Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

+19
vervaine
kac
pippi
lackoo
heleanthia
Butterflyshrimp
sunshinej
Fairjuno
tesamoine
Sportygal2009
Frodo
jeanniemouse
jessmom01
genkicoll
RenaissanceMom
djrum
luvtoread
Esme
JustTheFacts
23 posters

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

djrum
    djrum

Dark & Eerie Games Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by djrum Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:15 am

Okay, luvtoread, I'll get Haunted Train, too! (I'll wait for the next sale, though)

lol, I play with earbuds! My favorite are ones I picked up at Family Dollar for $2.50 (I even picked up some extra pairs in case something happens). I think they're RCA.
    For cheap-o earbuds, the sound quality is sensational. (I play SongPop on fb & it's crucial to have good sound)
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am

Review is in on Shadow Shelter. I notice bfg have 16 reviews out already - nothing like a bit of controversy to get people reviewing. Most hate this game. Me, I love it and am off to pcc it for myself.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 am

Does anyone remember what you have to do with the flute in Haunted Train? I got someone pming me in bfg about it, and I can't quite get a handle... was there something about putting the holes in with a drill, but in opposite to the clue or something?
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Sorry, JustTheFacts, I only partly demo'd Haunted Train & can't remember.

I got Excursions of Evil and also, Emerald Maiden SE.

BTW, JustTheFacts, excellent Review on Shadow Shelter!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 pm

JTF  I am drawing a blank on the flute.   Do you have the CE Version  (Is the SE version out
    yet?).    If not,  I can look it up for you in the SG if you do not get an answer.

5 minutes of playing Shadow Shelter had me convinced to buy.   A couple of the comments
    had me laughing and now I just met  Thing   (Addams Family reference)    Laugh
    Frodo
    Frodo

Post by Frodo Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 pm

The TGT looks wonderful!  And LOVE the music!   Two thumbs up 
    Looks like it will have plenty of  EEK! 
    Definately getting this one.   Happy bounce
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm

I've just finished playing Shadows Shelter and though most of it didn't get too scary, there were some eek! moments. Really loved playing this one. This music was not the same as the video, that metal stuff was only in the beginning, the rest was unusual ominous but not freaking out loud and stressful.

The gameplay was all HOG, no puzzles at all really. You won't need a walkthrough, the map combined with hint will always get you through. The house has endless rooms!! I thought the game was going to go on forever. But took me about 3.5 hours, no interruptions.

Verdict - much milder than the video, but still scary at moments, with the creepiest being in the teacher's classroom, for my books. One of those games you don't want to leave, which is why I'm still up at 6.30am!!

Bed for this game addict! Cheers!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Sheesh!  Get some sleep!  Rest well~!
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 pm

JustTheFacts wrote:The gameplay was all HOG, no puzzles at all really.
    Oh well, count me out then.  Rolling Eyes 
    Now get thee to bed, woman!
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

R-mom--I also do not like straight  HO's.  But I would highly recommend you check this game out.
    It varies between HO's  and looking for objects that are drawn out  (not silhoutte--I am probably
    explaining it badly).   This game just grabbed me.  Plus the interesting things going on in the
    house and the back ground story.     The Order has,  to me,  a funny name.   I wondered how
    anyone could take that name seriously.
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

You're right, luvtoread. The objects are drawn out and that makes them a bit hard for me to find.
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Well, I'll demo it then so I can see what you're all talking about, haha.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 am

lol. Sketches might be the word luvtoread?

And yeah, brought a smile to me too. Order of the Thistle? Really, they can't be serious! Demons are supposed to be scared of you? Belly laugh 
    RenaissanceMom
    RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 am

Hey, what are you saying? Thistles are pretty darn prickly!  meh   Belly laugh
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:17 am

I finished Punished Talents: Seven Muses and it was excellent. Interesting murder mystery storyline, good balance of HO scenes & puzzles, clear graphics, non-intrusive music and smooth game flow.
    With me, if I spend too much time wandering around or trying to solve a puzzle, I forget what the story's about when I get back to it (if only for a few minutes, but it's enough to make a difference in the game flow for me).

I've started Shadow Shelter. The visuals are great! It's also not as easy as I originally thought it would be. I was stumped and had to go back & find what I needed by clicking on various objects.
    I'm not sure, but would this game be classified as one of those "Escape" games? Where you have to (normally) work a puzzle or something to "escape" a room.
    I'd only demo'd a game called "Rooms" at BFG. I think it's a type of "Escape" game or whatever they're called.
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:13 am

I should get Punished Talents - but *sigh* "it's on the list", to buy when I can afford more games!

Okay, everybody, the time has come, I've put it off for almost 2 years, but I am finally gonna try to play MCF 8: Escape From Ravenhearst through to the finish! I wimped out other times because it was too difficult and too gross, but I've replayed all the other MCFs now, am as prepared as I can be.

Wish me luck!

*deep breath*

JTF
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 am

Hi to all from frigid PA  c-cold .  JTF, can't wait to hear your take on MCF EFR!  That game was somewhat polarizing at the time as I recall; a love-it-or-hate-it thing for many.  I was one of the love-it folks.  It was certainly edgy & grotesque, & yeah, straight up gross sometimes, but I thought it brilliant & just loved the gameplay & the challenge. Quite the trip.  Good Luck!  I'm gonna give Shadow Shelter a try, altho' i'm not one for serial HOscenes at all... but it sounds intriguing.  Has anyone checked out or played Face Noir that's at DailyRoyale today?
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 am

Face Noir is made by the same folks who did Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, which was excellent (and I've only played the first chapter!)  I have no doubt that it's worth the $5.99 they're asking for it!  You can always try the demo here, first:  http://postudios.com/face_noir/ (that's Phoenix Online's official website, so it's safe Wink  )
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 am

Thank you, Genki! i'm not familiar with Erica Reed either, so i'm off to check 'em out.
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 am

I did a review for the first episode HERE -- no spoilers Wink
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Genki, it sounds very cool, & like something i'd enjoy.  I played the short demo for Face Noir, & it's kinda cool - mystery about a PI in depression era NY.  I love the period stuff, & the music is so right on, it's great - you'd expect Bogart to be sitting behind a desk wondering about the Maltese Falcon  Smile  Also dl'd the demo for Erica Reed 1, but for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere on my comp!  It's the weirdest thing  Huh? ... but from your review & recommendation, it sounds like a game i'd like so will pick it up soon & check it out too.  Thanks so much for the good info.  Good grief, you are a storehouse of knowledge!  I'm in awe of how you just immediately know something about every little reference.  You are a gamer goddess  We\'re Unworthy!
    djrum
    djrum

Post by djrum Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Good luck, JustTheFacts! I'm another one who absolutely loved MCF: EFR. Man, the puzzles were killer! I got it & played it before the difficulty level was changed and it was very hard.
    With the dark storyline, disturbing graphics & sound FX, it's definitely not a pretty game.
    And I thought the gameplay was just awesome!

jessmom, make sure you demo Shadow Shelter first. It is one HO scene after another, yet they do vary. There's the typical lists, silhouettes, and a few of the find a number of this or that. And tasks, but no real logic puzzles.
    It is good, though. I'm starting to get lost now so I'm using the transporter map.
    jessmom01
    jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Djrum, I never knew they changed the difficulty level on MCF EFR - ??  I got it about the minute it was released, & I agree, it wasn't easy, & pretty demented (just another thing to like about it  Wink   ).  Good advice to demo SS - I was just gonna blow a game credit & dl it based on the video & what looks like pretty decent graphics, but if it's literally one HOscene after another, i'm not so sure I can stick it out.  
    Still can't find the Erica on my comp, Genki, but the trailers are just awesome - part 1 is definitely gonna end up in my collection!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Well, I made it to the finish line, with a LOT of help from the walkthrough! Practically looked up every step I made. Had to play in windowed version so I could see the damn thing. Guess I shoulda bought the CE, huh?

Although I still disliked the early part of the game, I did get right into it, but not until after we left dear old mum behind.

Love the Dalimar actor, so very deranged. The really frightening thing is, he's a spitting image for my brother-in-law! Whose a well regarded criminal defense lawyer, so smart and scary guy like this one, evil genius type, and he'd probably get the bastard off with time served.  EEK! 
    luvtoread
    luvtoread

Post by luvtoread Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm

dj--the transporter map in Shadow Shelter is not much of a help to me.  I was directed to a room
    and just could not find it. The one room that showed something to be done just had nothing to do.  Also,  need to find more billiard balls.   I thought I had collected them all.

This deep freeze may last for 3 weeks   Cry  c-cold .    The area I live in will not be hit with
    the snow,  but wind chill will put us way below zero.

I know this is January,   but....sheesh!!

JTF--I just saw your post.   I LOVED MCF: EFR  I cannot believe you already played it
    through.   Good for you.      Your Brother-in-Law is Dalimar?   faints

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 pm