Let me also be straight up with you all. I do NOT like your generic hot artichoke and spinach dip. I find it oily and heavy. And I don't really like artichokes.
As always, I cannot follow a recipe as written to save my life. Here's the original:
Spinach Feta and Artichoke Dip
Here's the ingredient list. My tweaks are in red, as per usual!
- 6 ounce can of artichoke hearts in water, drained, thinly sliced and patted dry (my can was 14 oz. and so I used it all because I'm not going to store or waste 8 oz of artichoke hearts at $3.39 a can. I chopped it really finely since I don't like the fibrous texture of artichokes)
- 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed, chopped and wrung dry in a clean kitchen towel (12 oz. since I'm not going to waste or store 2 oz. frozen spinach)
- cup finely grated fresh Parmesan ( guess it was about this amount. I just dumped in some Parm)
- cup mayonnaise (I upped it to about a cup since I had more artichokes and spinach)
- cup sour cream (I upped it to about a cup since I had more artichokes and spinach. I also used light. )
- 1/2cup lightly toasted pine nuts (mine were a little extra toasty... don't judge me, okay?)
- 1/2cup crumbled feta cheese (I probably had closer to 3/4 cup since I had more of everything else)
- Zest of 1 lemon (about a teaspoon since hubs hates lemon... so frustrating!)
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (less... I mean really. How do you NOT like lemon? Ugh!)
- 1garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- Place your oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 425 .
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the artichoke hearts, spinach, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest and juice, the pine nuts, black pepper, salt, and 1/2 cup of the parmigiano cheese.
- Rub the inside of a small baking dish with the crushed garlic, then discard the clove. ( I spritzed my baking dish with olive oil so it wouldn't get too sticky. ) Pour the mixture into the dish and spread top an even thickness, sprinkle the top with the remained 1/4 cup of parmigiano and the crumbled feta.
- Bake until the top browns and the dip heats through, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with pita chips, or the crackers of your choice.
This dip is good. I mean really good! The addition of the Feta and pine nuts... as well as the little bit of lemon makes this sublime! Hot, bubbly, cheesy, and slightly salty... with veggies and nuts? YUMMY!