Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman Empty Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Campfire Legends: The Hookman
    by Absolutist/GameHouse - 2009

Series links: Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman, Campfire Legends 2: The Babysitter, Campfire Legends 3: The Last Act

Available at:
    GameHouse (also available in a Double-pack)

Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman 30342205-30342213-300x150

We've all heard the tale of the Hookman, but that's just an urban legend, right? ...Isn't it? Now hear the story behind one of the scariest tales ever in Campfire Legends The Hookman, a hidden object adventure of darkness, shadows and frights!

On  a night as black as ink, Christine's plans for a romantic getaway go horribly awry. It starts with a ransacked mountain cabin and mysterious  clues, and ends in a place far, far worse that she can possibly imagine.  

Walk in Christine's footsteps and experience the fright of this fateful night before your very eyes! Only with nerves of steel and a clear mind can you find life-saving objects and solve challenging  puzzles.

Can you escape The Hookman and make it out alive?

• Prepare yourself for bone-chilling surprises
    • Experience this spooky urban legend as never before
    • Walk darkened trails and search through spine-tingling locations
    • Keep an eye out for life-saving objects and creepy shadows
    • Do not dare to play this game alone!
    • Walkthrough (Gamezebo)

Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman 1
    Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman 4
    Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman 6

Last edited by genkicoll on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman Empty Re: Campfire Legends 1: The Hookman

Post by genkicoll Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Campfire Legends: The Hookman (IHOG)

Options include separate sliders for Music and Sound, plus full-screen and Help (tips).  On my widescreen there are huge black bars on both sides, but none on the top and bottom, at least.

Our interface is different than I'm using to seeing in this kind of game.  The task bar at the bottom of the screen shows us which items we need to find, and our actual inventory is kept on the left side of the screen -- you can click on the Items button to access, but it will automatically open on scenes that you will need an inventory item on.

You have to earn your HINTS by finding bugs (aka fireflies) on the scenes.  You can only have five hints at any one time, so wait to pick up bugs 'til you need 'em!  They will appear on scenes you've been on before, so keep an eye out~   Sherlock  When you use a hint, you will see a message on the screen, and possibly a directional arrow (if whatever-it-is is not at your current location.)  There is a rapid-misclick penalty, but it is not all that invasive.  You can also use the bugs to get tiered hints to help you solve puzzles.  No bugs, no help!

Some scenes are wider than can fit on one screen, and in these cases, you can click an arrow on the side of the screen, which will then scroll over to let you see the rest of the room.  Items you need to find can be strewn across multiple locations; sometimes in plain sight, sometimes on zoom-in scenes.  You never know where something will be, and it really amps up the difficulty level... especially when you consider that you have a limited amount of hints at any one time!  Those pesky bugs do respawn, but you have to find them before you can use them! Laugh

The plot is refreshingly different.  For once we're not rescuing a clueless husband or boyfriend, and it's not just the same old hookman story of urban legend.  It took us places I never expected!

Although it seemed short, it probably wasn't -- I've been playing mostly adventure games lately, and they're significantly longer than casual games!

The game mechanics are so very different than the casual games we see every day that it didn't really feel like an IHOG... but I can't term it an adventure, either!  We spend a lot of time retracing our steps (in small areas) thinking, "I know a saw a x-item here somewhere, but where was it??"  Usually this kind of thing is really frustrating, like in Silent Scream: The Dancer when we saw that hammer in the attic, but couldn't pick it up.  We knew we'd need it, but couldn't take it!  In this game however, it just added to the reality of the situation, possibly because there are no hidden object scenes like we're used to seeing.  Coupled with the sinister plot, it added to the tension;  Hurry, hurry, we have to hurry! EEK!

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this game was much more than I had expected it to be, and more than anything, surprised at how very different it is from the usual IHOG fare Okay
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:01 am

Thank you Genki for the great review.  Does this play in (oh geez, I forget the name of it).... where it's windowed or not windowed?  I had purchased it long ago from iwin and d/l it but it was only in the small window mode.  Meaning, you couldn't make it fill the screen or most of the screen.  So, I never played it.  (forgive my blonde moments here, It takes me quite awhile to wake up in the morning LOL)
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 am

For me it automatically fit the screen in height, but there were black bars on the sides of the screen (left and right.)  When I altered the full-screen option, it became a small window like you described.
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:14 pm

OK thank you !!!!  LOL so sorry for my total lack of words for describing a windowed vs non windowed game.  OK the copy I have you only get a small window.  There's no choice to make it bigger.  The game looks great and I think there are 2 others.  I may have to repurchase from elsewhere and get a copy of the game I can actually see.   Shock
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:09 pm

I got the first two in a bundle from GameHouse HERE.

But before you do that, try entering the game, then holding down the Alt key and hitting Enter.  This will sometimes toggle you between windowed and non-windowed modes.
    tesamoine
    tesamoine

Post by tesamoine Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks Smile  I tried that with no results.  I did get them quite awhile ago from iwin.  I will have to repurchase, as iwin's policy, I believe, is 14 days from date of purchase which is funny because sometimes I don't play a game for months and months.  I just don't understand why I didn't demo the game, because I always did.  Unless I did and I was having a severe blonde day and figured it was something I could fix later on.    Gah!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am