Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+6
JustTheFacts
luvtoread
djrum
kac
genkicoll
pippi
10 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Esme
    Esme

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by Esme Sun May 08, 2016 9:33 am

Oddly enough, I've been hungry for waffles ever since, so I guess it's not a total loss. Sorta.

I just finished the new Phantasmat: Town of Lost Sense, and the bonus chapter. The game was honestly pretty great... until the ending went all "Sixth Sense" on me. The bonus made it worse. 

It left me with questions about the movement of spirits in the temporal world. Shall we?

Things that made me go "hmmm":

Anyway, the only thing that made this whole game come "clear" for me was the bonus video at the end of all the game developers. I got quite a chuckle out of it. 

To sum up: game was good, but the ending was silly. Enjoy the game, but don't think about the logic (or lack thereof) in it. At least the laws of physics still applied and there were no waffle bullets.  Okay
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm

You know, thinking about waffle-gate, I sort of feel like I've hit a new benchmark/standard for games. "Well, it was a decent game I guess. At least there were no waffle bullets in it". 

How low can we go indeed. 

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Limbo-kitty_5
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon May 09, 2016 10:02 am

I, too,  played Phantasmat a short while ago.  I enjoyed it, but,  man,  did not see the
    ending coming.

I also will spoiler my not entirely coherent thoughts so as to not give away the strangeness
    of the ending

just because:

Thank goodness for Hollyweird.   They can actually explain things that are just
    not normal for us.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue May 10, 2016 2:48 pm

I must be a cynic because I think the whole "surprise" ending was a lazy way out of a plot black-hole. 

Overall, I did enjoy the game, but was sort of bummed by the twist. Still... it's not Twisted Lands, so I'm not complaining. 

Much.  Big smile

I hope you are getting settled and having some quality time with your sister. I just turned the heat back on... in MAY... so I think I'd enjoy some Florida warmth!  Sunny

Has anyone seen or heard from DJ or Pippi lately?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Tue May 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Playing Axiom Hotel. *snicker* This series always makes me laugh. Right now I'm investigating a serial murderer, but hey, I'm just going to fix the stove and shovel snow and rewire the generator and make some tea first. 

Meanwhile the sheriff sits on his rump (after I gave him a ride there) with the hotel owner and "questions" him as I investigate the first two floors of the hotel all by myself.

While all this is going on,  the pianist in the lobby is sitting there playing "My Darling Clementine" over and over and over and over like the floor show at a Foghorn Leghorn convention.  
    But no one feels that is abnormal and perhaps he should be questioned. 

Oh, and I had to feed the psychic's cat too. 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 200_s
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Wed May 11, 2016 5:33 am

I am playing that game also.   Wait till you get to the part where the dimbulb
    sheriff figures out  "whodunnit".   How he comes to that conclusion is beyond
    me.  He's never heard of a time line-or real investigating. Rolling Eyes
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I am speechless. 

I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy:

And I've forgotten who James is. He's from some other games in this series. Right?

The sheriff should get a gold medal in Jumping to Conclusions! 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Medals-smiley-emoticon

The best plot twist of all time would be if the sheriff was the killer.  I WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME!!!  Happy bounce Happy bounce Happy bounce
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat May 14, 2016 7:43 pm

James got a face change,  but he' s our partner who gets all the credit.
    You will probably figure out faster than me whodunit.   I got so busy
    doing stuff and wondering why my "wonderful partner" is just standing
    there that I forgot to try to figure out whodidit.   It should have been
    obvious.
    I am on the bonus part.    Some people just don't learn from history.    Just
    throw money at some run down creepy place, then cower in fear.
    But then my character wouldn't have a job, I guess.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm

I doubt I'll figure it out faster. I shut it off out of pique. I am irritated about being dragged to the basement and left there with my gauze. UGH! 

James better get on it and help me soon, the slacker. 

I'm off to bed. Maybe I will get to play tomorrow, but I'm not sure. I hope you and your family are doing well! 

Nighty-nite!  nite-nite
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun May 15, 2016 12:10 pm

luvtoread wrote:You will probably figure out faster than me whodunit.  

Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Thu May 19, 2016 2:25 pm

So silly. The game, I mean. I enjoyed it, and had it figured out without even knowing I had it figured out.
    I still have questions though. Mostly about James and time.

Didn't we first become pals in a game where is was old-timey? I seem to remember him in a frock coat and top hat. I think there was even a little picture of it on one of the newspapers in the game? But in this game it's modern with police cars and phones and electrical wiring and stuff... but that vacuum we put together... It's like Dr. Frankenstein and the Orek man had a love child. 

Sure, there are anachronisms in a lot of these games, but really? I think maybe James and I are some sort of Highlanders or Dr. Who wannabes or something. I don't really know. It was just jarring to me, though any game where I have to feed the cat makes me laugh so I guess it's all okay. I suppose. Sorta.

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 A425LJ4
    (Any time I can use a Ben and Martin shrug .gif I'm gonna. LOL)
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri May 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Okay, as one of the many services I offer, I am playing a sucky game so you don't have to. 

Demon Hunter 3 is a snooze-fest so far. It's not even bad enough to be irritating.  Sigh

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 67320573
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun May 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Yup,   we either are time travelers in that game.    But I'd rather be with Dr. Who.

I tried the Demon Hunter 3 and it just didn't grab me.   Too bad,  cause the first one
    I really enjoyed.

I am going to play demo of the new Secret Order.  I really enjoyed all the previous ones,
    so hopefully this will not disappoint.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon May 30, 2016 4:44 am

I was going to play the bonus section of Demon Snooze-Fest 3, then I thought: Why? It was a boring game, so why bother. 

And so, I didn't.

I did end up starting a game that is a little older, but still better than that one, Royal Detective: Queen of Shadows. I'm not usually into fairy-tale-ish games, but so far this one hasn't gotten on my nerves. Princess (her name, I assume) knows she's a dimwit, but tries to be helpful. The bad elf guy is pretty BA and the game itself is nicely paced and varied. 

Perhaps my standards are low because of the utter boredom of Demon Hunter 3, but I'm satisfied with it so far. I will likely change my mind a bit further in. Especially since I've already had to battle evil trees twice.
     Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 Tree%20thing%20danceDark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 TreeswingDark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 9 File.php?avatar=5484_1391194282(yes, I know the first one looks like broccoli, but it came up in a "tree" search, so I went with it. LOL)
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:52 pm

So quiet in here!  Next review will be for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which I was finally able to play~!  Woohoo! Happy bounce
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 am

Wow-we have really been neglecting this thread.   I miss everyone.  Cry
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am

I miss everyone too! Where'd everyone go? Me, I'm taking a break from the pc while I psych myself up for a gastric sleeve operation in August. And for once, my pc had the decency to remind me to check out GGG.  It's been pitifully inept lately. Yeah right
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:35 pm

I've been wondering where everyone's gone!  Everyone out havin' fun in the sun? Sunny

Me out in the sun:  sweltering

When is your surgery, Justie?
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Hey everyone. Just checking in. Haven' t seen anyone on here in a while. I'm just enjoying the summer and playing some games. 

Currently working on MT: Train to Hellswitch. MT games make me laugh. Elf is cute. Low expectations mean I am enjoying it.

Keeper of Antiques: The Revived Book- Was so irritating I didn't finish it and deleted it from my computer. 

New York Mysteries: Lantern of Souls- Actually liked it. No complaints from me. 

Demon Hunter 3: Dumb. Ick. 

Hoping you all are doing well and having a great summer (if it's summer where you live). 

Justie, I've PMed you!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:09 pm

New beta up in the thread!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Is there anything actually *good* coming out anymore?  Maybe the new Enigmatis?
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:04 am

genkicoll wrote:I've been wondering where everyone's gone!  Everyone out havin' fun in the sun? Sunny

Me out in the sun:  sweltering

When is your surgery, Justie?
    No fun in the sun for me, genki! We GOT SNOW! First time in about 50 years. Mind you, I still didn't get to see it. It was at the top of our highest generously-named "mountain", in the early hours of the morning, 30 minute drive + 1km climb - and lasted less than an hour. Belly laugh

My surgery is 18th August. Will be glad when it is over. I am not one for waiting. I lost 2 kg two weeks ago, getting in the habit of dieting, and am a week in and another 2+ kg lighter (after the first 4 days!), living on Very Low Energy Diet shakes and low-starch veges in preparation. Already, I have been taken off 2 of my 3 diabetes meds, all BEFORE the surgery! Happy bounce So, whilst I still get the odd craving, it is much easier to resist with that kind of result.

It's surprising what you do miss in such a situation actually. I crave omelettes (which I usually eat once a year or so), bananas, and tomatoes (which, luckily, I can eat). And oh how I wish I could turn these lovely salads I'm making into lovely salad sandwiches! Am blending all my favourite foods (like spaghetti bolognese) into puree, for the weeks I will spend eating only fluids. I hope they are edible, as watered down as they must be. I even resisted the urge to taste test them.  Okay

VERY surprisingly, I have almost wipe out my consumption of zero sugar cola! That is truly amazing - and without pain! Happy bounce

Hello to all!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:57 am

genkicoll wrote:Is there anything actually *good* coming out anymore?  Maybe the new Enigmatis?

The beta I just played was ridiculous. Your helper is a girl but she's a ferret too and you have to dress her up so that she can flirt with a boy ferret who is hiding a key... or some stupid thing.  Yeah right

Now I will say that Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord was awesome and I loved it.  Happy bounce
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:59 am

JTF:  I know you have had your surgery by now.   Glad things were going good for you
    before then  (loosing weight and off diabetes medicine)  How many weeks do you have
    to be on liquid diet?    I hope we see you here more often.  Missed you.

esme:   I totally agree about Vermillion Watch.  It really was very creative and I love a
    mystery from the 1800's.  All the bad and good guys from the past was fun.
    MT: Train to Hellswitch:  I enjoyed it,  especially Elf in his vacation outfit.

I am playing Bridge to Another World: Alice in Shadowland.   Its not bad;  I have a
    suspicion about where the story line is going and Alice does not know it yet,
    but I notice in these games that no matter how many "notes and clues"  are left
    lying around,  our character still does not seem to be reading them cause they ask
    dumb questions that were answered earlier.
    Oh well.

I want to get the new game  Shadowplay,  but cannot find anything else to pair
    it up with for the BOGO sale.
    The new MOTW:  Island of Forgotten Evil is not getting good reviews, which is
    sad.  I am going to play demo anyway.   Maybe I will get it anyway.  Just because
    of the sale.

Sacred Almanac: Traces of Greed,   Occultus:  Mediterranean Cabal,  Invasion 2: Doomed,
    Facility 47 and Parallels Cross  are a few SE's that are different and I am enjoying.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:38 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:
    My surgery is 18th August. Will be glad when it is over. I am not one for waiting. I lost 2 kg two weeks ago, getting in the habit of dieting, and am a week in and another 2+ kg lighter (after the first 4 days!), living on Very Low Energy Diet shakes and low-starch veges in preparation. Already, I have been taken off 2 of my 3 diabetes meds, all BEFORE the surgery! Happy bounce So, whilst I still get the odd craving, it is much easier to resist with that kind of result.

How did it go, Justie?  Feeling MUCH better now I hope?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 am