Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Empty Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom

Post by genkicoll Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom
    by Boomzap Entertainment - August, 2011

Series links: Awakening 1: The Dreamless Castle, Awakening 2: Moonfell Wood, Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom, Awakening 4: The Skyward Castle, Awakening 5: The Sunhook Spire, Awakening Kingdoms "Free-to-Play", Awakening 6: The Redleaf Forest, Awakening 7: The Golden Age

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition
    iWin for PC as Standard Edition
    Steam as Collector's Edition

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Awakening-goblin-kingdom-collectors-edition_feature

After overcoming the Dreamless Castle and Moonfell Wood, you  have come to the rugged, mountainous snow-peaked Goblin Kingdom.  Princess Sophia, the only human seen in over a century in this part of  the world, seeks answers from its wise King about the fate of the rest  of her people. But dark portents await: things are not well in the  Kingdom, and dark shadows lurk waiting to trap the unwitting Princess in Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Bonus gameplay
    • Integrated Strategy Guide
    • Wonderful Wallpapers

For the Standard Edition:

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Screen1
    Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Screen2
    Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Screen3

Last edited by genkicoll on Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom Empty Re: Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Little Sophia Grows Up

Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny Sunny 

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Playing The Awakening series back to back, you notice something not otherwise immediately obvious: that with The Goblin Kingdom, the series suddenly became more sophisticated on several levels simultaneously. 

The always beautiful art suddenly becomes stunning, with better definition and animation, and more “liveliness”. I noticed too that some of the close up scenes resemble concept art in their broad-strokes style. Interesting.

With this new art comes a graver, darker story, with an actual bad guy, and the introduction of politics. Less cozy fairy tale atmosphere and just a sprinkle of the Brothers Grimm. To the betterment of the story, I point out, as it has lost a little of its schmalz, and adults can now play it without excuses. J

Finally, the game play is dramatically more difficult. I skipped more than half the puzzles – but maybe I was just tired. Tangrams are tougher than Solitaire and Mahjong as well.

I recommend this game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom (IHOG)

In this third installment of the Awakening series, Princess Sophia journeys to the Goblin Kingdom to meet their wise king.  An evil force watches her every move, however, and Sophia faces dangerous trials as she tries to learn the answer to the burning question: Where have all the humans gone?

Options include Full-screen, Custom Cursor, choice of Normal or Casual Mode, and separate sliders for Sound and Music.  Dutch language also available.

Although there is a running storyline through these games, the intro gives you a brief synopsis of the previous games, meaning that you don't have to have played Dreamless Castle or Moonfell Wood in order to understand the story.  Having played the three back-to-back, it's easy to see the changes that were made to make each game better than the last.

Gameplay:

The Goblin Kingdom beautifully combines adventure, hidden objects, puzzle and story into an experience that feels perfectly-balanced.  The game is split into four chapters, each with its own distinctive environment, but still maintaining the feeling of everything being connected.  There is no MAP, but we have a limited number of scenes that we work with at any given time, so the to-ing and fro-ing is kept to a minimum.

In addition to the standard find-by-list Hidden Object Scenes, we also have a few other types of HOS:  Find by silhouette, put items back into the scene and find x-number of an item (ie. 12 gears).  HOS are lightly-interactive, with yellow items requiring some kind of action before you can find them.

HINTS are refillable, and while there is still no directional hint during the adventure portion, the hints we DO get are more useful than those in the two previous installments.

There are at least 40 Mini-games, and while they all look different, there are some repeating themes, including: identifying differences (not your typical spot-the-differences scenes, though!), solving riddles, tangrams, putting things back together, logic, a couple of different kinds of match-3, deciphering patterns, etc.  (No Simon Says this time!)  There are a few timing-based puzzles, but they're easy-peasy, and all mini-games are SKIPPABLE.

Our Journal documents our journey and will make note of anything unusual (puzzle hints/solutions), and while the Goals tab can contain a bit more story, it also has what I feel are mild spoilers, so I recommend staying away from that part unless you need some help.

Bonus Content:

• 30 in-game Achievements
    • Integrated Strategy Guide (accessible via the Menu button)
    • Bonus Chapter
    • 9 Rewatchable Cutscenes
    • 6 Music tracks (cannot be saved)
    • 6 Wallpapers (mostly from cutscenes)
    • 3 Morphing Concept art (hover mouse over concept to see finished product)
    • Tangram Mini-game

Bonus Chapter:

Immediately upon finishing the game, you will enter the Epilogue (bonus chapter). This seems like the true ending, so I'm glad to have the CE of this one.  Gameplay is just the same as in the main storyline, and doesn't feel at all like it was just tacked on.

Verdict:

This game polishes the best parts of the franchise and combines it into a perfectly-balanced addition to the series.  Despite the fact that we saw the beginnings of actual danger for our heroine, I found Awakening 3: The Goblin Kingdom to be bright and cheery and absolutely delightful.  Recommended! Okay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 am