Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+5
kac
RenaissanceMom
katy12250
pippi
genkicoll
9 posters

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through

genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through Empty The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through

Post by genkicoll Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:37 pm

We will be starting a group play-through of The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav <--(game thread) on March 9th.

Anyone is welcome to join in at any time Big smile

Here's how it works:

The people who are participating come to this thread to discuss the game.  Anything about the game:  The graphics, sounds, story, impressions, and cries for help.  The only thing you need to remember is that we don't want to ruin any surprises or storyline specifics for those who haven't played yet, so please hide this kind of information!

There are two ways to do this:

Use spoiler tags, which look like this [ spoiler]Type your spoiler here.[ /spoiler] (without the spaces inside the brackets.  When you do it right, it will look like this once you submit your post:
    Spoiler:

You can click on the Preview button (to the left of the Send button) if you want to be sure you've done it right before submitting.

Change the color of your text.  To do so, highlight the text whose color you want to change, click on the button at the top of the reply box that looks like nine little colored squares, and choose the color you want.  Once you post, the background will be a light blue color, so keep that in mind ;)

The goal is to have fun playing this together, whilst still having the information in the thread be helpful for anyone who comes along later -- even if it's a year from now!

If you need help, try asking in the thread (don't forget your spoiler tags!) before resorting to the Walkthrough.  I much prefer getting hints to actually being told exactly what to do, and that's the beauty of a group play Sunny

We'll be playing the game's sequel, Memoria, in April, 2015 HERE.

PLEASE SEE THIS POST for information on controls and gameplay options.

Last edited by genkicoll on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:24 am; edited 4 times in total
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through Empty Re: The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through

Post by genkicoll Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Controls and gameplay options:

MaGtRo's walkthrough shows a bunch of F-key shortcuts, but they didn't work with my game, so I'll explain how to do things below.

First off, left-clicking (as we usually do) is how we interact with someone/something.  Right-clicking is how you look at or examine things.

Pull your cursor down to the bottom of the screen to find your inventory / task bar.  At the right of your inventory bar are three icons:

• A gear, which will take you to the main menu (or use the Esc key)
    • Your diary, which tracks your tasks (I didn't use it at all)
    • A magnifying glass, which will show you all of the hotspots and possible exits (or hold down the space bar)

At the left of your task bar are two more icons:

• A yellow jar, which allows you to break fragile items
    • A blue item that kind of looks like a tornado The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through 3286387481  This one allows you to fix things.

To save your game, hit the gear icon or the Esc button, then click on Savegames.  There are plenty of save spots here.  Just click on one of the boxes, then click on the Save button.  This screen is also where you load your games from.

Double-click somewhere to have Geron run, or double-click on an exit to leave the scene immediately.
    pippi
    pippi

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through Empty Re: The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through

Post by pippi Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Hey everybody!  I'm really excited about the play throughs!  This will be my first time with Chains of Satinav and Memoria.  If you don't hear from me next week, it isn't because I'm disappearing ... it's because I'm attempting two weeks of work so I can have a "spring break" starting the 9th. 

Here's hoping!
    katy12250

Post by katy12250 Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm going to give this a try. I'm generally terrible with adventure games - I want to do things my way! - and don't get very far. Since I have both this game and Memoria, maybe I'll at least get started on them!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 am

Hi everyone, it's been months since I've touched any game Cry so I'm definitely in and looking forward to joining you!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:59 pm

I have downloaded the game from my GOG library!  I'm ready!  Okay
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:17 pm

I have begun.  Starting on the challenging level and finding it to be ... challengingLaugh 

I think the voice acting is well done so far!

Anybody else playing?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm

I just got home from work, so I'll be starting soon~!  Remember that I played this last year, so I might be able to help, even if I'm behind you ^__^
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Bleh.  I'd forgotten how much I hate the beginning of this game >_<

I got completely stuck when
    Spoiler:
    because I didn't realize that I wasn't seeing all of my inventory. Laugh  I tried everything possible before I thought to click on that silly arrow in my inventory Silly face

EDIT:  And another thing... You have to right-click to examine things. *siiigh* haha
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:39 pm

You're farther than I am ... I can't

Huh?:

Perhaps I just need a good night's sleep.  Yeah, right. Laugh

So far I can't decide if I like the protagonist or not.  I want to like him as he obviously is an underdog.  But he's also kind of whiny and petulant, which really gets on my nerves.  My internal jury is definitely still out to lunch on this one.

EDIT:  Yes, sleep was very good for seeing what I missed above.  Now,

Missing More of the Obvious?:

This is proving to me that my adventure gaming skills are rusty after a diet of too many HOPAs and console RPGs!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:24 am

Hint regarding the leaves::
    kac

Post by kac Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

I hope to start tonight. 

I saw Memoria is on sale for $3.99 today at Steam.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Well, after some thoughtful consideration aimless clicking Elk grin I solved my HUH? above.

Now, I've
    Gotten This Far:

I am beginning to like Geron better as the game progresses.

Justie, are you playing?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

I've just gotten to a puzzle in a cave.  Too tired to try and figure it out tonight (and I'm not sure anyone else is that far yet, anyway Silly face  , so I'll come back to it tomorrow~
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:20 pm

pippi wrote:Now, I've
    Gotten This Far:
    I love the artwork on that scene.  Speaking of which, I think I'll change the banner again~! Elk grin
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 pm

YAY!  The banner is fabulous!  Sunny
    madth3
    madth3

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav Group Play-through Empty Catching up

Post by madth3 Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I started yesterday but I did not get very far. I'm now just past the scene referred in recent messages.

I have to say this is a game a tad darker than I expected but I enjoy the cutscenes and the story so far.
    I struggled a bit on the beggining with all those things in the inventory even if I'm playing in the easier setting. Later scenes have been easier.

I'll be checking up here later. See you!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:59 am

Madth3 - Yes, it is a bit darker and a whole lot more challenging than I expected.  I'm considering switching to playing on the easy level.  Glad you're here!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:27 am

Hi, Madth3!  Nice to see you've joined in! Happy bounce  There are hints on gameplay in the second post of this thread, and don't forget that holding down the space bar will show you the hotspots on the scene.

I really did hate the beginning of the game; so upsetting! I'd have never played it if I hadn't already owned it, but I'm really glad I gave it a chance.  Geron does get more likeable as the game progresses.  I think that his voice and the way he's drawn contribute to his unlikeability, but he really does have a good heart, and it becomes quickly apparent.
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Just in case I'm not the only one (or if it only works when playing on easy level) the spacebar does nothing for me.  OK, off to see how far I can progress before I come limping back to ask Genki for hints today.  Big smile
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Well, I didn't make it for the 9th, but I'm here, have left the dragons with a reliable sitter, and am going to give this everything I've got. (However much that may be). No question here, strictly easy level for me, it's about 10 years since I played a PC adventure game!  OH!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 am

Oh no! you are all so far ahead of me and I don't have a clue! Find this, catch that - I haven't done anything except cheat at lots and change the fiddler's song! Oh, and stole some item of clothing that looks like it might be for a guard or something!

(And it took me 5 attempts to get the damn game activated)  Embarrassed
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Justie, don't forget that you need to right-click on items to examine them!
    madth3
    madth3

Post by madth3 Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 pm

pippi: You should be able to activate the space bar from the Settings menu. The option is called "Hotspot Locator" or something similar.

I managed to advance a couple of scenes since last time. It's tricky that I did not get to use/interact with all the elements that can be looked at.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm

The hotspot indicator (space bar) doesn't work unless you're playing on casual mode -- Pippi's been playing on experienced mode Big smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm