Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Empty Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:20 am

Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg
    by 8Floor Games - January, 2014

Available at:
    Big Fish

Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Hoyle-illusions_feature

Embark on a new and exciting magical Mahjongg adventure! Enjoy a variety of tile sets, myriad levels, beautiful environments, layout variations and much more! Seek and find each level as you experience Sophie's story and the magic of Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg!

• 120 unique levels and hours of game-play
    • Beautiful backgrounds & locations
    • A variety of tile sets, trophies and more!

Click images to enlarge
    Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Th_screen1_Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Th_screen2_Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg Empty Re: Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 am

Can You Spell Cookie Cutter?***

BASED ON FULL HOUR DEMO

ENOUGH!! TWO almost identical mahjong games by the same developer on the same day, where the most obvious change is the way they spell mah-jongg? I repeat ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

Do I sound outraged? Good, because I am. In concept, presentation and game mechanics, this game is identical to Mahjong Gold, also released today. I have gotten used to 8 Floor churning out near identical mahjong games every month, but that doesn’t mean I like it. This is going too far. Let me illustrate, as best one can with only standard text. *means actual differences [ ] is what I changed from my other review, which I did yesterday, not knowing what today would bring

This *magic-show mystery* [pirate]-themed game has the standard features I would expect in any mahjong game. This includes:

• 20 different boards  x 6 locales (from Trickster [Cabin Boy] to Master Illusionist [Admiral]) = 120 levels
    • Objectives for earning stars (time, number of steps, points, number of gold tiles retrieved)
    • Silver bonus tiles that automatically fill your multiplier meter
    • Magic-show [Pirate]-themed board designs
    • Shuffle bonus automatically applied
    • 3 types of tiles – original, magic-show[pirate] and large print numbers (The magic [pirate] tiles are [absolutely beautiful] pretty)
    • High scores and Achievements
    • *Hand-painted style backgrounds & Comic story board*
    • Pleasant [Exceptional pirate] music *No awards to the composer* this time [(give the composer a bonus for this one, it’s worth buying the game for that alone!)]
    • *Wand bonus that shades blocked tiles*

To progress through the levels you must meet the goals set for each board. These are:

1. Remove a certain number of gold tiles (the more non-gold tiles left at end of play earns more points)
    2. Receive so many points (points are awarded on time taken between moves and involve a multiplier)
    3. Complete the board in a set number of moves
    4. Time taken to clear the board

The board is finished once the number of gold tiles is complete. Points can be multiplied by increasing the speed of your play, the moves set are not necessarily the minimum possible (yet at least), but they are a challenge after the first few boards. If you do not reach all the goals in one try, say you didn’t have enough points but the other goals were reached, you can replay it focussing on the points and no need to repeat your performance on the other goals.

What I didn’t see was an indication of the number of matched pairs available. I really love this feature. *There is an attempt here at a story, which was badly started, because I have no idea what it meant.*

I liked that, though not a widescreen game, it catered to wide screens by having wallpaper on the sides. This could have been more magical [piratical] though.

And forget the other nice things I said about the pirate game. If you must get one of these, get Mahjong Gold, although this one is slightly more relaxing.

I don’t recommend this game!

And I wrote this BEFORE I found out about the Hoyle's Illusions IHOG! Now, gotta go back to bfg forums and sound off some more.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 am

JustTheFacts wrote:by 8 Floor and a total rip off of the Hoyle's IHOG game and boring to boot.

Wait... This is Hoyle Illusions Mahjongg, and it's by 8Floor?  What the heck! Gah!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 pm

My sentiment's exactly! Overreaction Gah! 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 am