Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+10
ddr_cyclone102
sunshinej
BloomingLilac
tesamoine
jboliver1999
RenaissanceMom
pippi
genkicoll
djrum
Frodo
14 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by luvtoread Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:15 pm

hi   dj--hope you find something good to buy.    I did the beta for the Grim Clueless Clan
    and I could not finish it.    I mean-they are dead,  so how can you go back 20 years
    to change the outcome  ( I believe that was the premise of the game?)
    At least in the previous ones we could get amusement out of it.  This one was just
    boring and ridiculous.

esme--I played the demo of the Ice Castle Princess Who Needs a Stranger  (me) to
    save her.    I wondered the same thing about getting beer for the drunk guy,
    and finding that rare flower that will blossom just for me and enticing a bird with
    raw meat miles away.    I wish the real Legolas would partner up with me.   Except he would
    probably not put up with all the nonsense things "I" do in the game.  So Jr and Mini
    will probably be poor substitutes.   Snicker

I bought an older game from a DD--Azada:  Elementa.   I actually am enjoying it.
    There is a only-in-a-game situation I have come across.   Bad guy did damage to
    the chair lift so I have to fix it.   Yet,  bad guy still got over to the other side of
    canyon.    After damaging it.   Either this is a case for Sherlock Holmes or he has
    capabilities of Voldemort.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:49 pm

luvtoread wrote:
    esme--I played the demo of the Ice Castle Princess Who Needs a Stranger  (me) to
    save her.    I wondered the same thing about getting beer for the drunk guy,
    and finding that rare flower that will blossom just for me and enticing a bird with
    raw meat miles away.    I wish the real Legolas would partner up with me.   Except he would
    probably not put up with all the nonsense things "I" do in the game.  So Jr and Mini
    will probably be poor substitutes.   Snicker
    I thought the same thing about the raw meat and the bird!  Belly laugh

Of the two, though Legolas is the "dreamy" one, I'd rather team up with Thranduil... he's got sass and enough hair products for the both of us! 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Latest?cb=20140713212602
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Had an absolute blast thriftin' today! Funny thing...I mostly buy books!!! Laugh Heck, for a quarter, you can't beat that price!
    I've got books everywhere. I've been reading quite a few books by Harlan Coben. I love the way he keeps me in suspense throughout the whole story and in the end, events always tie up nicely...unlike some games I've recently played. Huh?

I'm recording the TV show "Aquarius" right now. I don't know what it is about David Duchovny, but I adore him (since the X Files) and I like the show, too! Great soundtrack!

Oh, under the "Learn Something New Everyday" heading...pepperoni is made with goat meat. I did not know that and yuck. No wonder I like cheese pizza the best. Big smile
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Pepperoni is usually made from beef and pork, DJ. I don't know what pepperoni you're getting, but it sounds funky!
    Shock

I've been reading too. I am loving the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie King. SO much fun! And since I'm a mystery novel addict, it keeps my cravings satisfied!
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 ReadingDark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Reading%20book
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:46 am

My sister works in the kitchen at the local grade school. I guess they had to serve a few cheese only pizzas because some foreign students not able to eat pepperoni on account of they are not allowed to eat goat meat. I forget what country they are from.
    Me, I prefer a veggie pizza with lots of veggies and not a lot of sauce.

And has anyone noticed all the F2P games not getting updates anymore?
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 am

I also really enjoy those Laurie King Books.    esme-you might also like Anna Lee Huber's
    Lady Darby mystery's.    The Anatomists Wife is the first one.
    I love historical mysteries,  Anne Perry being my favorite,   Victoria Thompson is another.

I have never heard of pepperoni made of goat cheese.  When I was in Florida last winter,
    I had pizza with goat cheese.  It was actually pretty good.
    When I go to thrift stores,   I will find books way faster and easier than clothes!
    I wish nice stylish clothes that look good on me would just appear in my closet.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Heard back from Big Fish re: Windows 10. If you keep in mind that I have a younger computer than most of you, looks like putting Windows 10 off for a while is the most sensible response. I am glad I checked.

Thank you for providing the Dr. Felix results! After checking Dell's website for your specific computer model (Inspiron 620), it states that the computer hasn't been tested for Windows 10 yet. There were only drivers available Windows 7.

This doesn't mean the computer won't ever work on Windows 10 though, as computer manufacturers are still working on providing Windows 10 drivers for their products.

For the time being it may be safer to stay on Windows 7. I provided a link to Dell's help article regarding Windows 10 below:

Upgrade to Windows 10
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info, Justie. Big smile

In my humble opinion, it's better for me to stick with what I got rather than messing with things I know nothing about.

