Welcome to GGG, where we talk casual games, books, movies, recipes, indie games, and MORE!

Dark & Eerie Games Thread

RenaissanceMom

Re: Dark & Eerie Games Thread

Post by RenaissanceMom on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I have Dracula Origin and never played it... I guess I should.  Big smile 
    And I'm definitely a member of the Fraidy Cat Club, though I was disappointed by Scratches (especially after fearfully putting it off for so long, lol).

jessmom01

Post by jessmom01 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 pm

hey everyone.  Genki, I think i'm a day late & a dollar short in my reply (it's a theme with me :(  If it's good or better to wait & see if a few more folks want to do a group thingie with Scratches, that's great.  i'll give it a try whenever; sounds like fun.  Talking about LFA'S, my first attempt was a major fail - it was Sherlock Holmes, I think The Mummy or something like that.  I had a terrible time, couldn't figure out what to do & just kept doing circles in some big museum room 'til I was dizzy, except for when it froze up. It went on the shelf & that's where it's remained, & I didn't try another for a long time.  I've not played many, but walkthroughs sure help.  Started Hidden Expedition Smithsonian, & it's pretty decent.  I liked the last 2 better, I think - Devil's Triangle & Unchartered Islands.  Got a few demos on queue, hoping to hit on something with some positive Creep Factor soon.  Totally off the subject... got home & my recently rescued Shepherd/Malamute girl chewed up the pet hair brush for my vac.  I swear she's telling me she prefers the furniture to be furry.  All I can think is the replacement is costing me 2 CE games!!  Overreaction

djrum

Post by djrum on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:07 pm

lol, jessmom! That's too funny! I mean, it's not funny that you have to buy a new pet hair brush, but dogs will chew on anything.
    My sister's bulldog chewed up her couch! Now, neither one of her dogs are allowed in the living room cause my sister has put a gate up.

Thanks, Genki, for the clarification on those Dracula games. It must've been Part 3 that was chopped at BFG.

I am playing Punished Talent & enjoying it very much!

ETA: Not that BFG chopped it. It was the developers, I hear.

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 pm

EEK!  That's expensive attachment!  So sorry!

Jessmom, don't worry about Scratches -- just let me know when you're ready to play.  I've been really ill since last night, so haven't really been up to playing.

Speaking of which, I got through the first 45 minutes of Alex Hunter, but I haven't been able to get in to it yet.  Does it pick up soon, or did I just happen across one of those games that just doesn't click?

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:36 am

Alex Hunter--I had forgotten that I never finished the Bonus Chapter.   I found it to be challenging
     and different.     You do eventually get to another location.   Remember if you really get stuck
    there is a walkthrough.  Its those footprints on the bottom right.
    But if you really don't like it,  I say give up.  
    I hope you do not have the flu.   They have been saying the Swine Flu has been going
    around.    Sick 
    I have seen your  Scratches group play idea.   I just might play that again. 

I finished playing  Fall of the New Age,  am getting through  Esoterica.   Nice to have
    games I really enjoy.

dj--I have had Seven Muses in Trouble     Huh?  dl/d for awhile.    Need to play it now that I know
    you are.

jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm back!!! Happy bounce 

FINALLY moved into my new home with a real internet connection (took three freaking weeks!)  Overreaction 
    Now I'm digging back to see what awesome games I missed.  Hope everyone is ok!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Welcome! 

Congrats on the inet connection! I know how that feels, when you move, there are always dramas with the new connections.

You've missed some pretty great games out there. Latest big hit is Eipix's Amaranthine Voyage 2: The Living Mountain CE. I have only demo'd 20 mins and it's a definite buy!

Haunted Train is well worth a look too.  Smile 

genkicoll

Post by genkicoll on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Yay!  Nice to see you again, Jeannie! Happy bounce

Esme

Post by Esme on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Welcome Back, Jeannie!

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Glad you are finally connected    Sunny ...let the gaming begin!!     Happy bounce

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Welcome back, Jeannie, and congratulations!  Yahoo!

djrum

Post by djrum on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 am

Hey there, jeanniemouse! Good to see you back!  Happy bounce 

luvtoread, I have Fall of the New Age and Esoterica, too! I haven't played them yet. I just bought Amaranthine Voyage 2 yesterday (took advantage of the sale).

I was going to get Haunted Train, but too many issues in the Tech thread. I think I'll wait on it.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Genki!  Offering

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:28 am

dj-  I played the demo yesterday of Haunted Train and just bought it  (yup,  sale is still
    advertised).   I  have had no problems with it.
    I guess you cannot sleep either? 2muchcompy

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

Oh. My. Goodness! Wait til you get an eyeful of the latest TGT at big fish! THE most scary, dark and eerie - nah! eerie doesn't cut it. Downright terrifying more like. backaway 

Just watched the video, this one is really out there. And the music OMG! La la la! 

Stayed tuned D&E fans, review coming as soon as this one finishes downloading.

djrum

Post by djrum on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:04 pm

luvtoread, I was up late last night playing Punished Talents. I've finished the main game, working on the bonus now.
    I didn't have any issues with the demo of Haunted Train. I'm reading the problems are starting after purchasing. And with my luck, I'd probably be one who has problems.

I was just over at BF checking the TGT. Looks scary & very dark. Dark as in people can't see anything. There was also mention of lots of HO scenes (yay!). Hmm....'course, won't do me no good if I can't see anything. But I will demo for sure!

djrum

Post by djrum on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 pm

lol, JustTheFacts, you posted while I was writing. You will demo before I get a chance to, so I'm looking forward to your Review!!
    (I haven't even watched the video yet. I was going by the screenshots)

oooh, I'm already scared!

ETA: Wow, I just watched the video. What's with the metal-headache-inducing music? Man, I've got to demo soon!

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:21 pm

I LOVE the music - all that rage and pent up violence. What a wonderful sense of atmosphere the game's it shows, in just 60 sec!!

Never thought of it before, but thinking about it, it is a surprise no one else has used that metal stuff. Remember "Blade"? The rave in the butcher's warehouse? With the vamps? This reminds me of that, and that was one scary scene!

djrum

Post by djrum on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes, you are right, JustTheFacts. I wonder why Metal's never been used before in a D&E game. It sure pumps up the suspense in the feeling of urgency to get things done.
    I happen to enjoy listening to some Metal bands, as long as they aren't screaming the lyrics.

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:35 pm

I only like it for things like this, atmosphere. Or to express some of that pent-up violence I mentioned for myself! rollingpin 

RenaissanceMom

Post by RenaissanceMom on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Not a huge metal fan myself, and certainly not for games which I play to relax.   OH!
    ETA - As soon as I saw the frame of Audrey 2 I had to laugh. Not too original, lol.

jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Oh my gosh!  JustTheFacts and djrum!  I just went to the site based on your recommendation and it does look amazing!  (And WOW!  I'm a huge lover of game music as many of you know and that music is fantastic!).
    Buying based on that alone!  It's worth a PCC.

jeanniemouse

Post by jeanniemouse on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Oh: and I'm way late to the game but I took advantage of the long weekend to start Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches.  It's been sitting in my purchase history for years and I recently tripped over it again.  And...there went my weekend and everything I hoped to accomplish!  If it weren't for the walkthrough I would have quit long ago; Adventure games aren't my strong suit at all but the storyline is keeping me going.

JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Well, it is everything it promised to be and a lot more - the graphics and vo's etc. are excellent as well as game being great in creepiness. Pure HOG. Have played 30mins so far for about 5 HOPs! Clear as bell, 3 types so far. no puzzles. having trouble sorting out the hint, but I'm sure it's me.

Back to it now and review within the hour

djrum

Post by djrum on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Most definitely, JustTheFacts! I demo'd it, too! It certainly fits the bill for dark & creepy! And it's from Nevosoft. I haven't seen anything from them in quite awhile.
    Anyhow, I used a PCC for it.

I'm off to use some more PCCs (and get those extra punches)!

Oh, jeanniemouse, I tried Rhiannon some time ago & just couldn't get into it. Kudos to you for sticking with it!!!  Two thumbs up

luvtoread

Post by luvtoread on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:07 pm

I nearly missed today's  TGT  Shadow Shelter.  Good thing I came here.   Smile 
    I am dl/ding it now.

dj--I am having no problems with  Haunted  Train.   The only problem is now I am
    in the middle of 2 games.   HT  and Punished Talents.

I didn't play video of Shadow Shelter as my daughter is sleeping  (she works nights)
    and I try to be considerate.   I need to buy new headphones.

jeanniemouse--I love Adventure games,  but I admit to giving up on Rhiannon. 
    I just became bored with it.

Which reminds me   genki--I have A Vampyre's Story on my wishlist at Gamersgate.
    Would like to play it if and when it goes on sale.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:56 am

Zoo Tek Phoenix

Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:56 am