Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Pippi's Pondering and Pontificating

pippi

Pippi's Pondering and Pontificating

Post by pippi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:15 am

Sometimes I never know where to post things.   Dunno 

So I did what any normal person would do, and I asked Genki.  She naturally had a great suggestion on how to create my own threads - and most importantly, where to put them!   Yahoo! 

Over in the Games Gab, I made a thread to talk about actual games ... this is for all the other stuff that might not be directly about a game.

Most of the time, I will use this space for nice things I think about or want to say Wub  but there may be other times I bury a rant!  devilish grin

Welcome! - but peruse at your own risk!   Smile

luvtoread

Re: Pippi's Pondering and Pontificating

Post by luvtoread on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 am

Don't ever bury a rant!!! LET IT OUT!!!  Happy bounce 

pippi

Post by pippi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 am

luvtoread wrote:Don't ever bury a rant!!!   LET IT OUT!!!      Happy bounce 

OK, then.  Here goes.  You were warned!
        rollingpin  dirtywords

I just got back from the BFG Rapunzel forum.  Where I felt the need to write a positive game review. (I accidentally clicked on the link in the stupid game manager.  The rest is all my fault, because I thought to myself:  Self, that was a very enjoyable game.  Wonder what everyone is saying about it?)

Big Mistake.  Big Hairy Mistake.  From where did these posters come?  Can they go back under their rocks?  Back when there was a Real Pond, people didn't trash the people who liked a game because they didn't.  (Or not at least where I read stuff, anyway.)  Sheesh.  I'm not saying this because I like the DP series, either.  Some of the games are better than some of the other ones.  There's nothing wrong with saying that - constructive criticism will help Blue Tea make better games.  There's nothing wrong with pointing out Rapunzel's weak points (and there were a few). 

But  dirtywords - to go all Nelly Negative and say "This Is Terrible Don't Bother It Is The Worst Game I've Ever Seen" doesn't help anybody.  So  rollingpin  Tantrum  raincloud on those people.  It was painfully obvious most of the reviewers hadn't even played the game, nor were they familiar with the fact it is part of a series.  This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine - reviewing games you haven't played.  (And I don't mean finished, I mean even slogged through the demo.)

Sheesh.  I  Heart it here, where people are nice and kind and friendly and wonderful. 

/end rant

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:33 am

I agree with you on all fronts. I find myself less and less attached to the big fish forums. They have some of the most ridiculous or offensive posts!  Meh 

I am not surprised there are fewer reviewers. I post my reviews and leave these days, without a glance around to see if I can help.  backaway 

AND here is the most wonderful place of all!  bath-sing 

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 am

Oh, wow, I'm glad you started this thread, pippi! It's a huge pet peeve of mine, too!  Meh 

Constructive criticism is way better than trash-talk when it comes to games. If only people would state why they don't particularly like a game um...gently & respectfully instead of the abusive, hurtful way they do.
    There are a few developers who actually stop in & post in their Game Forums. I greatly admire their courage in doing that.

Even with BFG closing CCC, I still see the forums turning vicious at times and it ain't pretty!

So....I'm with luvtoread, RANT ON, PIPPI!!!  Okay

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:14 am

Oh, and another thing...I absolutely hated it when someone would post how much they liked a game & then proceed to get jumped on by BFG's "Pond Clique."

Everybody's different and with that comes differing tastes in games. Gosh, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

In the old D&E thread over there at BFG...we all had our own opinions and not once did we ever bicker around like a bunch of school kids!

And I love it here, too, because of the friendly, awesome group of people from all over the world! It's funny...JustTheFacts is going to sleep when I'm waking up!  Big smile (when she sleeps. Sometimes, I don't think she ever does!)

pippi

Post by pippi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:51 pm

EDIT TO ASK VITAL QUESTION:  IS IT BETTER TO BUY GAMES THROUGH BFG WEBSITE OR THE BLASTED GAME MANAGER?  DOES IT MATTER?

So I'm playing through all the Dark Dimensions demos ... and I really like them. 

But the Wax one is eating my computer's memory alive.  <----What is that about?!  Even on this whacked out computer, that should NOT be happening.  It isn't going to stop me from getting the game, though, because it looks interesting.

So far, for my 8 CEs (I have exactly 8 Club credits ... how awesome is that.  Sure wish I'd saved the other six I had lying around!  Oh, well.)

Dark Parables:  Jack and the Skyward Kingdom
    Dark Dimensions:  Fog
    Dark Dimensions:  Wax 
    Dark Dimensions:  Ash
    Dark Dimensions:  Song
    MCF:  Shadow Lake
    Fright (which I'm worried is going to stink and disappoint me)

There is room for one more little treasure.  Hmmm.  What goody will I find?

DJ - no kidding about Justie - I wonder if she ever sleeps!

Last edited by pippi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I have urgently important questions!)

Esme

Post by Esme on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 pm

luvtoread wrote:Don't ever bury a rant!!!   LET IT OUT!!!      Happy bounce 

Oh.... never keep a rant under wraps. Let them free for the world to enjoy!  Laugh

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm

HA! I heard that! Embarrassed Crazy Sure I sleep. About 2-4 hours at a time.  flutter eyelashes It's just that old half-the-planet-away time issue combined with Frodo's  da blame TOTALLY addictive dragon game. Which requires odd hours and maximum caffeine intake, as any pediatric professional (or mother) will tell you!  2muchcompy spit take coffee tealove

Sunny 

pippi

Post by pippi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:08 pm

I do not think dear Frodo is nearly as addicted to Dragon Cave as you and Orphaned are, Justie!  Snicker 

She might've told you about the Cave, but you and Orphaned embraced that beast and taken it to a Whole New Level!   Crazy 

This is why I'll visit, then  backaway 

And speaking of, isn't it the middle of the night Down Under?   2muchcompy   nite-nite

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Only 3am lol Elk grin 

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:00 pm

I've visited the Dragon Cave thread & the other related threads to look at all the cool pics!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:04 pm

They're great, aren't they? Dragon art is our in-house art collector's specialty.  Snicker orphaned really is great at finding interesting and different ones, with a smattering of just irresistibly cute thrown in! Sunny She works as hard on dragon art as I do on dragon egg stealing... argh! cat

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:09 pm

pippi, I usually buy games through the Game Manager. I mean the Big Fish Games App. The reason is, most times the game is already there because I've demo'd it and any "sale codes" have been applied.
    Basically, I'm lazy & don't want to have to look it up at the site.