No offense, Microsoft, but I do wish you'd quit changing OS all the damn time. How in the world do you expect everybody to keep up? I'm always at least 2 years behind on your newest, better-than-ever OS. It's not like I'm made of money, you know.
    I still hear people say the best OS ever was Windows XP and most of those people are computer techs.

Okay, I'm done ranting! Smile

Well, maybe I'm not done ranting yet. I hate clothes shopping. I find the clothes around here are made for, ahem, older ladies or younger girls. There's no middle ground for women like me.
    I don't like my blue jeans riding low on my hips. I feel like they're gonna fall down & I'm constantly pulling them up. But I don't want "Mom" jeans, either. Lol!!
    I'm not a fan of shirts with plunging necklines. My friends say, "Layer it with a spaghetti-strap top." It doesn't look right on me and I guess I'm not color-coordinated enough to match everything up.

I like shopping for socks. They're so colorful and you can get knee-hi, ankle, anklets, crew...all different kinds and very inexpensive! Laugh
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Well,   I am writing this from my brand new laptop. 

Here is my story.   My other laptop became verrrrryyyyyyy  ssslllllooooooowwww.
    Then,  it kept coming up  "Server not found".      I still had full internet,   so I did everything
    my limited technical brain could think of.     Nothing worked.
    The final blow was I could not download any games.   Gah!

Ok---fixing this post----again!!!!

To make sense of this post,  I will explain what I did to lead up to Aaron.

I trotted over to Radio Shack to check out laptops.    While there,  I told the saleswoman
    about my laptop's  seemingly slow death.
    She recommended I come back to see Aaron,  who thrives on all things technical and fixing them.
    So,  like a good (and desperate) girl,   I go back the next day and tell him my tale of woe.
    He could not get connection in the store,  but was able to determine my laptop needed some
    maintenence  (no surprise there as I am the only one who ever maintained it.   HA!)

I asked him about this one,   he answered all my questions and said this was good
    especially for the price  (it was on sale).    He even knew the game site Steam.
    He gets his games from there.
    So,   I bought it.
    I came home,  got it connected to the net,   dl'd  Firefox  (I hate IE),  then proceeded
    to have problems.
    Yup  "Server not found"    Tantrum

I called Aaaron,   who said he suspected it was my internet  server.  Even though
    it showed I had full service,   something was wrong.
    I called Time Warner and the tech guy was very helpful.  Turns out the wireless router
    is defective.
    So for now I have it plugged into the land line-which thankfully is a very long cord!
    My daughter just came over  (she moved out a month ago and this was her router)
    and said she wasen't surprised,  this router is about 5 years old.   Old Days

So,   my first laptop is getting a maintenance done  (I called and told him he was right,
    he said good and he would clean my old one up)
    and I am adjusting to this one.
    My credit card is getting used.     EEK!

So,   hopefully I will get used to this,   I have to say I am liking it so far.

Its my new toy.

Last edited by luvtoread on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I can delete, mess up, a post on my new toy and not know it till I post something that only makes half sense.)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Sounds like a relatively easy migration!  Laugh You don't even sound like you've been having nightmares.  Two thumbs up

Hope you continue to enjoy the new toy. I love getting new pc's (and Windows versions - I know, I'm in a crowd of one on that). I love finding all the new ways I can stuff up.  Belly laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:44 am

M'kay. I just finished the main game of HH: Phoenix and I have some thoughts. Far be it from me to sound incredulous, but...

Not a rant. Nope. I would NEVER do that!:

Yup. Beavers. 
    Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Beaverhug

(I did like the game though. It was fun and had a sense of humor to it. And beavers.)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:55 am

As always, esme, when it's you - I really do laugh out loud!!  Belly laugh Yup, beavers!  Hmm...  Laugh
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:32 am

JustTheFacts wrote:As always, esme, when it's you - I really do laugh out loud!!  Belly laugh Yup, beavers!  Hmm...  Laugh

They were cute beavers! I just didn't think they needed my help, but hey, I guess some days even a beaver needs a little backup!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:03 am

Most of our "partners"  are generally useless.     pfft

I started playing Demon Hunters 2  (#1 is better,  but seeing I foolishly bought without
    demoing,   I will play it through)

The best thing that happens is:  

just in case someone wants to play and actually cares about this spoiler about useless partner:

Made me happy.    Big smile

This game is hard on the character.   So far she has survived a helicopter crash,  been
    shot and last I knew,  poisoned.   Of course,  finding an antidote requires going through
    HO's,  pulling stuff out of floors and walls,  fixing windows,  finding codes-who knows,
    maybe eventually making an antidote.
    There is also a police who should've retired 100 years ago as he is totally clueless.

