment of Mont Triste  ( I want to call it
    Monte Crisco).      I definitely will get Enigmatis 2.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am