Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT

orphaned
    orphaned

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT Empty HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT

Post by orphaned Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Half Flower

HOW TO REMOVE  A CRAZY PRESIDENT FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

BY JEFF STEIN ON 8/1/17 AT 10:46 PM

U.S. Representative Jamin Raskin had a day at the beach on Tuesday, in more ways than one. He was literally on the sand at Cape Cod, Massachusetts, far from Washington, D.C.. But a day at the beach also meant at least a brief respite from another Trumpslosion.

“It's been so healthy for me, I haven't seen TV all day long,” said Raskin, a liberal Democrat who represents some of the Maryland suburbs of the capital.

A constitutional scholar and law professor, Raskin had long been disturbed by Donald Trump’s incendiary tweets and other erratic behavior during the presidential campaign. His concern only deepened when the president’s obsessions about his margin of victory, the size of his inaugural crowd and “fake news media” reports about his ties to Russia followed him into the Oval Office. The White House chaos that engulfed the administration alarmed him even more.

So in April, Raskin introduced a bill to create a constitutional mechanism for removing a president from office if he were nuts. Of course, “nuts” wasn’t in the bill; the more genteel language is “mentally incapacitated.” But in the weeks since then, “nuts” has been increasingly whispered as a diagnosis for the 45th president’s behavior.
    On Tuesday afternoon, Raskin, 54, deflected a question about Trump’s mental stability.

“I have tried to resist opining myself on the subject,” he says.

But in May he wasn’t so restrained. “This is a president who has insisted that Ted Cruz’s father was involved in the assassination of John F. Kennedy and that Barack Obama was born in Indonesia,” Raskin told The Washington Post. “And he has uttered blatant lies and never retracted them... a sign of a serious mental disturbance.”  Trump’s volatility has only worsened with the ongoing investigations into his Russian ties, many observers note.

This week Raskin preferred to talk about a gap in the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, passed four years after John F. Kennedy’s 1963 assassination, which called for the creation of a bipartisan body to assess whether an ailing president was able to carry on “the powers and duties” of his office.

That body was never established, Raskin discovered. So, he thought, "Well, there's no time like today. So, we should go ahead and do it."

The bill has virtually no chance of passing, of course. For starters, Raskin is a freshman Democrat in a Republican Congress. He has only 27 cosponsors, none of them Republicans. Legal scholars have also dismissed it as unrealistic and “premature.”

Raskin counters that he’s only trying to jump-start a provision that was passed into law 50 years ago but never activated.

“The thing I've been trying to emphasize is obviously that the Trump administration underscores the importance of acting, but we need this body for all times,” says Raskin, who authored a 2003 best-seller, Overruling Democracy: The Supreme Court versus the American People, a look at conservative groups and money in electoral politics..
    The 25th Amendment only set procedures for the vice president and a majority of Cabinet officers to sideline a president they deem is “unable to discharge the powers and duties” of the office. After sending their judgment to the leaders of the House and Senate, the amendment says, “the vice president shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.”

The president can fight back, the current law says, by writing a letter to the leaders of the House and Senate assuring them that he’s fine and resuming his duties. But then the vice president and Cabinet members can say no, he really isn’t fine. At that point, the issue gets tossed to Congress and if, in their collective wisdom, two thirds of its members agree with the usurpers,  the president is out. If not, he gets back into the Oval Office.

Raskin’s Oversight Commission on Presidential Capacity Act would activate Section Four of the 25th Amendment to establish a permanent 11-member commission of high ranking officials and medical experts to determine whether the president is mentally, not just physically, able to do his job.  The Democratic and Republican leaders of the House and Senate would each name a physician and a psychiatrist to serve on the commission. But the panel wouldn’t be licensed to demand the president sit for an examination. Only after Congress passed a resolution could it go into action. Then, if the president were found to be incapacitated, the vice president would immediately become acting president.

“It could be a heart attack, it could be a stroke, it could be a coma, it could be a nervous breakdown, it could be psychosis” that disables the president, says Raskin.

Nor would the president’s diagnosis just be determined by the DSM, the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders, Raskin says. In his bill, it would be defined “according to the Constitutional language of capacity to meet the duties of office.”

But what about impeachment? That’s designed to deal with “high crimes and misdemeanors,” Raskin says, not a situation where the chief executive looks to be off his rocker.

“Of course, they're not mutually exclusive,” he adds. “You could also have a president who is incapacitated for various reasons and also is committing high crimes and misdemeanors.”

“That’s why,” he says, the panel he offers has to be composed of of both medical professionals and former officials with long, distinguished careers at the highest levels of government. Plus the vice president, a person who presumably “understands the demands of the office as well as having some degree of personal knowledge of the president.”

“None of this happens,” he underscores, “without the vice president's action.”

While Republicans are showing increasing distress about Trump, no one’s calling him nuts yet.

Then again, Raskin said from the beach, he hadn’t checked his phone for awhile.

“What's the latest?” he asked Tuesday afternoon. “I mean I wasn't looking for like the last 20 minutes. Did something else happen?”
    jfog
    jfog

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT Empty Re: HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT

Post by jfog Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 pm

I think he's nuts! And I feel like I need to apologize to every Canadian I know. And every Brit, German and Australian! The biggest drawback to removing him from office is that Mike Pence is just as nuts and nean as hell, too! With his rigid, ultraconservative religious leanings, he'd set women's rights clear back to the 1850s. At least he probably wouldn't alienate all of our allies and align himself with the world's worst dictators. Maybe....

We're in a hell of mess here, Orphaned!
    orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 pm

jfog wrote:I think he's nuts! And I feel like I need to apologize to every Canadian I know. And every Brit, German and Australian! The biggest drawback to removing him from office is that Mike Pence is just as nuts and nean as hell, too! With his rigid, ultraconservative religious leanings, he'd set women's rights clear back to the 1850s. At least he probably wouldn't alienate all of our allies and align himself with the world's worst dictators. Maybe....

We're in a hell of mess here, Orphaned!
    Half Flower

sadly .. waaaay too true   Cry

they say he is an outlier ...

I say he is an out and out LIAR !!

my crazy self wants a DNA test ... he must be a Russian sleeper

he scares the bejesus out of me ...

always has ..

my heart goes out to the American people ...

the shame he is bringing to all good men and woman

this may give us hope ..

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 73a1fc3350640714fbf2c27feae337ee
    orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 2752872760

failing THAT ...

VOTE !!!!  

it does matter ...

orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:13 pm

If you hate the results >> blame yourself .. if you did not vote

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT Empty by orphaned on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 2752872760 

If  " Did Not Vote " Had Been A Candidate In The 2016 Presidential Election, It Would Have Won By A Landslide

Only 8 states + Washington DC, had high enough voter turnouts where one of the actual candidates won more votes than people who did not bother to vote. Iowa and Wisconsin for Trump and Colorado, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire and DC for Clinton.
    A few other 2016 election facts for you:

• As a percentage of eligible voters, Clinton received 28.43% (65,845,063) of all votes compared to Trump’s 27.20% (62,980,160) and Did Not Vote’s 44.37%(102,731,399).

• Total voter turnout was estimated to be 55.3% of the voting age population and 59.0% of the voting eligible population.

• It is the 5th election since 1820 when the winner of the popular vote lost the presidency (the others being 1824, 1876, 1888, and 2000)

• Donald Trump received 2,046,656 more votes than Romney did in 2012, but Hilary Clinton received 70,732 fewer votes than Obama did in 2012.

• Neither Candidate even won a majority of votes cast, Clinton got 48.0% vs Trump’s 45.9%.

• As a percentage of the entire US population (including those too young or other ineligible to vote) Clinton got votes from 20.30% of the population and Trump got votes from 19.41% of people.

• Washington DC is the only area in the country where a majority of all eligible voters (whether they voted or not) voted for Clinton (90% of voters, voted for Clinton on a 55.7% turnout). In the other 6 states listed above, victories were simple pluralities.

something to think about ... 

each vote matters as 2016 clearly shows

orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Half Flower

btw

I understand why you feel this way all too well ..

half my relatives are American ...

YOU have no need to apologize ..    HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 941308610 

but the thought is appreciated ..   HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 2752872760 

45 has much to answer for ..
    orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Half Flower

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 5ba3ac81d27cd9adfb6462ba8262a5b4
    jfog
    jfog

Post by jfog Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I lost my post.

Yes, I'm a dedicated voter. I wouldn't allow myself to complain unless I'd participated in the democratic process!

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 6a00d8341d417153ef01bb0973ea13970d-800wi
    orphaned
    orphaned

Post by orphaned Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:49 pm

jfog wrote:I lost my post.

Yes, I'm a dedicated voter. I wouldn't allow myself to complain unless I'd participated in the democratic process!

HOW TO REMOVE A CRAZY PRESIDENT 6a00d8341d417153ef01bb0973ea13970d-800wi

Half Flower

aww

bugger .. the cyber muncher strikes again

agreed re voting ... somehow I KNEW you did   Okay

LOVE YOUR CARTOON !!!!!   Wub

cannot wait to share THIS one ...   Belly laugh

if we don't laugh at even the worst situations 

we may NEVER stop crying ....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content