Oh well,  typical game.

I want to get HH:Phoenix and save a beaver.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm

The bonus section was sort of dumb and not necessary to the understanding or resolution of the basic plot. 

It did, however, give a kind of nifty little shout-out to HH: Eternity, which was kind of cool. 

And apparently saving gorillas is okay, but saving pumas is not.  Dunno
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:41 pm

I will probably get HH: Phoenix when it comes out as an SE.

I went through my Purchase History and realised I bought and never played.
    Christmas Stories:   Nutcracker.     I played the second one and enjoyed it.
    So,   that is what I am now playing.    Really liking it.  Especially blowing that snowman
    to bits.  Snowy bounce
    More  especially since there is no snow outside my door  (yet!!).

As a matter of fact,   I have my window fan going.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhkay. I just started Whispered Secrets: Golden Something. I am flabbergasted. I am agog. I am nearly speechless.

Did I really just 
    So stupid it hurts:

Add to that the fact that I seem to be randomly carrying around a red panda. A red panda which is generally found in Nepal? Though this is a decidedly English-speaking little hamlet of foolishness. A red-freaking-panda???? Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Speechless-smiley

Last edited by Esme on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:55 am

Belly laugh   I just can't stop laughing!   Just when you thought these games could not more

ridiculous--along comes esme and her rants!   Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Th?id=JN.kLsae5tICHeXUI6DKOY%2b1Q&pid=15
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:13 am

But seriously! A red panda!

I am so sick of the cutesy-wootsy little helper critters. The only one who is and will remain acceptable to me is Elf. Elf is different because, to me, he's an actual character. He's got a personality and he's evolved over the series. He's cute. He's helpful. He's non-intrusive. 

For me, the worst one was the metal rooster. At least I think he was metal. Maybe he was wooden. I think he was some crazy inventors pet thingamabob. And he was ANNOYING! Does anyone else remember that one? I think it was an Elephant game, but I'm not sure. It's when the "critter helper" phase was just getting insane. The only other one I sort of like was a gingerbread man in one of the Christmas games. 

Do any of you have a most hated critter helper? Or am I just putting way too much thought and angst into this? LOL Embarrassed
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:22 am

It was Lord of Statues I think, esme. I remember it as part of the beginning of the obsession over pet characters.

I like Elf too, but I also like that Imp in the Witches Legacy series.  Big smile
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:25 am

There was a Gingerbread Man in Hansel & Gretel, probably the least successful of Eipix' games. But the little fellow was quite adorable in his way, he switched teams to help you, because all the other Gingerbread Men were Minions of Whatever Evil it was.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:31 am

JustTheFacts wrote:It was Lord of Statues I think, esme. I remember it as part of the beginning of the obsession over pet characters.

I like Elf too, but I also like that Imp in the Witches Legacy series.  Big smile
    That's right. I didn't like that game much if I remember correctly. Probably because of the metal chicken. 

I don't think I've played any of the Witches Legacy series. Too many witch games all seem the same. 

There was also one with an annoying cherub. I think DJ liked it, but I wanted to punch it. I have a low tolerance for cute it seems. 

I can't decide if I should give up now on Red Panda-monium or see if it gets any better. Not many games feature knife fights. Gotta give it a point for that. However it's -20 points for having me look for stupid crap while being attacked by a knife-wielding bartender while I look for apples and matches and probably a crowbar.  Rolling Eyes
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 am

The absolutely worse helper is the Barbie that you have to dress up in different outfits
    to get her to do some  stupid chore that you could do quicker yourself.

Why they kept her after getting bombarded with  "No way will we buy this with her"
    in the beta quotes  ( I know cause I was one of them-others who did the beta
    felt the same way)  is beyond me.

I didn't mind the Rooster helper,  thought he was kind of cool.   I like chickens.
    The ginger bread guy in Hansel and Gretel was,  to me,   kind of creepy,   just wanted
    to see him dipped in milk and eaten.
    Even if he did turn out to be ok.

I got the SE MT  today with a pc,   so will be happy to be playing with Elf.

A few years ago there was a game that had a helper that looked like Mel Brooks

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Th?id=JN.UDub3ht7Nqb5oz8ZskY1Bg&pid=15
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:47 am

I'd play a game with Marty Feldman as my helper! I'd play the heck out of it. Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 38 Loosingitsm

Barbie, not so much.

I don't remember a dress up Barbie helper. I must have missed that gem of a game. Whew!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:14 pm

This. Game. Is. So. Dumb,
    faceplant
    faceplant 
    faceplant
    faceplant
    faceplant
    faceplant
    faceplant