Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

luvtoread

Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by luvtoread on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Will try this again.

I played the beta and I really enjoyed it.

The mishmash of characters is enjoyable,   our wet-behind-the-ears-nephew character
    is not being welcomed-I got a kick of the snarky Lady Pembrook  (was that her name)
    and her opinion of our character

for those who have not played yet:
    you do not look like the brightest light
    in the harbor

What ending did you choose?  I picked White Rabbit.

So--are they amassing a brainless monster army?

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 pm

I think nephew dearest will eventually get his turds in a herd... so to speak. 

Um... I can't remember what ending I picked. I don't even remember the three choices. I'm an idiot.  Rolling Eyes Embarrassed

I just cannot wait for this one to come out. I just thoroughly enjoyed it!

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:38 pm

O. K. 

Like the idiot I am, I decided to give the newest Puppetshow monstrosity a try. Honestly, it hasn't been quite as bad as some of the others... until now. 

I'm in the salt mines and just...

The most stupidly dangerous thing I've ever done in a HOPA. I'm not even joking.:
    Used a flute to put a cobra to sleep and now I'm CARRYING AROUND A SLEEPING F@#%&^#$ COBRA!!!!!!!

You know. Like you do. 

Hmm...

I am utterly dumbfounded. Seriously. I just wrote on their Facebook page I'm so irritated by this. I just can't even.

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:26 pm

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:35 pm

I'm doubly pissed off too because you then have to take the item from your pocket (I assume) and use it to "scare off" a mouse. Because stomping my foot wouldn't do the same thing. Though I think my deadly little pocket pal probably ate the mouse off screen... which makes me even more pissed off.  dirtywords Tantrum rollingpin

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I know I played that game awhile back;  I do not remember that part,  but your reaction
    to it is   Belly laugh

The dumb things we do in these games.  You know the devs gleefully think these absurd
    things up.    Probably brightens their day.  Hmm... Evil Grin Belly laugh

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:26 pm

I just think the devs at ERS are deranged and cruel... I just had to feed a mouse to a cat in a HO scene. WTF??? Why is this okay?  

Oh, and Happy Easter everyone! 

And because I've gotta be me..... 

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Aww, the cute widdle bunny wabbits

Esme

Post by Esme on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:59 pm

That rabbit's a killer!  Belly laugh

Ohhhhkay...

I'm playing Whispered Secrets: Everburning Candle (BTW what kind of stupid name is that? Everburning Candle? Not Frozen Nightmares or Dark Memories or, I dunno, Haunted Underpants? Everburning Candle? Sounds like something you can get on EZ Pay on QVC... but I digress.) 

Here is another one of my pet peeves in games: That whole "screw you, science!" attitude some games have. You cannot use bellows to fill up a balloon and have it float away. You need something lighter than air to do that... presumably some of the plot would work. Ugh.  Rolling Eyes

Hope everyone is doing well. I think I drove everyone off with my griping and ranting and so forth. Sorry about that folks.  sorry

Esme

Post by Esme on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:10 pm

BTW, I just got the new Phantasmat I was so geeked about... and used yesterday's code "gameclub" and got it for $6.99. It still worked. Just FYI.  Okay

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:00 pm

Esme wrote:
    Here is another one of my pet peeves in games: That whole "screw you, science!"

I HAAATE that!! Meh  It's my #1 pet peeve when playing games.  Anachronisms can be jarring, but those I can deal with (as long as we're not talking about a cell phone in Camelot or something.)  "Screw you, science," though?  No WAY!

A snippet from January, 2012:

So, I finally got around to playing Nightmare on the Pacific yesterday. Whilst there are no ghosts, creepy crawlies or macabre of any kind, I would still deem this a D&E game for the horrifying reality of the situation you find yourself in.

And yet, it's the reality of the game that threw me off. If you're going to give us a horrifying real-life story, make it friggin' realistic! Because I was focused on the reality, physics and logic kept butting in to make me say, "What the hell?!"

Let's see, that wall looks a little flimsy... Why don't I just push this propane tank against the wall, then shoot it with a flare gun!  We're at the bottom of an elevator shaft when freezing cold ocean water starts pouring in from several stories up?  No worries, we'll just float to the top and be able to get out!  Oh please!  Don't insult my intelligence! Gah!

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:13 pm

This is why I come here-for a really good laugh.   I need it.  Big smile

I am playing Fear for Sale: The House on Black River.    I cannot find the last stupid
    "ghost"  through the lens.   I hate doing those "find the whatever with the lens/amulet/
    other roundie thing we want to torture you with".   pfft

I am beginning to wonder if its there or if it is a glitch-cause the tech problem thread
    it 8 pages long.    OH!

I finally just "gave up the ghost"  and came onto this site.  Maybe the ghost will be there
    later.

Esme

Post by Esme on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm

See, you need Doubting Daddy Dearest from the one I'm play now... Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart. See, DDD is a skeptic who is there to prove that ghosts don't exist. Even though one clearly just snatched up his journalist/photographer tag-along buddy. But whatevs! I, daughter Margie, am going to have to save all their stupid behinds because... I dunno. Every twenty seconds or so DDD says "Margie do this" or "Margie do that"... I'm about to turn around and leave him to the ghosts. He just stands there looking at torn paintings or waiting for me to charge his ghost detector or whatever lame thing he can't seem to handle on his own. "Margie, someone should call the police!" as he stands there like the giant, petrified turd he is. 

Ugh.

So, no... I'm not loving this game at the  moment. I shut it down so it could think about what it's done and be remorseful.  Yeah right Rolling Eyes Belly laugh

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 am

Estate of the Heart-- Hmm...  Is that another way of saying "Home is where the heart is"?
    Is that is why its a Tale of Terror??

I feel your pain.

Oh regarding  Nightmare on the Pacific 

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm

luvtoread wrote:Estate of the Heart-- Hmm...  Is that another way of saying "Home is where the heart is"?
    Is that is why its a Tale of Terror??
    It's even more lame than that.. it's the family's last name.  D\\'oh!

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Who doesn't have The Walking Dead (Telltale) yet? OH!  This is an INCREDIBLE deal:

https://www.humblebundle.com/telltale-bundle

Tales from the Borderlands was SUPER-fun, too!

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Hey everyone! I just put a link in the Beta Thread for this one: Maze- The Broken Tower.

It's by Mad Head and it is AWESOME! Creepy but not gory. Interesting story for once. Fun puzzles and really creepy (IMO) audio. I loved it!

Esme

Post by Esme on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:53 am

Playing the remarkably stupid Tales of Terror: Estate of the Heart bonus section.

I'm sorry, but I'm not even going to spoiler tag this. 

I just made a bullet with a waffle iron.  

You have been warned.

jboliver1999

Post by jboliver1999 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:45 am

Belly laugh
    I know I mostly lurk around here, but you always make me laugh Esme.

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:39 am

LOL Don't feel like you have to lurk, jboliver! I often feel like I'm talking to myself, which I probably am, but still.  Embarrassed

Glad I could make you laugh!

Seriously though, even the character comments that it's stupid. She says something like, "Oh, a bullet shaped waffle iron? Now I've seen everything" or something along those lines. That's just pure laziness, devs! LAZY!

And now I know not to bother with a sequel if one gets made.  Belly laugh

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:52 am

So,  did you put pure maple syrup on it?   Only the real stuff will do!! 

So,  I have made the move from upstate NY to sunny Florida.    Not sure if it will
    stick with me,  cause I really love the mountains,  but for now I am spending some much
    needed time with my sister and brother in law.
    We had talked about this off and on,  I wasen't sure this is where I really wanted to live,
    but my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer,  so for the present it is home.

Right now,  I am going to check out Maze beta!

Esme

Post by Esme on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I didn't know you were moving. I certainly hope everything works out well for all of you. 

No maple syrup on it. I shot it from a gun. I've heard of wiffle bats, but never waffle guns. 

Anyhoo... I enjoyed Maze a lot. Hopefully you will too. I got a new beta today too... Some Poe/Dark Tales thing.  It's also in the beta thread. I'm not expecting much from it to be honest.

Last edited by Esme on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Update on the Poe/Dark Tales/Metzengerstein mess. 

Oy!

First of all, a disclaimer; I sorta hate ERS. I utterly hate the hot mess they've made out of Poe's Dupin character. I have ranted about it dozens of times.

That being said, this is still a dumb game. Stupid. Been there, done that. 
    Evil Grin Let's see what it has to offer: 

• Excessive raven cawing and generally being a nuisance? Check. 
    • Stupidly creepy scarecrow? Check. 
    • Rain, rain, rain? Check. 
    • Mysterious fog? Indeed! It's purple. We photograph it. I have no idea why.
    • Stupid family with a stupid curse? Check. 
    • A brilliant detective (who couldn't find his ass with both hands and a map) who needs my help? Check! 
    • Lots of standing around while my character does things? OH MY YES! DOUBLE CHECK! 
    • Creepy guy in a mask and cape doing shady stuff? Need you even ask?
    • Angsty daughter who disappears mysteriously? But of course!
    • Stupid things to do while a fire rages in the background, but it conveniently waits for me to find the parts and assemble a bucket so I can open the well and get the water to put out the fire while everyone is just piddling around inside the burning building? *glassy stare*

Oh yes, ERS... you got me again. I hate you.  Yeah right

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sat May 07, 2016 7:14 am

esme:   Once again,  you have started my morning off with a smile.  Big smile
    Rain,  rain, rain is what they are getting in Upstate NY.   Flat Florida is not
    my total cup of tea,  but I have quickly adjusted to the sunshine.   Sunny
    I also admit to liking Dupin.   So for him I might just ignore the obviously
    dumb things.   Ah, what we do for our Wub

I just attempted to finish the Grim Tales: Crimson Hollow beta.  I just got so stuck,
    I could not figure out how to proceed.  Hint system,  which I do not like using, was
    of no help at all.

I did let them know about the no-help Hint and about the in-your-face notebook
    that tells you every little thing you have to do,   which is fine if you suffer from
    extreme short term memory.

I also added a commentary about what I thought about the various family members.
    Ditsy and Dumb (Jame's Sister and BIL)  Icky Close ("Flowers in the Attic"  brother
    and Sister James and Elizabeth;   mysterious Mayor/Uncle).  I admitted that this
    family is never boring.
    Oh,  just in case anyone reading this has not played the last Grim Tales game
    (I really recommend it,  especially the CE-on sale of course)   something Jane
    says in this beta made me   Huh? 

hate spoiling it for others:
    Even though her father is an evil murderer she
    thinks Daddy-dear is not so bad cause he made her young again!!??

So,  the Tales continue.  I have to admit I will buy.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat May 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Boy am *I* out of the loop where our casual games are concerned!  I was just updating the Big Fish 2016 Releases list, and only now realized that BF stopped releasing separate strategy guides for the SE games at the end of March! :o  Sheesh!

Esme, as for your non-spoiler spoiler, Oh. My. Gosh. Yeah right  The only thing you're going to make with a bullet-shaped waffle iron is a bullet shaped waffle! *throws hands in the air in exasperation*  How stupid do these devs think we are? rollingpin  I think this is why I've gotten away from casual games a bit -- So much repetition, stupid tasks, and interruption to the flow of stories that generally aren't that great, anyway. *sigh*  Wish they'd hurry up and release True Fear 2 (although I was disappointed at how the super-creepy vibe kind of tapered off as you played.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:46 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 am