Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Empty Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:35 am

Dark Dimensions: Somber Song
    by Daily Magic Productions - March, 2014

Series links: Dark Dimensions 1: City of Fog, Dark Dimensions 2: Wax Beauty, Dark Dimensions 3: City of Ash, Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song, Dark Dimensions 5: Homecoming, Dark Dimensions 6: Shadow Pirouette, Dark Dimensions 7: Blade Master, Dark Dimensions 8: Vengeful Beauty

Available at:
    Big Fish as Collector's Edition / Standard Edition

Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Dark-dimensions-somber-song-ce_feature

From Daily Magic, makers of Dark Dimensions: City of Fog and Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty, comes the next exciting chapter in the Dark Dimensions series!

You’ve traveled across the country, tracking down dark dimensions in search of your missing family, when you stumble upon a violent one that has taken over the city of Seven Oaks, North Dakota. The black smoke is chasing people and captured a young girl right in front of your eyes. What caused this dark dimension, and who is being controlled by its influences? You must investigate for the truth behind the town’s recent tragedy if you want to save its future. A friendly spirit may help you, but can you trust him? Free the people and save the town in this exciting hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

The Collector’s Edition includes:  

• Bonus chapter, featuring an exciting epilogue!
    • Find collectibles that unlock bonus Match-3 levels
    • Exclusive diary that chronicles the game’s development!
    • Concept art gallery, soundtrack, and wallpapers

For the Standard Edition

Click images to enlarge
    Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Th_screen1_Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Th_screen2_Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song Empty Re: Dark Dimensions 4: Somber Song

Post by JustTheFacts Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:36 am

Little change from the Beta, except the Match 3 game in the Extras.

Musical Delight*****

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    Wonderful game. From the opening moments it is clear that this is going to be a first class sequel to the previously excellent 3 Dark Dimension games. There is drama and eeriness from the outset, and the intro looks so good! My only objection, it’s another freezing cold game! Hey devs, have pity on all those poor souls suffering an insufferable winter! I live in Australia, where we are having a drought, and even I’m sick of the sight of snow!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
    Gorgeous. The snow makes everything look so clean and bright! And the graphics are excellent. HOPs clear as a bell. What more can I say? The game is visually wonderful. The soundtracks are equally good. The voices in the cinematic cut-scenes are excellent. There are some great special effects (both sound and visual). The music ranges from ominous to scary. And there are a lot of frightening moments.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
    A fire in the town’s music school took the lives of 7 children last year. Now, on the anniversary of the tragedy, there appears some mystical and deadly smoke throughout the town. A little girl comes to your hotel room for help, but the smoke grabs her and drags her away, her body flying through the air on seemingly nothing but smoke. Yes, this is the evidence we need to accept that another Dark Dimension has formed, this time around the small, musically inclined town of Seven Oaks.

GAMEPLAY
    As with the previous Dark Dimension games, many of the puzzles in this game are too difficult for me, an intermediate player whose weakest point is puzzles. Still, there is more adventure action than puzzles, and so I love the game anyway. There are not a lot of HOPs, and each is a progressive word list. So, you must find an item, use it to find another, and so on until you get the inventory item. Each of the HOP scenes are visited twice, using the same search method.

There is a directional hint, and a video journal (no notes, just replayable videos from the game, some of which have useful information on them). The journal also has a tab for flashbacks. These are music sheet pages (10) that you must collect, in fragments (3 each), and they tell part of the backstory with simple cartoon drawings. The interactive jump map is good, and tells you where action is required. There are 3 levels of difficulty.

CE BLING!
    The bling! doesn’t overly impress me so far. Just the ‘flashbacks’ and a few wallpapers and concept art. Music tracks (7) of course. There is also “Developer’s Diary” which includes 50 shots of the team working on the game. There is also a Match 3 game with 10 levels, all of which can only be unlocked by playing the bonus chapter. That may be interesting.

COMBINED IMPACT
    Excellent game. I played the beta for this and it is the first beta I have played where I had nothing to suggest for improvements. (Tough old bird, aren’t I?) It is really beautiful as well as fun.

I recommend this game!

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 am