Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Youda Mystery: The Stanwick Legacy

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm

by Youda Games

Series links: Youda Mystery: The Stanwick Legacy, Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows

Available at:
    Big Fish

Uncover your grandfather’s secret in Youda Mystery: The Stanwick Legacy,
     an incredible Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game! After inheriting  
    Stanwick Manor, Emma searches the house and discovers that there is a  
    secret to reveal. Finding proof that the house isn’t as abandoned as she
     was led to believe, Emma must now solve clever puzzles and make her
    way  into locked rooms to discover the truth behind the mansion in Youda Mystery: The Stanwick Legacy!

• Search Stanwick Manor
    • Find your grandfather's secret
    • Reveal the Stanwick Legacy!

Click images to enlarge

Last edited by genkicoll on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

JustTheFacts

Re: Youda Mystery: The Stanwick Legacy

Post by JustTheFacts on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 am

Not Bad, Not Great      
    Sunny Sunny Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

This is definitely a HOG, with HOPs (Hidden Object Puzzles) outweighing any other aspect of the game. There are some other puzzles, mostly familiar, but I found myself having a fair bit of difficulty solving them. It did not help having no instructions.

The story is simple. Your grandfather dies leaving you the family mansion, which you haven’t seen in years. You know there is a secret stored within the old mansion and you are determined to find it.

The graphics are good, but not to my taste; they have that shiny quality that I think interferes with your focus. The house and the HOP scenes are all clearly presented, although there is some playing around with the lighting (which is often too dark to begin with) in the HOPs. The HOPs are static lists, and very long. There are 16 slots, but with the multiples that are always a part of the list, this can get as high as 30. Each scene is visited twice. Even on easy mode, hint and skip are slow to fill.

There is a notebook that keeps ESSENTIAL INFO about what to do, as well as a task list. There is also an interactive map that tells you where you have unfinished tasks. It is not a jump map. It is very useful, though, because it is a 4 level mansion, and a lot of rooms to cover that are connected to each other in odd ways. Getting lost is par for the course.

The voiceovers in this game deserve a special mention. They are appropriate and well acted, although I got a little tired of the chatter after a while, but then, so apparently did the developers. Because just when I was thinking “enough already”, she stopped commenting out loud about everything.

Finally, one important note, the game is not very long. Under 3 hours, and I wasn’t in any kind of a hurry.

This is an okay game, nothing brilliant, and I much prefer the second of this series “Legacy Tales: The Mercy of the Gallows”.

I Recommend This Game!

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:19 pm

I had no idea the games were related! OH!  Does the story relate to the second game in any way?

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:32 pm

They don't make it obvious, but the credits say Youda Games, same as this one!

No the second isn't really a sequel, except that our character in the second is very much like (and maybe is in some way) the character in this one.

The thing that struck me, playing it again after a year or more, was how very similar the graphics are in each. I noticed because I don't like em!

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Ahahaha Belly laugh  Well yes, that would stick out, wouldn't it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:23 pm

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm