Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Anna's Quest

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Anna's Quest Empty Anna's Quest

Post by genkicoll Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Anna's Quest
    by Daedalic Entertainment - July, 2015

Available at:
    GamersGate
    GOG
    Steam

Anna's Quest Header

About: Dragons, witches, trolls... No one can stop Anna. With her telekinesis, unorthodox use of torture instruments, a knack for improvisation and the help of a shady fox she just makes her way. She communes with the dead, shuts off the local taverns beer supply and gets old ladies behind bars... The world of author Dane Krams' debut on the game development stage isn't as cuddly as it may seem. Anna however, is actually perfectly nice - or is she? It all starts with freeing talking teddy bear... Anna's Quest unfolds a hand-drawn, grim tale with a good dash of self-irony.

• Unlimited inventory with special slot for a baby dragon
    • Small-time Vandalism
    • Discover a Unicorn's inner beauty
    • Black magic and telekinesis - this time, not exclusive to villains!
    • Executions for the whole family!
    • Light-hearted, courageous, bad-ass: Anna
    • Classic Point & Click controls with hotspot-indicator
    • Awesome ending (really!)
    • GameBoomers Walkthrough

Anna's Quest Ss_df18971f94711f7653455db2eed027b81ca3f319.600x338
    Anna's Quest Ss_4e7d8065d3c95548c45c6a2cab4cecc569d476c0.600x338
    Anna's Quest Ss_3cc7bb0ad87c0542c996803975eae6fe879ce3e7.600x338

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Anna's Quest Empty Re: Anna's Quest

Post by genkicoll Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Anna's Quest (Adventure)

Options include Subtitles, Hotspot Indicator, Achievements notice, Minigame Skip Button, and Open Inventory by Clicking, all of which are selected by default except the inventory one.  Separate sliders for Music, Voices, Effects, Cinematic Volume, and Global Volume, plus Fullscreen, Resolution from 640x480 to 1920x1080, Additional Animations, HD Cutscenes, and a slider for Brightness.  There are also six languages to choose from.

I did the game entirely as point-and-click, but there are keyboard shortcuts if you prefer.  Left-click to interact, right-click to examine, press down on scroll button (or the space bar) to indicate hotspots. Double-click on an exit to immediately leave the scene.

The game offers a tutorial, which will guide you through the basics of gameplay, including how to combine items, interact with the environment, and use your powers.  Be aware that you MUST right-click (examine) some items in order for the game to progress, so remember to look closely at your environment and inventory items!

The game never tells you that there are 12 candy pieces scattered through the game.  Nothing happens when you click on them, save that they disappear.  Finding all 12, though, will net you an achievement.  You can find the Steam Achievement Guide HERE, and it includes all of the candy locations.

Gameplay is mostly logical, though there are a few odd tasks and solutions.  Overall, I'd say that it's one of the easier point-and-clicks out there.  Anna gives you the occasional gratuitous hint, and she won't let you do anything that would be game ending (like jumping off a cliff ;p )  Do REMEMBER TO SAVE, though!  There is an auto-save function, but it's not set up by default.

I found the game to be delightful.  There are many references to fairy tales scattered throughout the game, not to mention hidden references to other Daedalic games.  The story is very dark if you stop to think about the full implications of what's going on around you, but the way it's presented takes away the horror edge completely... Well, *almost* completely. ;)  The beings we meet can be weird, amusing, colorful, wicked, mysterious, sweet, and more, making for a cast full of interesting characters.

There is a deeper message to Anna's Quest; one that is not immediately evident.  I will not ruin it for you by explaining further, but I will say that it had an unexpected impact on me.  Overall, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and recommend it to those who enjoy the genre. Okay

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 am