Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Grow UP

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Grow UP Empty Grow UP

Post by genkicoll Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Grow UP
    by Reflections, a Ubisoft Studio - August, 2016

Series links: Grow Home; Grow UP

Available at:
    GamersGate
    Humble Store
    Steam
    Grow UP 39f8de0903630a2dee53293e85ff18e7df10128c

While out exploring the galaxy with MOM, BUD’s parental spaceship, she goes to pieces. Like, literally – MOM’s all over the place. The positioning of that moon was terribly inconsiderate. Now her ship parts are scattered far and wide across an entire alien planet so rich in flora and fauna it would make even the most jaded galactic gardener’s head spin. It’s up to BUD to collect all her parts and get them back to the moon.

• Join this adorable wobbly robot on his fantastical acroBUDic adventure to the moon.
    • Collect MOM’s ship parts with the help of your new friend POD. She likes planets. A lot.
    • Explore an entire alien planet filled with excitement and wonder. And a Flungus.
    • Walking’s overrated. Tuck BUD into Ball mode to boost, bounce and roll around the planet.
    • Take to the air and soar between floating islands like a big metal bird with the Power Glider.
    • Exercise those green fingers and overcome obstacles by spawning any plant you’ve found with the Floradex 3000.
    • Ride giant Starplants into the sky (yes, we know what they look like…)

Grow UP Ss_a1e4aeb5197541e08cc716428f6a47b4556cd818.600x338
    Grow UP Ss_bcd40a917909fee7483aa9388646f2201a03ba94.600x338
    Grow UP Ss_d7ac40afa03aafe681db498d3765570e441f0238.600x338
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Grow UP Empty Re: Grow UP

Post by genkicoll Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Grow UP (Platformer-Adventure)

There is so much going for this game that I'm not sure I can do it justice, but I'm going to try!  Grow UP assumes that we've played Grow Home.  If you haven't played the first game, I highly recommend doing that first (because it's fun!), but it is not a requirement.

I was expecting the sequel to Grow Home to be the same kind of fun, quirky and delightfully-charming adventure that I enjoyed the first time around, and I was not disappointed!  The basic gameplay and overall feeling of the game is the same, but the devs have included some functions and additions that beautifully expand on that which we already know, making Grow UP even more fun to play than the first game!

BUD's second adventure is open-world, and that's exactly what we get to explore - an entire planet!  We have complete freedom of movement, though of course some areas aren't going to be easily accessible until we manage to obtain some upgrades. 

As we explore we'll discover all kinds of things to help us along the way, so let's go over some of those things:

• 6 Upgrades - Upgrade pods contain new abilities, such as air brakes, a jet pack and a motorized glider.

• 24 Plants to Scan - Unlike the first game, we don't have to drag the plants to the telerouter to scan them - just grab 'hold and hit the button, Max!  Plants have varying properties, and most of them are very helpful in reaching new places!  These become plantable with the touch of a button, allowing you to freely adapt your surroundings!  Don't like the positioning of the plant?  Just grab hold of it and wiggle around a bit, and it will disappear.

• 31 Telerouters to instantly teleport to different areas of the island.

• 150 Crystals - The more crystals you find, the more powerful your abilities become.

• 40 Challenges - What a delightful addition to the game!  Challenges consist of jumping, flying, floating, falling, or otherwise going through an obstacle course of white squares, à la the old SNES game, Pilotwings.  Every eight challenges you complete will earn you a new suit that you can wear, from Ninja BUD to BUD-tanical.

• 4 Star Plants - We have not one, but FOUR Star Plants to grow this time around.  Each one looks different from the last, depending on the region where you find them.  Only the first Star Plant can be found at ground level, so be sure to look around at different levels.  Speaking of which...

• Companion Overview - We have a companion to help steer us in the right direction, and whom is extremely helpful, overall.  Through it we can set a destination - which will give us a lighted beacon to help us find our way (much like the Batman games) - and find telerouters, crystals and challenges.  Telerouters we've not yet activated will blink red on the map, and challenges will have a check mark if we've completed them.  Crystals are another matter, though, as our companion cannot see inside of caves.  You'll need to explore well to find them all!

The cycles of day and night, the clouds and the way the plants glow in the evening can be breathtaking.  I love the sounds the devs chose, and some of the wildlife you encounter make the most adorable noises. *laughs* 

If all of this wasn't enough, there are also 18 Steam Achievements to be had.  Unlike the first game, these 'cheevos don't require grinding to achieve, though you WILL have to work for them.  It was my pleasure to make this my 40th perfect game, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

... OK, I might have ragequit during challenges a time or two... or maybe five, but the feeling I had when I finally completed those challenges made it worth the frustration. :p

I love the freedom you have in the game, especially as you expand your upgrades and power capability.  To jump off of a cliff and just soar to the heavens, or make yourself into a ball and plummet towards the earth, only to swoop back up and jet off to a distant isle... The controls are so intuitive and responsive that it's just a joy to play.

If you're looking for a delightful, open-world adventure with plenty of exploration, upgrades, and hidden items to find, look no further!  Grow Up will fulfill all of those desires and more.  Highly recommended!

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm