Gamer Chick and Mom. Games are My Passion, and Here You'll Find Gaming Reviews & Info, plus Talk about Books, Movies, Music and More!

2 posters

Escape 1: Rosecliff Island

JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Empty Escape 1: Rosecliff Island

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:40 am

Escape Rosecliff Island
    by PopCap/Spintop Games - March, 2009

Series links: Escape 1: Rosecliff Island, Escape 2: Whisper Valley, Escape 3: The Emerald Star

Available at:
    Big Fish
    GameHouse*
    iWin*

*Can get Rosecliff and Whisper Valley Bundled at both GameHouse and iWin.

Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Escape_rosecliff_island_main

An unexpected storm has left you shipwrecked on a mysterious  and remote private island. Seek and find helpful objects as you solve  puzzles and attempt to Escape Rosecliff Island!  Discover Hidden Objects, and play clever minigames as you piece together  your getaway. Investigate dark locations and unlock bonus levels as you  explore Rosecliff Island. Can you find an escape and make it back to  civilization safely?

• Fun minigames
    • Unlock bonus levels
    • Escape Rosecliff Island!

Click images to enlarge
    Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Th_screen1_Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Th_screen2_Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Th_screen3
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Escape 1: Rosecliff Island Empty Re: Escape 1: Rosecliff Island

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:43 am

Developer: PopCap Games

Don’t Buy It Even On Sale  
    Sunny

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

This is the very first HOG I ever bought, and at the time I was pretty impressed. Now, it just embarrasses me. But making great sacrifices for my art, I played some of it again before writing this, and I’ll try to find something good to say about it. *rueful smile*

Firstly, this is STRICTLY A HO GAME. There is no adventure, and VERY FEW VERY EASY and repeated PUZZLES. This game is entirely about the HOs. It is completely linear and pre-determined by its structure.

You have 25 LEVELS to beat, and an increasing number of HO scenes to complete within each. You also have one puzzle per level, and a (very generous) time limit. You cannot skip any part of the game. At the end of each chapter, you receive a piece of equipment.

You clock up points on how quickly you discover the HO in a scene, and whether you use the hint button. There are also COLLECTIBLES found in each scene that unlock freeplay HO games.

There is a story – you are shipwrecked on an eerie island and must find the 25 pieces of  equipment needed to escape. No interaction with other characters or beings, as far as you can tell you are the only living thing here.

The GRAPHICS are AWFUL. They are FUZZY, of course, the game is 4 years old, and for their time, quite high quality. But even in their day, they must have been ugly, MONOCHROMATIC and depressing. The items are scattered everywhere, badly DISTORTED and almost unrecognisable as what they are. There are, allegedly, 2400 items to find. If that’s true – 2400 items is simply not enough. Everything starts looking the same.

Even if you have never played a HO game before, I think there are better choices for your first practice runs, so I can’t think of anyone (maybe a classic game collector?) to whom I would recommend this game.

I Don't Recommend This Game!
    genkicoll
    genkicoll

Post by genkicoll Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:08 am

I actually really liked the atmosphere of this game when I first started playing it, and I liked collecting the locks and other little things they threw in there... but it's just the same scenes over and over again.  And over and OVER AND OVER!! Sweat drop  I really wanted to see what would happen with the items I'd collected at the end of the game, and I persisted until level 18 before I saw that there are something like twenty-five levels!  faint dead away   I couldn't take it anymore, I quit and never looked back!
    JustTheFacts
    JustTheFacts

Post by JustTheFacts Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am

Ha ha, I know exactly what you mean, but would believe it? I actually played this game to the end 3 times!!

It was one of the first HOGs I ever saw, so didn't know any better first time, used it to teach my old mum how to play HOGS, and lie down behind her while she played, giving her the answer of where to look for the items from memory! With my eyes closed and nowhere near the scene. Seemed like I dreamed those darn games.

Of course, then I found big fish, and as you say, never looked back Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm