Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

The Mystery of the Mary Celeste

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:30 pm

by: Merscom

Available at:
    Big Fish for PC

Follow Mary Morehouse as she joins the guests and
    crew of the Mary Celeste II on its maiden voyage. Shortly after the
    boat leaves the dock strange events start to happen and Mary must work
    to escape this ill fated ship and solve The Mystery of the Mary Celeste.
    Explore the mysterious theories behind the disappearance of the
    original Mary Celeste while trying to save yourself from a similar
    demise! Take to the seas in this haunting Hidden Object game!

• Immersive atmosphere
    • Spooky scenes
    • Save the Mary Celeste II!

Click images to enlarge

genkicoll

Re: The Mystery of the Mary Celeste

Post by genkicoll on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:04 pm

The first thing I did was turn up the music and ambient sounds and turn down the sound effects (wrong-click sounds).

This is a semi-interactive Hidden Object Game, where the items to be gathered are listed by picture at the bottom of the screen. Here's a neat trick: Everything you pick up goes in your inventory and you can pick it up from your inventory. You may only need one item from any scene, but I think it's a nice touch :Big smile: Besides, you have to work a little harder. ie. In other games you have to interact with something and you know exactly what to do because you only have one item in your inventory. In this game, you have about a dozen to choose from. Sometimes more than one object is needed to interact with a single item, so you have pop-up areas. You know how many items are needed because you can see the bubbles, but you still have to figure out which items to use.

The story is VERY non-invasive, given to you one line at a time at the top of the screen, plus it is skippable. Every word of conversation will be recorded in your journal, so if you miss something, it is easily accessible. I love to be immersed in a story, myself, so I read everything as it came. The game starts out innocently enough, but it doesn't take long for strange things to start happening... then downright spooky! YEEES! Yahoo! I loves me some spooky! Snicker

You may find items in some strange places occasionally, but this is not a junk pile HOG. Items start of pretty easy to find, but the game gets more challenging as you progress. Another plus is that the developers have worked hard to make items time-appropriate (since it's an important plot point!)

I came to my first mini-game approx. 45 minutes into the game, and there IS a skip button for those who need it.

Overall, I give this game a thumbs up! :thumb: It's already been purchased and played through~

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:38 am