Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Night Mysteries: The Amphora Prisoner

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:14 am

by Anuate Games (?)

Available at:
    Big Fish

Natalie Cole, a young writer, is late to board the ship that was to take her home to America. Already depressed by a chain of misfortunes, Natalie becomes absolutely despondent. Just when she is about to give up hope of getting home, she meets a captain at the port who is sailing a cargo ship to her very same destination, and he invites her to sail along with him and his crew. Natalie, relieved at her good fortune, agrees. Little does she know, this random stroke of good luck hasn't come without a price. Natalie has unwittingly embarked on a dangerous and exciting journey where she must prevent ancient evil from awakening inside a mysterious antique collection on board the cargo ship! Can Natalie save the crew and its captain from evil spirits and still return home?

• Enjoy puzzles and mini games!
    • Captivating and outstanding storyline
    • Fascinating quests

Click images to enlarge

Re: Night Mysteries: The Amphora Prisoner

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:16 am

I Don’t Actually Hate It **

Clearly, this is another game from the back of the closet, where I suspect it has been for at least a couple of years. Everything about it is old-school and low budget. But it did give you a chance to adjust brightness according to a referent point, which I liked.

The intro is a comic book styled graphics (poorly done but not dismal) and the written story (no voiceover) goes on too long. Cut scenes are video or more comics, and there are too many of them. The game graphics low resolution photo realism, clear but you can see the pixels. Another thing I did like was the ‘camera’ rolled with the movement of the ship, and you had the option to keep or discard this.

NEVER accept lifts from strangers! Especially sea captains offering you passage from Portugal to America on his cargo ship. I mean, what were you thinking? Still, it’s a different story, and therefore has its charm. You can’t sleep due to all the strange noises, so you go to investigate. After a couple of side tracks, you discover an ancient amphora with glowing green light emitted from it. It is the prison of a terrible evil, and it has gotten out. You must perform a ritual to save the crew and yourself.

The gameplay is straightforward and old-fashioned. The HO scenes (11) are interactive list, and are surprisingly difficult. Items are well disguised, and the interactions are not obvious. Some words are wrongly translated. The puzzles/mini-games (15) are also oddly difficult. They require manual dexterity as well as brain power. For example, click on 6 rods that move at different speeds in the correct order and pace so that they all move out of the lock at the same time. Hint is quick, and directional outside HO scenes. Skip is slower. There is a journal with task list and a map. The many corridors of the ship are confusing and so even though the map is neither interactive or a jump map it is useful.

Both HOs and puzzles are replayable from the main menu.

This would have been a well thought of game a couple of years back I think, and it’s not all bad even now. It does have low production standards, and is outdated, and it is also too slow with too much reading. But the story is interesting, and the puzzles are original.

I’m withholding judgement and neither recommending it or not.

I do/n’t recommend this game!

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:31 am