Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

GOG.com Site Overhaul

genkicoll
    genkicoll

GOG.com Site Overhaul Empty GOG.com Site Overhaul

Post by genkicoll Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out. We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex. All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
    Frodo
    Frodo

GOG.com Site Overhaul Empty Re: GOG.com Site Overhaul

Post by Frodo Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 am

I came here to post about the GOG overhaul, but Genki was quicker  Snicker

I found it tricky to find what games GOG are removing (maybe it's just me?), so HERE'S the page listing them, and the discount prices.  Okay
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 am

Ohh, thank you, Frodo!  I had missed that part! OH!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am

It's sad that Black Mirror 2 is being removed - it only got added recently.  Cry
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Hmm, does anyone know how buying a dropped game from GOG works?
    I don't hang onto games when I've finished playing them. Would I be able to download a game in future if GOG no longer carries it? I know we can (currently, anyway) with Big Fish but they are not DRM-free.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Hey RMom Smile

If you buy it, it will stay on your GOG shelf for good, even if the game is withdrawn. 
    And it's completely DRM-free, so you can download it onto a USB pen, external hard drive etc, and use it on a different machine, if you want.  Okay
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Oh wow, thanks Frodo that's great to know. And the prices are very very good!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Yes they are... I'm going to have to get two of them before they go off sale >_<
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:59 am

Hi. I'm suddenly in the mood to play large file adventures.

Has anyone played the original Black Mirror? If the voice acting is annoying, I won't enjoy it. There's a comment about that in the first review on GOG. Other than that, I haven't heard much about it. I remember some LFA lovers chatting about Black Mirror II and Black Mirror III at CCC.

Will I miss key parts of the story if I don't play them in order?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:43 am

I'd like to know, too (about whether I'll be missing story if I skip #1) 

Lilac, why not watch the promo video on GOG or check it out on Youtube?
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:13 am

genkicoll wrote:I'd like to know, too (about whether I'll be missing story if I skip #1) 

Lilac, why not watch the promo video on GOG or check it out on Youtube?

I watched the video of the opening scene, but I haven't checked YouTube yet. I was hoping someone from the D&E group had played it, but either way, I won't be able to buy any new games until next week.

I'm demoing some of the LFAs from BFG (Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy and the Return to Mysterious Island series). I like Nostradamus: TLP, but I'm not sure I can tolerate the girl's voice.  Snicker I've got two coupons to use up.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:17 am

Here's a list of all of the adventures and adventure-lites at Big Fish.  Maybe that will help!
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 am

genkicoll wrote:Here's a list of all of the adventures and adventure-lites at Big Fish.  Maybe that will help!

Thank you, Genki! Hope you're settled into your new home. Have a great day!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am