Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+19
vervaine
kac
pippi
lackoo
heleanthia
Butterflyshrimp
sunshinej
Fairjuno
tesamoine
Sportygal2009
Frodo
jeanniemouse
jessmom01
genkicoll
RenaissanceMom
djrum
luvtoread
Esme
JustTheFacts
23 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 37 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by djrum Thu May 22, 2014 9:21 am

I was just over at BFG checking on the TGT (Royal Envoy whatever number in the series, btw), I'm still waiting on Jessica's "new" playlist on FB.
    Anyway, I happened to read some Reviews about the newest RE. I think it's sad that one popular reviewer is threatening to cancel her membership because the TGT is not to her liking.

I admit, I'm definitely NOT a TM/Builder player. I've tried the RE games & while I think they're well-designed & seem to be pretty fun, I know I couldn't tolerate them for very long as I find I get too panicky when attempting to muddle through them.

But I do know there are a lot of people who like the TM games and for her to write posts like that...wow, it surprised me.

So, in retrospect, when it comes to sales at BF, I'm certainly glad I stock up & being the slow player I am, I'm currently backlogged with a bunch of HOPA games!
    Whether you call it Game Hoarding or the more pleasant Game Collecting, personally, I call it Buying Way Too Many Games...I just may start calling it "Smart Shopping" for all those times when I see a TM/Builder, a M3, or any kind of game I don't play!  Wink 

Okay, stepping down off the dais now.  Silly face
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 am

Hee hee! Know just what you saying about the 'need to buy'.

I was surprised to see a TM CE on a Thursday, but good heavens! HOPAs don't own a monoply on big fish games! I'll have to go see who you're talking about! I certainly don't mind. With so few games outside HOPAs capable of packaging as a CE, what possible problem could there be?

Where do these people get all this money to buy every single CE every week?And time to play them? I find it all so weird.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 am

I am surprised to see the identity of the complainant, would have expected a more even handed approach from her, but all things considered the fishies are behaving themselves remarkably well considering the opportunity for more venting. Clearly it is a controversial move, but, hey, Jessica did say changes were coming and remember, one sparrow does not a summer make or words to that effect.

I'm proud of them lol  Elk grin 

genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu May 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Things aren't looking all that great.  The bank is requiring some really hard-to-obtain paperwork, and none of it can be ready until next week.  In the meantime, the house we were interested in has had an offer put on it, and my current landlord says we can stay past July 1st... Except that the rent will be jumping a whopping $145 a month!  We HAVE to get out, and we've nowhere to go!
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 pm

That's a HUGE jump in rent!   EEK! 

Poor Genki.   Hug  Have you seen any other houses that you like?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Thu May 22, 2014 2:29 pm

The first one was well within our comfort range, price-wise... but the ceiling was also caving in in one room.  The second one would work out to be over $1000 a month, which is tooooo much! Sweat drop

We'll find something, I know we will -- it's just hella stressful in the meantime!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Thu May 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Oh, I hate moving!! Doesn't matter what the circumstances, it is such a hassle.

For me, the big achievement of this decade has been to get myself set up so that moving is no longer desirable or necessary at long long last.

Hope, genki, to hear that that same feeling of achievement is soon within your grasp  Offering 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Fri May 23, 2014 4:29 am

djrum wrote:I happened to read some Reviews about the newest RE. I think it's sad that one popular reviewer is threatening to cancel her membership because the TGT is not to her liking.
    Out of curiosity I checked to see who you were referring to (not that I know anyone there), and yes it's silly. Some people like posting their opinions in such a dramatic way... please, I have puh-lenty of drama at work.  Rolling Eyes  Don't like a game? Move along, folks.

FWIW I canceled my BFG membership and don't miss it. I have too many unplayed games and TBH much of what I bought from them wasn't really that good anyway. I've bought many a HOPA that boredom prevented me from finishing... faceplant  As with all things it's still the 80/20 principle and I wish I'd been more selective through the years. At the beginning of my membership I purchased rarely and carefully, and truly loved every game - each is *still* totally playable and enjoyable! But eventually I kept taking advantage of all those sales and bought waaay too many, just for the variety. I keep replaying those 20(%) GREAT games, over and over. Oh well. Snicker  Lately I've been getting more into euro board and card games. I like the social interaction, either playing with DH (who's largely bored by computer games  Cry) or with friends & neighbors.

Genki, I'm sending positive thoughts and (hopefully waves of luck & energy) your way daily.  Heart  Offering  Two thumbs up
    volnole68
    volnole68

Post by volnole68 Fri May 23, 2014 5:03 am

Genki, I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time!  Still sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way!  I do love your positive attitude!!!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 am

I only recognize a few names over at BF anymore when looking at the Reviews.

R-Mom, I have to agree with you about the selection of games over the years. I have purchased quite a few CEs and after finishing I'm like, "Geesh, could've settled for the SE or not bought it at all."
    I've also suffered from frequent bouts of game burnout.

Oh, I still love to play! I'm a firm believer in supporting the developers. And I do realize it would be impossible for them to create a kickass game every single time they gather 'round to come up with a game idea.
    My preference (even after all these years) will always be D&E games, but I do enjoy a good storyline & gameplay in any good HOPA.
    I think it's me. I've been playing for so long & maybe I'm hard to impress now, IDK.  Hmm... 
    And changing the type of game I enjoy, like going to a TM or M3, would not work for me.
    So, I stick with the HOPAs & hopa for a gem, lol!! (spell check going crazy!)

I believe I'm becoming more selective (at least, I'd like to think I am), except for the weekend sales. They get me every time!  Rolling Eyes (Two-fer sale this weekend, yay!) <--- see what I mean, I couldn't help myself!  Huh?
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 am

Twofer sales are my weakness too djrum! I can usually control myself for the rest. My big problem is having reviewed them and seen the good stuff, I am over it by the time I come to play it! I could probably get by just playing betas now - finish a game? Huh?  Snicker 
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 am

lol, JustTheFacts!! And betas are free!!  Happy bounce

Yep, my weakness, too! After waiting a bit impatiently for Jessica's video playlist to play through, I thought I saw a new Haunted Manor game slated for tomorrow.
    I could be wrong because I kind of lost interest in various segments of her video playlist & was reading different things that caught my fancy on BF's page.
    For real, I didn't want to replay the video.

If it is Haunted Manor, I may not find a suitable CE to pair it up with as I take advantage of most sales whilst maintaining my selective attitude.  Whistle (yeah, right!!)  Snicker
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Fri May 23, 2014 8:18 am

Well, this 3rd Haunted Manor game is excellent! So might take advantage myself! Didn't like no. 2 AT ALL, but they've really lifted their game for the 3rd - which is another kidnapping you into the painting one (I never get sick of these)
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri May 23, 2014 8:42 am

Good to know, JustTheFacts! I'd better start looking for another CE.

Gosh, right now I need 1 more punch for a completed PC. I was going to wait until Mon. to get Hope Lake and be done with it.
    I'd better check & make sure, don't want any "hanging" punches.
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Fri May 23, 2014 3:33 pm

I think I'll pass on the sale this time. I have too many unplayed games right now. 

As it is, I am working on the beta for Witches Legacy: The Ties That Bind...

All I can say is that the Clueless Clan might have a strong contender for "Most Idiotic HOPA Family" now. Yeesh!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Fri May 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Well, I was over at youtube to catch a peek at Haunted Manor 3 & seen a video for a HOPA game called Fright.

Ew, the opening sequence reminded me of "Jeepers Creepers 2" which I've watched like 3 times & I don't know why.
    I liked Jeepers Creepers 1 much better. It was a frightening movie, relying on the brother & sister's facial expressions of utter terror. There's no way I could watch this movie at night.

Oh brother, Esme, another dumbass family?? Hmm....is the Witches Legacy a sequel? I think I've played some of them.

I have finished Final Cut: Homage and loved it!!!! I especially liked the "In-screen" game in the "Making of" video located in the bonus section. It was different & fun!
    I think out of the 3 big E developers, Eipix is leading the pack and leaving ERS & Elephant Games behind!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sat May 24, 2014 7:21 am

Demoed  Haunted Manor Painted Beauties.    Really liked the beginning cut scenes.
    Then the game started and I got a "helper".    If any of you like little angels,  you can
    have mine!   
    But,  seeing I avoid using Hints,  I can ignore this  oh-so-happy-curly-haired-shirley-temple-
    boy-wannabe and dove into the game.
    It is on my list of to-buy.
    My only hold up is do I still want to wait for Monday????
    Its so far away for game playing,  to close for days off ending, then back to work.   Snicker
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 24, 2014 7:36 am

That angel drove me nuts!!  La la la!  But I love the game anyway!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 24, 2014 9:57 am

Yes, DJ, it is a sequel in the Witches' Legacy series. Fool man gets a mysterious letter to meet at an abandoned orphanage on the day before his wedding. And he goes. Without telling anyone. Dumbass. Then his equally bright bride-to-be follows immediately and, even though he tells her not to come out because it's a trap, she does. 

Then they get sucked up into a crow-nado and need to be rescued. Surprise.  Gah! 

Plus, there is a "helper imp" that is purple and horrible and annoying. My only beta test comment was: I hate the imp! meh 

Here's the thing: I don't think any of these are really, truly beta tests. I think they're teaser samples... like drug dealers. Here, the first taste is free, but if you want more, you have to pay. Or am I just cynical at this point? The only one I've felt was probably truly a beta test was "Fall for six hours and then don't die when you land" or whatever that one was called. Remember it?  Otherwise, no, I don't think any of these beta tests are actually tests. 

Or perhaps I am a cynical old curmudgeon.  Old Days

Last edited by Esme on Sat May 24, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 24, 2014 10:01 am

Also, because I am a sucker (who had credits and coupons) I ended up with Haunted Manor 3 and Forgotten Books: Something Something Something....  see? I've forgotten the title already. Belly laugh 

I hope they won't stink!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 24, 2014 10:12 am

I have so far resisted HM3, although I do want to get the CE for this one! But I already caved and got Grim Tales 6 as a CE. And the Queen of Shadows CE
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 24, 2014 10:15 am

Grim Tales 6... LOL!

I'm weak. After reading about the issues with Hope Lake... I blew a PCC on it. I need an intervention. 

Embarrassed  Poke with a stick  Gah!  D\\'oh!  faints
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 am

Well, of course, you are a cynical old curmudgeon! But you may be at least part right about the other stuff.

I am sure that at some time in the past betas were real. And I have seen some games changed from beta to release. Remember True Fear? The final released content was noticeably different.

But then the pond friends people started publishing the beta links and presumably there were suddenly a zillion surveys. So now they use it more in terms of market reaction than as a test.

And some have been issued 3 times before the game is actually released!
    Esme
    Esme

Post by Esme Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 pm

That's the thing... they really did serve a purpose once. Now, I honestly don't think they do, at least in most cases. 

I think the devs and portals are getting more sneaky (or savvy, depending on your POV) and are just using these to tease the players.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but just be upfront about what it is that you are doing. 

rollingpin <-- This is my curmudgeon face
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 am

Esme wrote:Grim Tales 6... LOL!

I'm weak. After reading about the issues with Hope Lake... I blew a PCC on it. I need an intervention. 

Embarrassed  Poke with a stick  Gah!  D\\'oh!  faints

An intervention  would ruin your rants and deny us of our much needed laughs!!

I came across this article that I know will make  a lot of you laugh.  Its about books
    turned into digital form.  Some of the results are interesting!

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/may/01/scanner-ebook-arms-anus-optical-character-recognition

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am