Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+16
Critteranne
jboliver1999
jessmom01
tesamoine
pippi
Butterflyshrimp
Frodo
RenaissanceMom
BloomingLilac
orphaned
luvtoread
kac
djrum
Esme
genkicoll
marianne
20 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

luvtoread
    luvtoread

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 29 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by luvtoread Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 pm

I worked at a convenience store  ( 2 different ones).  I know about the abuse that comes
    from turning people down.   Only one guy ever came back to apologize.   He was the one
    I was less then polite with, too!

I am now playing MT:  Blackrow's Secret.   I am enjoying it.   When you use your
    device,   make sure you look around to find the vases.   The first one I found I didn't
    realise what it was.   I just figured it out,  but because I could not go back to the
    front of the house,   I might have missed at least 2.
    I should have been like the Star Trek crew that pulls out their tricorders to search the
    area!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 am

I'm going totally off-topic here, but I've got a question. I hope someone can give me some feedback.

Why does our dog growl at our grandson? It's been a problem for awhile now and I cannot figure it out. Our dog (Sasha) is pretty big and I'm scared to death she may bite him.
    Sasha exhibits no aggressive behavior towards our granddaughter.

Awhile back, our daughter and her kids stayed with us for a little over a month. I know the grandkids would "tease" each other and sometimes, it would lead to a fight.
    Do you think it's possible Sasha is (sort of) defending our granddaughter and that's why she growls?

It is a problem and I just don't know how to deal with it.
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:28 pm

I wish I had an answer.   The only thing I can think of is the obvious.  Keep her separate
    from your grandson when he comes over.
    To bad you can't get Cesar over to figure it out.
    Like you said, she just might think she's protecting your granddaughter.   Maybe if
    he brings treats for her,  she will eventually like him.
    Or you could muzzle her when he is around.

Last edited by luvtoread on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 29 10626525_758001680939359_6587778071373641587_n

Does any of this sound familiar......anyone?     Belly laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Yep, sounds real familiar to me... Huh?  Belly laugh

I believe you're right, luvtoread. I'll have to continue keeping them separated. Most times, she (our dog) listens to me and he (our grandson) is getting better at listening to me.
    And by the time they all leave...I'm hoarse.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:47 pm

DJ, I bet you're right and Sasha is trying to protect your granddaughter. What breed of dog is she, primarily if not purebred?

I had a big lumbering dog (Shepard/Pitbull mix, also named Sasha) that anyone could sit on and she wouldn't complain, but my Irish Terrier mix Jackie would take sides in any perceived drama and was a potential growler. Very unnerving, esp when it comes to children!

I am hoping that this tension will pass, sooner rather than later. Not sure that separation is the answer, as it'd be great for Sasha to learn to recognize that your grandson needs her protection as well. However, if the grandkids aren't over that often, maybe it's the smartest solution, even if temporary. Good luck!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi RMom, Sasha is a "pound puppy" because we got her at our local dog pound. The sign on her cage described her as a Terrier mix, but I see no Terrier in her at all.
    She looks like a Shepherd/Pitbull/Retriever mix, so she's quite big at 90+ pounds. She's got a weird tale, it curls like a Husky's tail.

I think she's a big baby. She gets scared easily and she hates a car ride. I always thought dogs loved car rides!
    My theory about that is...since she was basically found wandering around a neighborhood, somebody had dropped her off and she probably rode in a car to get there. Maybe she has severe abandonment issues? I don't know.
    HELP....I need Cesar "The Dog Whisperer"!!

She really is my fantastic furbaby and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. Wub  
    Even with all her issues, I love her so much!! Heart
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Oh I recognize that dog-love. My Sasha and Jackie were a twosome with issues for sure but OMG we adored them both. Now I have Lucy, my little (42lb) black lab mix whose personality is like a combo of the two - minus their issues I'm glad to say - and we are in love again.

Wow your Sasha is quite large! I'm not surprised to hear she has terrier in her (you mentioned she looks like she's part Pitbull, which is a terrier after all) as from my experience terriers tend to be a little more high strung and snappish than other breeds and aren't known for being the greatest with children, though Pitbulls are usually an exception.

Best of luck dealing with this safely and hope Sasha catches on soon!
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

dj, I have 2 Miniature Schnauzers (I've had 6, including them.) and they don't usually like kids. I'm not sure what it is about this breed (terriers), but all 6 of mine have been that way. They're very high-strung, and they bark a lot. Since my son grew up with all of them except one, they've never growled or snapped at him.

A few years back, my son and his girlfriend came to stay at my house for the holidays. I had to do some last minute shopping, so I told him I'd leave the back door unlocked in case I wasn't back in time. They got here a few minutes before I did. The female remembered him and his girlfriend, but my male has never really warmed up to my son. He growls anytime my son comes in the room with me. This dog is more attached to me than any of the others, and they've all been "my dogs" even though they were technically his dogs, too.

My son has a deep voice. He's got dark hair and brown eyes. At first, I thought that was why the male didn't trust him to get near me, but then I remembered that he came in the house while I was gone. He might also sense my son's animosity. He's very impatient with me at times, and sometimes he rides his girlfriend's case. I feel uncomfortable when they visit, and sometimes I feel sorry for her. That sounds mean, I know, but my ex was a jerk, and when my son snaps at me or his gf, it reminds me of the way his dad treated me. 

Schnauzers are notorious for being "one person" dogs. They like other adults, but they choose one person as their favorite.

Does your grandson have a low voice? My son's was pretty low even when he was really young. I don't know how to explain it, but other kids' voices sounded younger in comparison, which is completely normal.

I hope your dog will eventually warm up to your grandson.

Edit: I forgot to mention my nieces were always afraid of my dogs because two of them got bitten. The oldest one was told not to bother the dog while she had puppies, but she was 2 years old and either didn't understand when my mother and I warned her, or she just disobeyed us. The dog snapped at her cheek. Of course, my mother told my sister-in-law what happened. I felt bad about it, but it happened so fast, there was nothing I could do. That poor little girl was terrified even when she was a teenager.
     Embarrassed Oops!

One of the other girls was bitten by the same dog for getting up in her face while I was sitting nearby. I'm so glad my dogs weren't very big. It could've been more than red marks on their cheeks. OH!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:44 am

Thank you all so much for your input! Hug

I think dogs are very smart. We live in a two-story house. As an experiment, I wanted to see how long Sasha could hold a memory.
    I told her to go and "fetch her squeaky ball." (She only has a squeaky ball and another rubber ball because she tears all her toys up)
    She runs all the way downstairs, finds the correct ball, runs back upstairs and brings it to me. (Well, I have to take it from her, she hasn't grasped the total concept of "fetch")

So, dogs can definitely retain a "memory" or "command" and I can see how long-lost dogs eventually make their way home.
    I don't know how they do it, whether it's a combination of a keen sense of smell, tracking abilities, memories, mindset, purpose...when I see or read the stories, I'm always so touched by the reunions with their families!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 am

OK, back to the games!!!! Big smile

I'm now playing Warlock: The Curse of the Shaman and it's a very good SE game! The storyline is another lift the curse/save the world from evil wrongdoings and in order to do this, we must go back in time (through portals, lol!!!).
    First off, the sound FX in the HO scenes are not appropriate with the theme of the game. Sounds like Disney music to me. If you can overlook that...the game is worth playing. Oh, I almost forgot, no wide-screen. But there are pretty borders instead of 3-4 inches of black space on either side.
    The gameplay feels kind of adventure-like in that you can mouse over something and get a descriptive or a general comment.
    There are two kinds of HO scenes, regular lists and "bubble" lists, with slight interactivity in the regular lists and sometimes, you get a "guiding" hand and sometimes, you don't.
    No map, you must remember the places (wow, I'm getting lazy).
    Graphics are good and sharp.

I've been playing for 3 days and haven't run into any tech problems thus far and the 3 days part is what's impressing me as well as the gameplay.

Good job, Quick Click Games!! Okay
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 pm

dj, I hope you're feeling better about the situation with your dog and your grandson. Hug 

-----------------

Has anyone played The Lost Crown or the Gabriel Knight series?  I've been reading about TLC and decided it sounded like the kind of game I'm in the mood for (and it's 35+ hours of gameplay, but I can't find where I saw that, so it might've been one of the Dark Fall games...). I bought The Lost Crown here for $5.00 USD. If I like TLC, I may pick up Barrow Hill and at least one of the Dark Fall games. I think Dark Fall - The Journal sounds creepy! 

Thanks to Genki's post about the bundle (Bundle Stars Deals thread) with Scratches (and the Syberia series, etc.), I decided to buy Scratches Director's Cut with a coupon from BFG. I played it straight through. All this time I thought I wouldn't be able to run it, and my demo had 3 minutes left. There were some genuinely scary moments in that game. I enjoyed the story, but the navigation was a little tedious. Anyway, I was reading on the Scratches forum and saw that someone had asked if the game was as good as Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. I'm curious about it now, but I may wait until GOG has it on sale. 

Thanks in advance for any comments.
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 pm

@luv - I don't have to wonder why I gained weight and where my money goes. Snicker  The rest suits me to a T, though.
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 am

BloomingLilac, I've played the Gabrial Knight games - excellent series.  Big smile

GK 1 is excellent!  Absolutely loved it!  Excellent gameplay, excellent graphics, excellent voiceovers.  And I loved the story.  Big smile    They're remaking this one, and I'm curious how the remake will hold up to the original. 

GK 2 is my absolute favourite of the series!  Mega-super-duper excellent!  Really sad story about werewolves (LOVE werewolves  Elk grin ).  This one has real actors in it. 

GK 3 is meh.  Never much liked the jump to 3d graphics, and haven't been able to make myself finish it.  Yeah right
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:28 am

Frodo, thank you so much for your input. I'm even more excited about the GK series now! Should I play them in order? I was thinking of starting with the first one so I can follow the story, not to mention that I noticed a lot of people complaining about the full motion videos and the voice acting in the 2nd one. These people rated the game fairly high despite the complaints, so since I'm not already a fan of the series, it might be harder for me to tolerate those two things. I can't stand games with lots of cut scenes, and lousy voice acting can ruin an otherwise 5-star game for me.

I also want to play The Longest Journey. Smile
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:50 am

BloomingLilac, you're very welcome.  Smile   The stories are seperate, so you can play them in any order.  Okay

I've read complaints about GK 2 as well, but I don't really understand why they are complaining.  FMV is a personal preference - I happen to love FMV games, so I loved that aspect of it.  As for the voice acting, I honestly don't see what's wrong with the voice acting.  It seems absolutely fine to me.  So I don't know why the complainers are complaining about it.  Huh? 

But yeah, if you're not already a fan, and you're not sure about the FMV stuff in GK 2, I recommend you start with GK 1, to get a feel for the characters.  Okay

And Longest Journey... another WONDERFUL game  Big smile   Gotta love Cortez  Wub
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks again, Frodo. That's very helpful. I almost got GK2 after reading the comments on the Scratches forum, but now I'm glad I waited. I'll see if GOG has a sale this weekend as I've already got a huge backlog of games to play. One more question: Does the GK series have crafting and potions? I'm playing Return to Mysterious Island and I absolutely love experimenting with different combinations of the items I find. :-)
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:53 am

There's no need to hurry -- GOG puts the GK series on sale on a semi-frequent basis Big smile
    sunshinej
    sunshinej

Post by sunshinej Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 am

BloomingLilac...I played The Lost Crown this past spring.  It's a great game and I really enjoyed playing it. It had a absorbing story that I would like to play again to pick up on some of the subtle story details that I missed the first time through. It also had its share of some pretty creepy moments.   The VO were really good too.  The main character may sound a little flat to you, but everyone else was spot on.

I played Return to Mysterious Island back in 2012.  What a fun game it was with Mina & Jep.  I also enjoyed seeing what I could make using the different combination of items.

I also played The Longest Journey and agree it is a wonderful game.  Now the character who stayed with me most was Flipper Burns.  What a character.
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi, sunshine! Nice to meet you. Smile Thank you for your comments.

I started The Lost Crown tonight, but I'm taking a break. Had to check the walkthrough because I couldn't get the broken sign to line up just right. I thought I needed a screwdriver or some other tool to fix it, but I just need to re-align it. 

In Return to Mysterious Island, I used up all the eggs for Mina, but I want to make a cake. Will I need to start over? I've just nursed Jep back to health. Someone said there would be straw with the bamboo and willow bark, but I never got any. I've searched everywhere. Jep didn't need the mattress after all. He automatically fell asleep with Mina and she had the dream. I got a little discouraged about not having any eggs and straw, so that's where I left off. Hope it's not a glitch.
    jboliver1999

Post by jboliver1999 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 am

BloomingLilac, in Return To Mysterious Island, there are things you can make but you really won't need to use them. Making these extras just gives you more points. Another thing, there will be times when you have to do something (ie. bribe/scare a monkey) and you can choose from 2 or 3 things to use. If I remember correctly, the bamboo and straw are to the left of the scarecrow you found. There will be a swampy area. I think the willow bark might be there, too.

It's been a while since I played this but there was a group play a few years ago at BFG. I think I played it through about 10 times Shock
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:20 am

Hello, jb! Nice to meet you. Thanks for the helpful comments. I really like the game, but the buzzing sound when I try to combine the wrong items is driving me crazy. Snicker

When I got the bamboo and willow bark, etc., I ended up with two large bamboo stalks, a medium piece of bamboo, willow bark, and clay. I couldn't find straw in that area, which is where the walkthrough indicates it's supposed to be. Since I don't really need the mattress, I'm not going to continue looking for the straw, but I would really like to make the cake. Hmm...
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 am

It sure is nice to see some of our quieter members posting! Sunny
    jboliver1999

Post by jboliver1999 Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Nice to meet you, too, BloomingLilac! Smile
    I know genki, I tend to lurk Embarrassed but when someone needs help and I can do it, I'm there.

As for the cake,
    Spoiler:
    As for the straw
    Spoiler:

Sorry it took so long to answer, I was at work barf
    BloomingLilac
    BloomingLilac

Post by BloomingLilac Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:53 pm

jboliver1999 wrote:Nice to meet you, too, BloomingLilac! Smile
    I know genki, I tend to lurk Embarrassed but when someone needs help and I can do it, I'm there.

As for the cake,
    Spoiler:
    As for the straw
    Spoiler:

Sorry it took so long to answer, I was at work barf

Thanks a million, jb! I will look for that nest. Hug

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm