Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+4
_DD_
bribling
kac
genkicoll
8 posters

GGG - Featured Game

genkicoll
    genkicoll

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG - Featured Game

Post by genkicoll Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:53 pm

It's been a long time since I did a featured game, but it's mostly because I'm so behind on my game-playing! You might have noticed that I've been using banners from the game Margrave 4: The Blacksmith's Daughter, and I will have a few more from this game during the coming week.

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen2

The screenshots don't show how beautiful the graphics in this game really are. The reason for the use of cyclopes in this story is a bit thin, but it works out well, as long as you read all of the story tidbits you come across, so keep that in mind! One of the early mini-games, which you will come across during the demo, is a bit lame, but don't let that put you off -- the rest of the mini's are much more challenging and fun!

I really enjoyed my time playing this game, and highly recommend giving it a try~! You can find my full review HERE.
    _DD_
    _DD_

Post by _DD_ Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 pm

It does look beautiful, genki; very warm colors.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17 am

It's time for another featured game, this time being the first
    Nightmare Realm.

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Fea_wide_2

I was not immediately drawn to this game when I did the demo (of which I only played about 10 minutes,) but I bought it anyway, based on friends' recommendations. I'm so glad I did! This is a beautiful game, which is heavy on the adventure and light on the hidden object scenes.

The gameplay is very much like Dreamscapes: The Sandman, also an excellent game. I ended up really loving Nightmare Realm, and highly recommend giving it a try. GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 1404866550
    GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen2

You can see my full game review HERE.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 am

Today's chilly banner is the end of my Nightmare Realm feature.  Did anyone notice that my current avatar is also from Nightmare Realm? Elk grin

I haven't thought of a new game to feature yet, but if anyone has any requests, just let me know~!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:06 pm

We have a new featured game, this time
    Brink of Consciousness 2: The Lonely Hearts Murders

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 202147

Since I just finished reviewing it a couple of days ago, I won't wax poetic about it here, but I do want to mention again how incredible I found the game.  You can see my review HERE if you missed it, and the banner will change every couple of days to reflect different artwork depicted in the game.

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Brink-of-consciousness-the-lonely-hearts-murders-collectors-edition-screenshot4
    Enjoy!Sunny
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:52 am

We haven't had a featured game since June, so it's about time for a new one!  Between my gaming funk and the fact that I was having trouble finding banner-worthy images in the games I was playing, that would explain the delay, but still...! Silly face

With no further ado, I present to you our newest feature:
    Curse at Twilight: Thief of Souls

This game is truly challenging, and very well made.  Something that bugs me in games is when the devs choose to use the same color palette on every single location in their game -- the same tones whether inside, outside, or a hidden object scene.  I'm all for having a uniform art style for a game, but you can do it without making everything look the same... which THIS game proves!  I have seven banners that I'll be sharing with your over the next week or so, and you'll see what I'm talking about.  We go to so many locations that look different in every way, and yet it all gels together into a cohesive, non-jarring whole.  Beautifully done!
    GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen_3

As you can see from the screen above, we also have some interesting puzzles!

This adventure/hidden object/fragmented object game is unlike most of the fare we're used to, but don't let that put you off.  Check out my full review HERE and see what you think.  You may be surprised!  Sunny
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, folks, that's it for the Curse at Twilight feature.  I hope you enjoyed the various artwork that's been displayed over the past week, and we'll have another featured game as soon as I get some new screens and figure out which game to share! Sunny
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm

The artwork was GREAT!

I kept asking myself "how can she do that?". Extremely well done!!! Are you an arty person in RL?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

lol~ Yes, I am.  I drew my eldest a picture of one of her celebrity crushes (Damian McGinty from Celtic Thunder) for her high school graduation:GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Damian10

It was the first time I'd tried to draw anything in nearly 20 years, and I'd never done anything with pastels or colors before.  She LOVES that picture, and that's what matters Big smile

Computer graphics-wise, I have a lot of experience due to designing for Zoo Tycoon 1 (user-made creations) for five years.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Wow! Seriously cool. I am soo jealous!!! You seem to have real talent genki Two thumbs up 

Um, excuse me for changing the subject, but what does localisation mean?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Localization is when the companies translate into other languages.  Sometimes they don't do a very good job Yeah right  Some of these developers are overseas, and English is NOT their first language.  Some companies do a great job (Playrix, which is based in Russia usually does well,) and some companies do a terrible job -- it just depends on how good their translators are, and how good the beta testers are.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

ah, thank you, i knew that most games had to be translated i just haven't heard that term for it before. Smile 
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:07 am

I now present a mini-feature on
    Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar.