This morning, I couldn't. I kept getting an error message about my internet connection (it was fine & connected, so I don't know what was going on). I had to purchase from BFG's site.

ETA: I remember now. When I clicked "find the problem or whatever" after getting the error message, it said that BFG's site was "not responding." Must've been a lot of people waiting on a BOGO sale.  Laugh

Last edited by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Yes, JustTheFacts, they really are pretty!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:17 pm

And I'm the opposite, even though it is usually on my pc, I will normally go through the site to get a game - no reason except that I didn't realise, at first, that I could do it through the game manager, and formed a habit.

Pippi, years ago when it was somewhat more impressive than today, I used to have my own website with stories about my cats that were similar to the dragon stories I am playing around with now.

I also have a section for airing my point of view on current news etc. and called it Pontifications! Talk about synchronicity!  Big smile 

Frodo

Post by Frodo on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:48 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:HA! I heard that! Embarrassed Crazy Sure I sleep. About 2-4 hours at a time.  flutter eyelashes It's just that old half-the-planet-away time issue combined with Frodo's  da blame TOTALLY addictive dragon game. Which requires odd hours and maximum caffeine intake, as any pediatric professional (or mother) will tell you!  2muchcompy spit take coffee tealove

Sunny 

Your dragon babies demand constant attention.   Snicker

Frodo

Post by Frodo on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 pm

pippi wrote:I do not think dear Frodo is nearly as addicted to Dragon Cave as you and Orphaned are, Justie!  Snicker 

Don't bet on it.  Have you SEEN how many dragons I have on my scroll?  And I love every single one of them!   Cute Dragon  Wub

Frodo

Post by Frodo on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Pippi, I buy my games through the main BFG site.   Okay

pippi

Post by pippi on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Frodo wrote:
    pippi wrote:I do not think dear Frodo is nearly as addicted to Dragon Cave as you and Orphaned are, Justie!  Snicker 

Don't bet on it.  Have you SEEN how many dragons I have on my scroll?  And I love every single one of them!   Cute Dragon  Wub

Further reason I am delighted to be a Dragon Godmother.  I'm perfectly content to click occasionally on everyone's dragons so they grow.  I consider it akin to sprinkling faerie dust.

Sunny

pippi

Post by pippi on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Uh ... I just got a message on Frodo's page that I cannot give aid to a Dragon Cave site user without her permission. (I am an anonymous clicker godmother - I never registered for the site*.)  What's that about?  I didn't get that message on any of the other dragons I clicked today.

And why do grown-up dragons not get clicks?  They need love, too!

*Registering would be a slippery slope to forgetting I have a real life and a husband who would prefer he is fed, watered, and clothed regularly.   Belly laugh

Thanks, Justie for the quick response.  I clarified my question a bit in hopes Frodo will pop around sometime.

Last edited by pippi on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to thank Justie)

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm

pippi wrote:Uh ... I just got a message that I cannot give aid to a Dragon Cave site user without her permission. (I am an anonymous clicker godmother - I never registered for the site*.)  What's that about?

*Registering is a slippery slope to forgetting I have a real life and a husband who would prefer he is fed, watered, and clothed regularly.   Belly laugh

Belly laugh Belly laugh 

The user can decide to not allow views/clicks from wherever. Unknown sources amybe, or they may be trying to achieve certain ends that can get messed up by people, again maybe, sticking their egg on a very busy forum, so it gets too many views to quickly.

That isn't very articulate, but hope you get gist. Frodo knows I am sure lol

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:20 am

See, this is why I can't/won't play the dragon game thingy. 

1. I'd kill them. I know me. Then I'd feel terrible and guilty about neglecting my imaginary cyber pets.  Cry 

2. I'd never get off the computer, and hubs already wonders why I'm online so much as it is!  Belly laugh

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:52 am

It's not that difficult or even time consuming, as long as you don't get obsessed, pippi and esme. And unless you are working on some special totally obsessive project, like experimenting with feeding or not feeding your dragons, there's little chance to fail.

It just takes a while to grab the eggs of your choice, and that can be 5 minutes or 2 hours, depending on how much time you want to give. Then, copy and paste your username in literally 5 sites.

Then watch them grow for up to 6 days, hey presto! Adult dragon, who is fine and needs no care at all! Smile

Its appeal is in fact in part, how incredibly easy and non-time consuming it is...

Of course, if you want to write a book about all your dragons, their lives and their interconnections, well, that might take up a little more time lol.

All that horsing around, though, not necessary to dragon welfare. We just did that for fun lol.

djrum

Post by djrum on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:15 am

I have to laugh about "time spent on the computer."

I know my hubs wonders why I spend so much time on the computer with casual games taking up a huge chunk of that time.
    When I can, I'll play for about 2-3 hours and then I have to take a break.

JustTheFacts, one of my friends plays Farmville or whatever it's called on fb. She's always on the computer, tending her crops, her neighbor's crops, buying & moving stuff.
    It all sounds like too much work to me.
    My niece used to play SIMS and I could never raise a virtual family. It was exhausting just watching her play.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:30 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:30 am