Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

4 posters

Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack

Esme
    Esme

Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack Empty Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack

Post by Esme Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I don't know if any of the rest of you are guacamole junkies like the hub and I are, but we love the stuff. Seriously. We destroy bowls of it in a blissful stupor until the bowl is empty. Then we cry.  Cry  I'm only slightly exaggerating. 

Today I made an amazing variation: Corn and Cotija Guacamole from Closet Cooking

This stuff is swoon-worthy. I could eat it until I waddle (and just might)! 

Here are the directions and my tweaks (in red, as usual). 

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon butter
    • 1 cup corn (~2 ears)
    • 2 large avocados, mashed
    • 1/4 cup cotija (or feta), crumbled (I used Feta because I had it on hand and was too lazy to go back to the store) 
    • 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime) (I used half lime and half lemon because it's what I had on hand and I was too lazy to go back to the store)
    • 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced ( I used diced bell pepper because I'm an idiot and picked from the wrong pepper bush from the garden-- in my defense, my bell peppers are small and skinny this year)
    • 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
    • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
    • salt and pepper to taste

directions

1. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, about 6-10 minutes, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes, and remove from heat.
    2. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
    3. Mix everything and enjoy!

That's it! It is TO DIE FOR! While still maintaining the illusion of being healthful... veggies and healthy avocado fats, you know... 

The roasted corn makes it slightly sweet and smoky and the cheese just enhances everything. I mean really, when doesn't cheese make food better? 

I had to make myself walk away, but like the sirens of yore, it's calling me back. 

Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack Guac10
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack Empty Re: Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack

Post by genkicoll Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Umnumm, nummy!  Looks awesome!  I love how you add your additions in red, that's awesome  Two thumbs up
    Esme
    Esme

Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack Empty Re: Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack

Post by Esme Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm a fairly confident cook, and I almost never follow a recipe to the letter. However, I know that lots of people are not, and can't "freestyle" in the kitchen like I do, so I try to make my instructions as accurate as I can.

I also try to amuse myself, but that is another story entirely.  Wink
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Esme wrote:I'm a fairly confident cook, and I almost never follow a recipe to the letter. However, I know that lots of people are not, and can't "freestyle" in the kitchen like I do, so I try to make my instructions as accurate as I can.

I also try to amuse myself, but that is another story entirely.  Wink

Sometimes I read your posts and think I wrote them.  That is so me.  And we love guacamole.  It's kind of an obsession, actually.  This recipe will get tasted and tweaked in my kitchen for sure!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:03 pm

I've noticed that too, Pippi. Our writing style at times is quite similar... Happy bounce 

I hope you like the Roasted Corn Guacamole (I almost titled it Crackamole, but that seemed a bit much)... We are really enjoying it here. And by "we" I mean "me" since hubs is napping. If the Crackamole is gone when he wakes, it's his loss!

Let me know how it turns out for you if you try it!
    pippi
    pippi

Post by pippi Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 pm

I think Crackamole sounds like a great name.  We'll try it as soon as we can find some decent avocado.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:09 am

I'm already thinking about a second batch.

Crackamole is definitely the name for this stuff. It's addictive!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Mmmmm...that does look really good, Esme!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm

It really is, DJ. Super easy to make too. 

And healthful. It's got veggies. 

I have eaten more than I care to admit! Corn and Cotija Guacamole-- AKA Guacamole Crack Foretnoire

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content