Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

"Crossover" games?

jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

"Crossover" games? Empty "Crossover" games?

Post by jeanniemouse Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am

I thought I'd post a topic to jumpstart this forum as well. I generally hang out on the "dark side" but sometimes we trip over games that are not only appealing to us, but that might be excellent choices for our "lighter" friends as well. The "Dark Parables" series, based on fairy tales, comes to mind. I know there is some frustration that there are so many D&E games, so when we trip over these "crossover" games perhaps we could share them.

But I don't want to offend anyone, so just wanted to check: would those of you interested in this forum be alright with games who have the fairy tale type "wicked witch" or "evil wizard"?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

"Crossover" games? Empty Re: "Crossover" games?

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm

It probably varies from person to person. I think that simply adding a short description of each game would suffice.

For example: Voodoo Chronicles has nothing to do with voodoo - Voodoo is simply the detective's name, but there is... (whatever)

I actually haven't played VC yet, but I did see someone mention the above Wink

Actually VC probably isn't a good example, but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean Silly face haha
    Janie42

Post by Janie42 Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Good question & great way to kick-start the forum chatting...

To me, witches & fairies are fine--perfect in fact.
    My sense is that for a game to be non-D&E, maybe folks are looking at an atmosphere & core plotline that is more light-hearted, maybe even funny?
    e.g., Royal Trouble, Queensbury Soup, Jolly Roger?
    Not sure? Whoop whoop
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:07 am

jeanniemouse wrote:But I don't want to offend anyone, so just wanted to check: would those of you interested in this forum be alright with games who have the fairy tale type "wicked witch" or "evil wizard"?

I'm cool with this though I have grown weary of the portrayal of witches in games and find myself no longer purchasing games with nasty evil witches. But that's a personal thing for me since I'm a Hedgewitch and have been offended by the over use of this theme character.
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I know what you mean, Smallhaven. I'm a little fed up with wicked witches myself! It's almost a relief when they toss in a warlock or wizard. Yeah right

But that being said, I remember one "crossover" series that had fantastic graphics. It was a "fairytale" type with a wicked witch. The main drawback, though, was that it had a "fairy" character that followed around and "helped" the main character, only she had the most irritating voice I've ever heard. Absolutely Tinkerbelle on helium!!! eek And then they threw in a baby dragon that sounded like he needed nose spray or some Nyquil and a few days off.

Does anybody remember the one I'm talking about?
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:40 am

I know the game you're speaking of, Jeannie, but for the life of me the name of it escapes me.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 am

Princess Isabella 1: A Witch's Curse Good game, but I was offended by the way the story was handled. "Crossover" games? 3836606441
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:50 am

That's the name of the game! Thanks, Genki.
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

You're right, Genki, that's the one. It was a very good game, but the two sidekick characters had me wishing that the witch had come zooming in with a flyswatter! Gah! And I'm normally someone who hates swatting spiders and flies in a game!

ETA: just out of curiosity, what did you find offensive? Since I live on the "Dark Side" I want to be sure I don't suggest a game that would upset those in this forum.
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:02 am

Personally, I can't imagine you'd upset any of us, Jeannie, with a game name and discussion.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:38 am

Suggesting a game certainly wouldn't offend me, Jeannie, but thanks for asking ;)

Just follow the link I gave above, and scroll down to my review - that should explain Wink
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 am

Re: Princess Isabella 1: A Witch's Curse

Genki wrote a great review on this game and I found myself nodding in agreement when I read it. But unlike Genki, I liked the Princess making spells. She worked on the "white side" of the 'arts' and that was refreshing for me to see in a game.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

It wasn't her making spells that bothered me - it's that in my prejudiced view, I don't feel that a "white witch" should be killing things in order to produce her spell.
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 am

I get what you're saying now, Genki. Thanks for the clarification. We do have different views on this and I don't want to offend so I'll leave it at that.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am

That's OK, I still love you Elk grin
    Smallhaven
    Smallhaven

Post by Smallhaven Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:22 am

Love you, too, lady! Offering
    jeanniemouse
    jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Genki, since I normally hate things being killed, I must have somehow missed that part, or blocked it. But I do understand what you are saying. (Now I'll probably never replay it, because I'll find myself looking out for that).

BTW: this one isn't a crossover, but I've been playing "Hidden Expeditions: the Uncharted Island". I started it thinking it would be a D&E since it had a Bermuda Triangle theme, and it absolutely ISN'T! Very amusing and a little "young" in some ways, but the gameplay would be challenging for a child (it was for me!). It's an excellent "lighter" game; good graphics, complex gameplay. But the scenes were so complex that I found myself getting frustrated; while this one had a few "sparklies" they were so subtle that I found myself wishing they were brighter; I would overlook them several times, then have to backtrack to find what I missed. And this is a game that tends to have several scenes "open" at once (though you do move indelibly to the next "chapter" when you're done).
    But for those looking for a good, solid "light" game, it's a great choice. I didn't see anything in it (even a spider) that I could imagine upsetting anyone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 am