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Ghost-towns-the-cats-of-ulthar_feature

This is a really GOOD game that never got much of a chance, as there was implied violence towards animals... except that things are not as they seem, and NO animals or creatures were harmed in the course of this game, save for a single butterfly.

I really enjoyed this one, and it deserved more attention than it got.
    GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen_1

For my full review, click HERE.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I thought I'd do another mini-feature, this time focusing on

Cruel Games: Red Riding Hood

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 202072

This is one of the games that I feel really didn't get the attention it deserved.  Cruel Games is -- as you'd imagine -- a creepy tale.  From the gameplay to the graphics to the story, it's immersive and fun to play.
    GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen3

You can see my review HERE and JustTheFacts' HERE.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:36 pm

It's time for another Featured Game, and what better game than one that takes place on Halloween night?

Shadows: Price for Our Sins is one of the only casual games I've ever seen where the main character actually sounds and acts scared by the events transpiring around her.

GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 202156

This made the beginning of the game pretty intense faint dead away , and though this heart-clenching feeling does not last throughout the game, it is still an excellent offering in many ways.

The story is rich and complex, the mini games different than we usually see, and the overall gameplay excellent.
    GGG - Featured Game - Page 2 Screen_2

I highly recommend checking out this engaging game!  Check out my full review HERE.
    Spooky bats
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Playing it now and really enjoying it!!  Okay
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Cool art genki!!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks, Justie! Sunny  I've got enough (from Price of Our Sins) to last for five more days~
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Well I am disappointed! This game has been really fun, although it has some annoying errors like, for instance, some game instructions are completely wrong (for different games), some misspellings (i.e. "check" for "chalk"), other mistakes. But I'm totally willing to overlook b/c the game has been pretty fun to play.

But now I'm stuck. In the boathouse HO scene, I can't open up a box b/c the game won't allow me to press the correct buttons. (That is, I can press them but the game won't recognize that I have.) So I can't get the necessary items to progress through the game. I have closed and re-entered the scene. I have closed the game and re-opened it. I have checked the walkthrough. Nothing works to get me past this glitch. At this point I'm not willing to restart the game because I'm right near the end and I've put so much time into the game already. I'll try again later but may have to chalk this game up to a waste for me. meh
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Oh yes, I had that problem, too.  How did I get past it...? 

*thinks*

Oh, right!  I'd hit one of the buttons before I had the whole "code", and didn't realize that one of them was still depressed!  Make sure you have the right three depressed, then make sure that none of the others are still pressed down!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23 pm

genkicoll wrote:Oh yes, I had that problem, too.  How did I get past it...? 

*thinks*

Oh, right!  I'd hit one of the buttons before I had the whole "code", and didn't realize that one of them was still depressed!  Make sure you have the right three depressed, then make sure that none of the others are still pressed down!
    Wow, what do you know! I just checked and yes, the other buttons were pressed down, though it wasn't obvious to see. And here I thought it was a glitch to do with my aging computer. Rolling Eyes

Thanks, Genki! I can't tell you how many times I re-entered the scene and kept trying. Embarrassed  Now I can actually finish the game!!!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Well I finished the game, kind of. The final scene went black so I didn't see anything happening. After a while, I hit the "skip" button (the only thing I could see) but the credits began rolling. I got the gist of it, but missed anything that was said or occurred amongst the main characters. Oh well.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Oh, MAN!  Well, you didn't miss a lot.
    Spoiler:
    I would have liked to see a bit more closure, but perhaps 8Floor was planning to revisit the story and pick up from that moment in a sequel. 
    Spoiler:
    Despite these qustions, I REALLY enjoyed the game, which is why I recommended and featured it!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:00 am

Thanks Genki and you're right - I didn't miss much! LOL
    But what about
    SPOILER:
    I loved the beginning of the game best and thought the storyline got sidetracked a lot.
    SPOILER:
    But then again this sort of thing happens in games all the time. Snicker
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:49 am

About Samantha, you did miss something:
    Spoiler:
    I agree that the original creepiness of the story lost its luster as we progressed, but I enjoyed the game regardless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am